Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Western Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Washing Routines (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363094)

Buckmommy 03-06-2012 10:18 AM

Washing Routines

Hi mommas,

I am new to cloth diapering, and I am looking at prepping all my used cloth diapers. What is your routine? Also, what is your regular washing routine? Which detergent do you use? Dryer, or hang to dry? I'm worried about destroying the PUL.

Thanks Ladies!

Laurshar 03-06-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckmommy
Hi mommas,

I am new to cloth diapering, and I am looking at prepping all my used cloth diapers. What is your routine? Also, what is your regular washing routine? Which detergent do you use? Dryer, or hang to dry? I'm worried about destroying the PUL.

Thanks Ladies!

If you bought used, you don't need to prep them :) when you buy new, you have to wash it on hot a lot (like 6) of times to reach it's full absorbency.
Here is my routine:
Cold wash with white vinegar
Hot wash with Biokleen
Cold rinse
Tumble dry low

When I used to use PUL, I never had issues with the dryer. You can try both ways and see what works for you, though. Be advised that line drying tends to leave garments/diapers feeling slightly stiff.
I love my biokleen. After I use the rest of our commercial detergent, I am going to start using biokleen on regular laundry as well (waste not, want not!).
Good luck! Welcome to the addiction ;)

~Cricket~ 03-06-2012 01:09 PM

Re: Washing Routines

I try to keep my PUL covers out of the dryer, and just let them air dry, myself. Maybe that's not necessary, but I feel safer that way. :) I wash the PUL covers with a cold water load of regular clothes, and then hang them up.
The diapers get a cold water rinse first, then a hot water wash in Charlie's soap, and an extra rinse. I line dry them when it's warm enough, and put them in the dryer when it's cold. My SIL uses Tide Free and Clear with her diapers and has good success with that.
What kind of diapers do you have, by the way?

Buckmommy 03-06-2012 01:46 PM

Right now I have 25 bummis prefolds, and 8 bummis whisper wraps for the new born stages. And I also have 5 os Kawaii pocket diapers, 1 hipkiddo os pocket diaper, 1 amp AIO, 1 Monkey Doodlez bamboo AIO, and 1 Thirsties pocket diaper. All used except the Hipkiddo. I wanted to buy used to see what works best for my son, then i'll register for the ones that I think will be the best fit:thumbsup:

jennayoung99 03-06-2012 06:53 PM

my wash routine is
cold soak/rinse
hot wash/cold rinse with tide F&G powder and 2 cap fulls of bleach
warm wash/cold rinse no detergent
fitteds, inserts, and AIOs go in the dryer, hang dry covers.

i think people are way too afraid that they are going to reck their diapers, i used to be one of these people. i don't "baby" my diapers any more and they are fine, and are actually clean now.

2princesses&1prince 06-15-2012 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckmommy (Post 14760072)
Hi mommas,

Thanks Ladies!

I do a cold rinse, warm/hot wash with detergent followed by a cold rinse.... Use lots of water and rinse extra if you need too! There shouldn't be any bubbles left in the water when rinsing...
Buying used is a great way to save money, but make sure you strip your diapers (as you don't know what was used on them, or if there are any germys left on them also)
I use tide free and clear (but the powder) and it works great... Or Purex free and clear...I used bleach on my inserts once (the ones I bought used) but I don't use bleach on my covers/pockets.. I also try to hang dry to covers/shells etc as much as possible! Not necessary but I would like to prolong the life as much as possible and hope that they may have some resale value after I am done with them!

weliveintheforest 08-13-2012 11:54 AM

My usual routine is similar to everyone elses:
cold pre-rinse
hot wash w/Nellies
cold rinse

If needed I occasionally do a second wash with some vinegar, maybe once a month if they seem stinky. I usually hang up my pul covers, pockets, and wetbags so the dryer doesn't run as long, or on nice days I hang it all. I don't think the dryer hurts the pul, but over time the elastic will wear out faster I think.

Lagoon Baby 08-13-2012 09:28 PM

I usually line dry my diapers and put my inserts and fitteds in the dryer. I also will throw my PUL diapers in the dryer on low once in a while to seal the PUL. Just be aware with your laundry routine that some things can void your warranty. It can feel pretty overwhelming with all the wash info- it can take some trial and error sometimes, but you will find what works for you :)

Lagoon Baby 08-13-2012 09:31 PM

My wash routine is with a front loader. I do a delicate cycle (no spin), then a hot wash with Nellies and extra rinse and lately I have been adding the odd extra hot wash with no detergent.