Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hypnobabies CD/books or classes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363297)

alliecatn1 03-06-2012 04:19 PM

Hypnobabies CD/books or classes?

Yup, what the subject said! I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow so I know it's time to get on it! I luckily live in an area where classes are readily available, but I don't know if there are advantages to doing that over a homestudy course. Does anybody have any experience or suggestions? TIA!

mommymandy 03-06-2012 04:58 PM

I am doing the home study guide and I luv it so far, I wanted to take the class but its much more $$.. and I decided to spend the $ on a doula :)
I think if u are a disciplined student the home course will be fine, but I've heard wonderful things about the class :)

Sophia&Daria 03-06-2012 06:06 PM

I have a question: does the home course come in CDs? I am reading the book right now. It's really interesting. I also would rather invest on a doula.

alliecatn1 03-06-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia&Daria
I have a question: does the home course come in CDs? I am reading the book right now. It's really interesting. I also would rather invest on a doula.

Yeah, the home course also uses CDs. I've only heard great things about the program so I'm excited to try it!

Dragonfly75 03-13-2012 06:19 AM

Re: Hypnobabies CD/books or classes?

I've done the home study twice and loved it so much that I became a Hypnobabies instructor. From my experience with both learning methods, I have seen that a Live Class with a good teacher really is the best way to learn. All Hypnobabies instructors have a background in both hypnosis and childbirth, so they have a lot to add to the class. I'm a certified Hypnotherapist, as well as a doula, so I can help students with individual issues and tailor the information to their needs.

Right now I am teaching a couple who already did the Home Study version of Hypnobabies for this pregnancy. I wasn't sure how much the mama would get out of my class, but she told me after the first class how amazing it was. In her opinion, although she loved the Home Study, it didn't come close to what she was learning in my class and she loved that her birth partner was learning it all with her this way. She felt that the she was getting so much more by having someone explain everything and answer questions along the way.

That being said, if someone really wants to do the Home Study, I have a few words of advice. First, make sure you are buying the complete, newest version of the Home Study. Some people sell old versions, or don't include all the info, or sell the Live Class kits, which are not designed for self-study and don't include the materials a self-study student needs. Also, be active on the Hypnobabies students Yahoo chat group -- this is your place to ask questions and get answers! And, of course, take it seriously. I think Live Class students have increased dedication because of the money they are paying and the fact that they are checking in with their instructor regularly. It can be easy for things to "fall through the cracks" with self-study -- don't let that happen!

Also, many Hypnobabies instructors offer Home Study Advantage classes where they hold one session with a Home Study couple to review the information and hypnotic techniques. You might consider that if you go the Home Study route.

Dragonfly75 03-13-2012 06:22 AM

Re: Hypnobabies CD/books or classes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia&Daria (Post 14762662)

Just want to chime in you are probably reading the HypnoBirthing book. Hypnobabies Home Study is a complete course designed to teach the same hypno-anesthesia techniques we teach in our classes. The HypnoBirthing book is really just an intro to hypnosis for birth. Hope that helps!