Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   vbac mamas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363636)

Sophia&Daria 03-07-2012 12:23 PM

vbac mamas

Where I live, OBs don't do Vbacs much. I barely found one that was OK with trying as long as she is comfortable. Once she feels baby is not doing well, she says she doesn't want to take any risks. She says I need to come to the hospital as soon as I think I'm in labor so she can monitor the baby. But then I know once you get in, you are on the clock.

What do I do to avoid unneccessary csection? What did you do? How did it go? Any good sources out there to help me better my chances?

fluffybunsdiapers 03-07-2012 12:34 PM

I am no help, trying for a vbac, but there is a vbac section under csections, might be good to post there too :-)

Hopper Graphics 03-07-2012 12:41 PM

Re: vbac mamas

As long as there are no issues, you should be able to stay home as long as possible. You are absolutely right about being put on the clock when you arrive. I believe laboring at home and having that free range of motion without being hooked up to all the monitors was crucial for my VBAC. My labor started about 3am (fuzzy...can't even remember now). Got to the hospital around 9, and baby was born about 11am. It was a full hour after arriving before the nurses hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor. The doctor was all "you have to get here as soon as labor starts so we can watch you"...he didn't even make it in the room to catch the baby.

Have you sought out an ICAN chapter in your area? If there is one, you might ask local VBAC mamas which doctor they recommend most for a VBAC and what created optimal conditions for them.

Good luck, mama!

Sabra 03-07-2012 09:32 PM

At the very least, hit up ICAN's website and find out if the hospital at which you plan to deliver "allows" VBACs. If not, try to find one that does. You may also want to consider switching providers--as long as the baby isn't here, it's not too late.

You can also just be stubborn as hell. Don't go in immediately. Don't go in until you just have to. Do not sign a form consenting to c-section. (You can, LEGALLY, cross out that portion of a blanket consent-to-treat form and notate that you do not consent to a c-section.) In theory they can turn you away; in practice it is incredibly unlikely, especially if you are actively laboring when you do show up. Remember YOU let them perform surgery on you; they don't let you not have surgery performed.

Even the ACOG is on your side.

Sophia&Daria 03-07-2012 10:53 PM

I really do want a vbac but the doc says there is a very small chance things will go bad, but if things go bad, I may have to live with it all my life... like baby gets a brain damage. That scares me. I do want this but not if it will hurt my baby. Ykwim?

mabelinoad 03-07-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia&Daria (Post 14769591)
I really do want a vbac but the doc says there is a very small chance things will go bad, but if things go bad, I may have to live with it all my life... like baby gets a brain damage. That scares me. I do want this but not if it will hurt my baby. Ykwim?

definitely research, research, research. set some time everyday or a few times a week and read as much as you can on ICANs website about vbacs, on ACOGs site about vbacs, in the VBAC forum i added some links on a thread with info about vbacs.

a vbac is BETTER for baby and for you. Yes, terrible things are possible in a vbac, but terrible things ARE possible with a csection. You have a less than 1% chance of uterine rupture with a vbac, and even that...while totally and completely a big deal, is not always the end all its made out to be. Please, spend some time reading. also check out the books The Silent Knife and Ina Mays Guide to Birth :thumbsup:

vba2c hopeful here!

oh and like pp said, try to stay home as long as you feel comfortable. a doula/midwife would be great if you can afford one to stay with you. some can monitor you at home, encourage you to stay focused, advocate for you in the hospital when you're in laborland.

g'luck!

crunch!910 03-08-2012 06:10 AM

I'm told to come straight in with any contractions, but I'm staying home and treating my labor the same as if it were my first. Staying home and comfortable for as long as possible and only hoping to arrive at the hospital after 5-7cm.

Sophia&Daria 03-08-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunch!910
I'm told to come straight in with any contractions, but I'm staying home and treating my labor the same as if it were my first. Staying home and comfortable for as long as possible and only hoping to arrive at the hospital after 5-7cm.

Aren't you nervous that you won't know if something goes wrong?

CountryChicMama 03-08-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mabelino (Post 14769808)
definitely research, research, research. set some time everyday or a few times a week and read as much as you can on ICANs website about vbacs, on ACOGs site about vbacs, in the VBAC forum i added some links on a thread with info about vbacs.

a vbac is BETTER for baby and for you. Yes, terrible things are possible in a vbac, but terrible things ARE possible with a csection. You have a less than 1% chance of uterine rupture with a vbac, and even that...while totally and completely a big deal, is not always the end all its made out to be. Please, spend some time reading. also check out the books The Silent Knife and Ina Mays Guide to Birth :thumbsup:

vba2c hopeful here!

oh and like pp said, try to stay home as long as you feel comfortable. a doula/midwife would be great if you can afford one to stay with you. some can monitor you at home, encourage you to stay focused, advocate for you in the hospital when you're in laborland.

g'luck!

Yes, yes yes!! And that's a less than a 1% chance of uterine rupture of any other pregnant woman who's never had a c/s!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia&Daria (Post 14770437)
Aren't you nervous that you won't know if something goes wrong?

I labored at home (at the approval of my OB and MW group) as well. I arrived at 7-8cms. They did give me some things to be on the look out for such as moderate to heavy bleeding, severe pain that doesn't stop (not a contraction), etc., then I was to head to the hospital. You don't have to labor at home, but the longer you sit at the hospital under the VBAC policies (which normally include being constantly monitored w/ IVs, etc) the lower chance you have at a successful VBAC. :/

mommyria2 03-08-2012 05:02 PM

I'm planning a vbac with an ob & midwives practice. They told me to come in at 3-5 min apart and that I should labor at home for a while to have the best chance at success. I also have a doula who is experienced with vbacs.