Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   How many pp mama cloth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363989)

2+2macht4 03-08-2012 03:41 AM

How many pp mama cloth?

Can I use heavy pads or do I need something more absorbant.

How many do I need.

Who has the best price.

And how many ice pad ones should I get for the first days

Thanks so much

raisingcropsandbabies 03-08-2012 04:51 AM

Re: How many pp mama cloth?

I think it depends on the woman... I bleed heavily for a few weeks (around 3) and need super thick disposable pads. I would buy 1 package of disposable just in case you have a c-section because you won't want to be doing laundry during the first part of recovery. It won't be enough to get you through postpartum (typically), but then it's not a waste of money if you don't need them. Even if you don't end up with a c/s, you are supposed to rest and relax for the first 10 days and unless you have someone who is fine washing out mama cloth, you should buy disposable as you shouldn't be doing laundry. Per my old midwife. And the other is just my opinion (i'm a be prepared kind of girl). :)

I never bought the ice ones. I tore really bad with my first son and the midwife had be pour witch hazel on pads and stick them in the freezer and then pull out and put on as needed. It helped with the swelling, pain, burning, etc from stitches. I think they are cheaper than the already made ones.

bigmamakelsey 03-08-2012 04:44 PM

:popcorn:
I'd like to know, too. I have a dozen (mixture of PP and long length heavy pads) I'm hoping that'll be enough.
I really love tree hugger PP pads, I use them at night during the first 1-2 days of my cycle. They're comfy, absorbent, and really full coverage.

Catbutt Diapers 03-08-2012 06:21 PM

I'm really looking for info on this too! I would love to find someone with knowledge of how to make PP pads, as I really should NOT be spending anything on myself right now!

BenAar0n 03-18-2012 07:51 PM

Bummer, I was hoping to find an answer here... I'm making some PP mama cloth and I have cut out the materials to make 10 pp mama cloth that are 12 inches long and was planning on making some 10 inch ones too and maybe some lighter ones for later.

Not doing laundry for the first while? Lol, if I don't do laundry it won't happen, and we'll be doing diaper laundry anyway so they'll just get thrown in with the diaper laundry when it's time to wash. So no extra work at all besides emptying the water first, which I'm sure even someone who's had a section could handle ;)

mrscompgeek 03-19-2012 03:28 AM

Really depends on the person. I wasn't a super heavy bleeder. Bled heavy enough for pp cloth for 1.5 weeks. Then it was just light for another 3 weeks. I had 5 pp pads, 4 heavy and 8 regular. But i was washing cloth diapers every other day so I washed my pads then too.

2+2macht4 03-19-2012 04:37 AM

I am going to have 2 in cloth diapers, so I will have to wash at least every other day.

So I want to plan for enough for 2 days, with a few extra for drying time.

I am not sure yet if I will be told I need another csection. If I am going for vbac I will want some ice pads. I know that.

I already have 1 overnight

and 4 heavys

and a bunch or regular pads, no liners they were all too short for me so I sold them.

crystalanne79 03-19-2012 06:44 PM

I think it's best to have a dozen but some women can also get by with 6 post-partum size and 6+ heavy flow for when those are washing. I know after my c-section the bigger the pad the better because mobility was an issue so a regular heavy pad would not have cut it for me.

momomom 03-19-2012 07:03 PM

I have 12 super-heavy overnight pp pads and 12 heavy flow regular pads. I made mine with my own pattern, but FERN & FAERIE's pattern is AWESOME and not too $$$. I also have 12 large PF's for the super-heavy flow for the first day or 2. I will wash every 4 days with this stash.

I used scraps of fabric from diaper making, etc, so my pad stash alone officially paid for my new snap press :).

I do NOT wash my pads with my diapers. I think it makes the dipes smell fishy and also pads do better not washed on HOT. And I always wash dipes on hot. HYDROGEN PEROXIDE rocks for pads. I rinse my pad in cold h2o while on the toilet, then squeeze out and douse with hydogen peroxide, then toss in a bucket with a bit of water. Have done a wetbag, too.

I think fewer pads is fine if someone else can help wash them, but I like to wash my own so I prefer to go longer in between washes when postpartum. And again, just be aware that some mamas (maybe with hard water?) can get FUNKY smelling cloth dipes if they wash pads with dipes, unless you obsessively rinse your pads- and that takes a loooong time, longer than I want to spend in the bathroom to pee. You know the metallic/ iron smell of blood? That smell.

HTH!

SeaChellsRun 03-19-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momomom (Post 14826296)
I have 12 super-heavy overnight pp pads and 12 heavy flow regular pads. I made mine with my own pattern, but FERN & FAERIE's pattern is AWESOME and not too $$$. I also have 12 large PF's for the super-heavy flow for the first day or 2. I will wash every 4 days with this stash.

I used scraps of fabric from diaper making, etc, so my pad stash alone officially paid for my new snap press :).

I do NOT wash my pads with my diapers. I think it makes the dipes smell fishy and also pads do better not washed on HOT. And I always wash dipes on hot. HYDROGEN PEROXIDE rocks for pads. I rinse my pad in cold h2o while on the toilet, then squeeze out and douse with hydogen peroxide, then toss in a bucket with a bit of water. Have done a wetbag, too.

I think fewer pads is fine if someone else can help wash them, but I like to wash my own so I prefer to go longer in between washes when postpartum. And again, just be aware that some mamas (maybe with hard water?) can get FUNKY smelling cloth dipes if they wash pads with dipes, unless you obsessively rinse your pads- and that takes a loooong time, longer than I want to spend in the bathroom to pee. You know the metallic/ iron smell of blood? That smell.

HTH!

What's your wash routine? rinse, warm cycle, extra rinse?