Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Natural safe depression cures? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1364545)

FormallyMichele 03-09-2012 09:04 AM

Natural safe depression cures?

Anyone had any luck with any Herbal teas:blessed thistle, mothers wort, etc? In helping with depression and anxiety?

MamaZnR 03-09-2012 09:40 AM

Cognitive behavioral therapy can help as well as exercise (hard to do though when you feel bad) FWIW I am on zoloft bfing and took it while pregnant. It helps tremendously. Hope you can find a solution you are comfortable with. Mama needs to be happy as possible. PM me if you need to talk :).

L J 03-09-2012 09:55 AM

I have tried a lot of things, including exercise and herbs, with no real change. I give up, and I'm starting Zoloft.

I know a great place to start is with Susan Weed's herbal for the childbearing year book. I healthier because of it, even if nothing has been able to lift this persistent depression and anxiety.

mrosehughes 03-09-2012 09:14 PM

My husband has been using st johns wort instead of his previous antidepressant (he's tried a few different ones), and he likes it a lot. Similar results with no side affects. Kellymom wasn't clear whether it is safe during breasfeeding; maybe someone can check dr hale.

ExpatMama1990 03-10-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrosehughes
My husband has been using st johns wort instead of his previous antidepressant (he's tried a few different ones), and he likes it a lot. Similar results with no side affects. Kellymom wasn't clear whether it is safe during breasfeeding; maybe someone can check dr hale.

I was under the impression it is unsafe while breastfeeding. I did have positive results with it after I stopped breastfeeding my ODD though, so it could be worth looking into, incase it is okay.

jessicap 03-10-2012 05:31 AM

Re: Natural safe depression cures?

I have always told my clients (I am a LC) that St. Johns Wart is not okay..

But after the birth of my 4th child, I had a lot of anxiety and some depression...and my naturopath gave me Maca Maca vitamin supplement to support my female system. Within 2 weeks I was feeling 100%. I want to call it Femmessence was the name of the vitamin.

LittleBlueOwls 03-10-2012 09:46 AM

Yes, I use "calm" its calcium and magnesium. Who knew that something so common makes a difference when your lacking. Its by Peter gillham. You can order it on Amazon!

Sent from my Droid using DS Forum

Bellamoon 03-10-2012 09:56 AM

I have been using St Johns wort, both my mw and my dr say its plenty safe while nursing. I really like it!

RunawayBunny 03-10-2012 07:38 PM

I was on prozac for ppd til ds was one. When i weaned off my PA said to make sure i was getting enough Vit D. He said it helps with mild depression. He also said flax seed can help (cant remember why). HTH!

songbird516 03-10-2012 07:46 PM

probiotics can also help- check out the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome for dietary changes that can be helpful, also! I also agree with what was said about vitamin D levels- get those checked, and make sure that you're getting lots of natural Vitamin A also. They work together.