Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Do you have a garden?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1365488)

Sweet3heart3 03-11-2012 02:35 PM

Do you have a garden??

Less than a month and a half away from the last frost date for my state, and so the kids and I started the garden today!! We start inside around this time then will move them out as they get bigger/it gets warmer. We just did broccoli, jelly bean tomatoes, Basil and rosemary today.
Anyone else love to garden??

Suzi 03-11-2012 04:47 PM

Re: Do you have a garden??

I miss gardening! My mom and I always did that growing up. My last house had a great spot for a large garden. We will do a couple of large pots that I can put out at the end of the driveway but otherwise we are so shaded that I can't get much to grow :( I'm pretty dependent on my farmer's market but this year I will have a CSA too.

WeeEssentials 03-11-2012 09:19 PM

We're about ready to start here in TN! The end of the month. I need to get it tilled still - I tried to just hoe up the beds but they are rock hard now. Too much clay in the mix still. :)

Badonkadonk Knits 03-12-2012 01:22 PM

Yes! Ours is an urban one though as we live in the city. After 9 years of marriage I finally convinced my husband to give up some of his precious grass (that we don't use because it is on the side of our house and not fenced from the road) and we put in 4 large raised beds for various veggies, 3 cattle panel trellises for green pole beans, and a healthy row of raspberries. I'm trying to convince him to give up more of that unused lawn space that we just watch grow so he can mow it and I could double the size. Hubby was kind enough to fence it in with a low cedar fence so the kids can be in there with me and I don't have to worry about them running out onto the street. Also in various parts of our back yard scattered here and there are various raised beds and pots for lettuce, blueberries, herbs and this year I'm going to try melon (a challenge for living in Oregon I think). Now if our weather would just cooperate I could get to planting. I'm really looking forward to it as my 5 year old is very interested and excited about every aspect of it. It will be an awesome learning experience for him about how to grow food and how it ends up on your table.

tandiwe76 04-02-2012 03:26 PM

I am so excited to garden this year! We've moved from the mountains of NM (7000' elev) to the city (5000' elev) so we can grow so much more!!!

Outside in the last couple weeks we've planted peas, beans, lettuce, spinach, carrots. The warm spell helped germinate the peas and lettuce in less than a week. In the greenhouse we started tomatoes, arugula, more lettuce, squashes, watermelon, cucumber, flowers...the arugula sprouted in two days!

I grew up gardening and have good memories of planting seeds with my dad...its a great thing to do with your kids.

SimplySarah85 04-15-2012 08:55 PM

My husband has half of our yard converted to a garden; I'm so excited to be able to make our son's solid food with it.

5/3mama 04-17-2012 12:32 PM

We have raised beds (like square foot gardening), and we started our seeds indoors for the first time this year. The kids are loving watching them grow!

erniebobernie 04-19-2012 06:54 PM

yes! Garden seeds are started and under lights! Cant wait!:thumbsup:

nothingtosee 04-20-2012 11:21 AM

Sure do! I've got 2 raised beds, one has chard, beets, onions and a tomato seedling under a cloche, the other has spinach and more chard so far.

redneckmama4 04-23-2012 04:02 PM

Yes ma'am!!

I've been workin' on the garden for over a month now. I garden by the moon so it takes a little longer :mrgreen:

I have stuff all over the yard-potatoes in a bathtub, toms in containers, startin' some Bonsai trees (whisteria), and other stuff.

We also have the dewberries startin' to put fruit on, as are the plums and blackberries.

I love Spring time!!!