Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Reassure Me! Interesting update... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1365591)

delicatefade 03-11-2012 06:55 PM

Reassure Me! Interesting update...

I'm a town girl. Hubby and I bought our house 7 years ago, in my hometown, just down the street from my parent's house, which is where I lived my whole life. Hubby, on the other hand, grew up in the country, 15 miles from any town.

Right now, we are looking at a house that is 4 1/2 miles south of a neighbouring town. It's only 15 minutes from where we currently live, but it would be in a new school district.

I'm terrified that we are going to make the wrong decision and mess up our kids! I haven't heard too much good about the school district, which is scaring me a bit. I've been wanting to homeschool anyway, but DH wants nothing to do with that :(

So what do you all think? Is it better to have my kids grow up out in the country than in town, even if the school system is less than desirable? Or should we stay in our town where we LOVE the schools? I'm so torn! I totally love the house/yard that we looked at. It's 7.66 acres of land with a 100 year old house on it.

If you're curious, here's the listing:

http://choicerealtyltd.com/show.php?...t=price%20DESC

And can a town girl love the country?

Update: June 29

Wow. I NEVER thought I'd be back at this thread But, here I am.

We had given up the dream of this home for a few reasons. One of them was the money. We didn't want to be strapped so tight for cash. The other reason was the schools. I refuse to put my kids into that local school system. My husband is pretty against home schooling... so we were at a stand still. It didn't take too long and the house sold.

BUT, just days before possession date, financing fell through for the couple that bought the home. So, it's for sale again........ and the price DROPPED! It went from $239,900 to $219,900.

And we are currently in the process of trying to clean up our rental to sell (that's a whole other nightmare story). So.... I can't help but wonder if God is saying, "Here you go! I saved it for you!".

If the rental sells quickly, the only real hurdle would be coming to an agreement on schooling.

I just can't believe we're at this place again!

Here's the listing, since the original is gone.

raisingcropsandbabies 03-11-2012 07:34 PM

Re: Reassure Me!

You NEED to look at Pioneer Woman-Ree Drummond's website! That will answer your last question! She is too funny. :) http://thepioneerwoman.com/

As far as the schools. I tend to think that if you are plugged in as a parent you are not going to let your child fall through the cracks at any school they go to (in general). You might have more work to do (whether compensating if the school is not as great in academics or extracurricular activities or be more diligent in friend choices if a lot of the kids that go there may not be the best influences). We are going to take homeschooling year by year and figure out what we feel led to do. And if you are a praying woman, pray about it. My husband was sooo against it for a long time and I just really prayed for God to work in either of our hearts in what He wants us to do concerning that (thinking maybe it's me that needed to change)... anyway, my husband's heart really softened towards it this past year... I'm still surprised and excited as well.

I'm biased towards raising my kiddos on our farm, but town serves it's purposes for other families too. :) The house is GORGEOUS! I actually had to stop looking at it because I'll get house-envy... it's better for me not to see my dream home so I can be content with what we have.

delicatefade 03-11-2012 07:44 PM

Oh, I LOVE the Pioneer Woman! Thanks for the reminder :) I've read her book and have her cookbook, lol.

I am definitely a praying woman, and this is my number one matter of prayer right now. I know God can work in amazing ways!

And I think the house is gorgeous too :) The basement is even completely redone and gorgeous.

Do you have any pictures of your house/farm?

delicatefade 03-11-2012 07:44 PM

Oh, and did you notice the homeschooling room, lol? I did right away, and hubby was like NO WAY! Haha.

Geckmumto3 03-11-2012 07:53 PM

I am also completely biased, but I don't think I have ever heard someone say that they moved to the country and it was a mistake in terms of raising
children. For yourself, many of the issues friends have had with country living were related to the house and the work required. That house looks lovely and well finished -- although I am sure it has it's own issues, it's not a dive right now, IYKWIM? I think a lot of people move to the country to fixer uppers and then things get overwhelming.

ITA about being plugged in and weathering problems with schools. There is no perfect school (and I say that as a mom and a teacher). If you work at it, you can compensate for whatever the school is failing to do. And, if the school completely flops, then your DH might go for HS'ing. I am on that track with DH as well, and he is also completely opposed.

I think you have to listen to your heart. If that house feels like home to you and your family, do it.

raisingcropsandbabies 03-12-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delicatefade (Post 14788045)
Oh, I LOVE the Pioneer Woman! Thanks for the reminder :) I've read her book and have her cookbook, lol.

I am definitely a praying woman, and this is my number one matter of prayer right now. I know God can work in amazing ways!

And I think the house is gorgeous too :) The basement is even completely redone and gorgeous.

Do you have any pictures of your house/farm?

I do, but don't know how to post them on here! Oh, it's no fun being technically challenged! I did notice the schoolroom... and my heart did a jump... we use our diningroom for school stuff and crafts which also serves as my son's therapy room which also serves as the diningroom and office area. :) Every room in this house has to have 2-3 purposes... this is why house envy creeps up and I just need to tell myself that it's cool to live in the house my husband grew up in and his great-gpa built, right??? right??? echooooo...

delicatefade 03-12-2012 06:44 AM

The school room is just off of the dining room, which is really nice. For now it would likely be the playroom.

This morning I'm in favor of making an offer, so hopefully all goes well! I'm hoping the realtor can stop by and assess our house today, so we know the value. YIKES! Decisions like this are HUGE for us. We are normally pretty laid back people, and obviously we don't move around a lot. We've been in this house since I got pregnant with our first baby.

sarahannecloud9 03-12-2012 08:28 AM

I'd buy it for the wood stove and tub!!!

The thing with the school is you can do some homeschooling along with it. We have a good school, but i have a higher standard. So we do work together at home.

You may be a little bored while you adjust, but when you get outside and realise there is nothing you can't do or grow, the feeling can't be beat! Immagine feeding your family a 90% grown by you meal! A child watching a chick hatch. Planting his own row in the garden. The privacy just can't be beat!

Take it from a country girl who was moved to the city as a girl. Then escaped to the deep country to return to the country live to raid her kiddos with her hubby. It's a beautifull like in the country. I NEVER would have found trouble if moma had not sold my horse and moved us to Fl. :( Chores keep lo's busy and teach responsibility.

Hope some of this has reassured you. ;)

delicatefade 03-12-2012 02:13 PM

It has two wood stoves! One in the basement, and one in the living room on the main floor.

We just met with the realtor, to get our house assessed. We'll be pushing the limits of a 15 year mortgage if we decide to buy. Now we have to decide what's more important... being debt free in 3 years, or having an amazing country property with a 15 year mortgage. We're both 28 years old right now, so we'd still have it paid off before we're 45. Just something to consider...

dublinup 03-12-2012 06:37 PM

Being debt free does sound nice, but then would you be looking to move the kids thereafter for a better upbringing and just delaying going into debt? I don't have an answer on this one, rather just food for thought.

I know a lot of city moms would love to argue this with me, but I firmly believe country kids are exposed to a harder, more meaningful work ethic than city kids ever will. There is no 9-5/Mon-Fri schedule on a farm/homestead. I've lived both lives, city and extremely isolated country. The city is fun and exciting. The country teaches you what you are capable of and provides solitude.
I find time and time again, kids who grow up in more of a country life can function as adults in either urban or country settings with no problem. I've met very few city folks that don't appear clueless when they wind up in a country setting. Learning to ride the metro is easy after you know how to chop wood and pay attention to a septic system. I miss my favorite Thai and Indian restaurants, but this life is far better for my kids.