Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Baby shower for second babe? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366246)

aumismommy 03-12-2012 11:53 PM

Baby shower for second babe?

What's your opinion? Tacky or not?

mclaybrook 03-12-2012 11:59 PM

Re: Baby shower for second babe?

I had a "sprinkle" (I think that's what it was called?:blush:) after my 2nd son was born.. it was more for friends and family to see the baby.. it was not about gifts. When I found out that baby #3 was a girl.. my friends and family went cRaZy!
If someone is offering to throw you one.. go for it! It's whatever you feel comfortable with. :thumbsup:

stevensmom 03-13-2012 12:01 AM

I had one for the second. My mom and sister threw it for me. My other sister was also due three weeks after me so it was a combined shower.

And then my work wanted a meet and greet after dd was born. And since I was taking the year off.

I really don't think it's tacky if someone wants to throw one for you. Now if you ask someone to throw one for you that's tacky IMO.

Also my first was a boy and my second was a girl so we needed girly stuff

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

Computermama 03-13-2012 05:37 AM

A big old registry shower IMO is tacky when it's a second child that's reasonably close to the first child in age. I can see it if mom didn't figure that she was having anymore and got rid of everything because of a breakdown in relationship or something similar, but in most cases, yeah tacky. Now something smaller meant just to celebrate mom and baby without the big stigma of gifts attached is fine. Friends of mine are planning to throw me a combination birthday/meet the baby party, since I'm due less than a week before my birthday. I wouldn't have asked for a baby shower, as this one was very planned and my second girl in 5 years, even if she were sporting boy parts I wouldn't likely ask for one. But the idea of just getting together and socializing appeals to me.

bezark 03-13-2012 06:28 AM

If someone wants to throw one for you, awesome!

I had a few people offer this time around, but I declined. DS is 3 and we are having another boy, but we had to get rid of 99% of DS's baby things. Fortunately this isn't our first rodeo and now we know we actually need very little. :) I don't like extra stuff lying around the house, so I was happy to buy exactly what we needed and nothing more.

We're opting instead to have a "meet the baby" open house. If anyone brings a gift at all it'll likely be something small like a pack of diapers or a onesie.

blueone 03-13-2012 06:33 AM

I had some ladies from my church offer to throw me one and I accepted. We have a boy and are about to have a girl. We certainly don't need much at all, however I do have a small registry that includes a small portable baby swing since we don't have room for a full sized one and a playmat, something I didn't have with DS and borrowed and fell in love with. I have a few girly things on there too.

Either way, I think it's more of a spend time with the mom and celebrate the pregnancy rather than about giving gifts... in my case at least. I don't know. I do have a friend though that had one thrown for her second too and she's having another boy.

McMandy 03-13-2012 06:34 AM

I never had a baby shower until my 4th child, and then my friends threw me one for our fifth too, even though it's another girl so I don't need a lot of things. My friends and I all feel each child is worth celebrating, so while the showers aren't extravagant, we do love loving on the mama!!!

With my 5th, I registered for some cloth diapers (only got a few though). Most people got me Target gift cards. I wouldn't have cared if there were gifts or not... I just loved celebrating babyness with my gals since I didn't get to do any of that with my first three pregnancies.

2+2macht4 03-13-2012 06:39 AM

I never even got a shower the first time around. The only gifts I got aside from immediate family was from other expats I met online in Germany.

Not one single friend from home got me anything, not even those who I send gifts back any time they had kids.

I do not expect anything this time. I would love to be plesently suprised, but I am not going to hold my breathe only to have my heart crushed again.

blueone 03-13-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenajean1 (Post 14794740)
I never even got a shower the first time around. The only gifts I got aside from immediate family was from other expats I met online in Germany.

Not one single friend from home got me anything, not even those who I send gifts back any time they had kids.

I do not expect anything this time. I would love to be plesently suprised, but I am not going to hold my breathe only to have my heart crushed again.

Awe...I hope you are surprised. I didn't expect anything at all either so it was a nice surprise.

Megs83 03-13-2012 08:44 AM

The only way I feel that a second shower is acceptable is when the guest list is drastically different from the guest list of your first shower (say, because you moved, changed jobs, different church, got remarried, etc). But to invite the same group of people again to a second shower, especially within less than about 6 years of the first one, is poor taste. Honestly, its not your friends and relatives problem or responsibility if you registered for everything in pink with baby #1 and are having a boy this time, or if you got rid of everything from last time.
The problem is that a 'Shower' means gifts are EXPECTED. That is the point behind a shower. I am not against throwing a party for the baby, but I am talking like a 'Meet the Baby' with a 'gifts not necessary' message on the invite. Honestly, people will still bring gifts. They always do. But it takes away the obligation and its the obligation part that I believe most people would find insulting.
Also, I feel that a shower is about the mother. Not the baby. So I don't feel the least bit slighted that the baby I am currently expecting is not causing a shower to be planned.