Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nerve Block for Circumcision (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366740)

KatrinaLoves 03-13-2012 08:24 PM

Nerve Block for Circumcision
 
For those who have had their sons circumcised, or those who know anything about nerve blocks (nurses here, maybe?) how long from the time of injection should we expect full numbness? Is there anything about them that I should be aware of?

DH and I are still in the process of deciding together on whether or not to circumcise or twin boys, due in a couple months. My condition for allowing the procedure is that a fully numbing injection (nerve block) be provided, and not merely some ridiculous topical cream that they claim is enough. :banghead:

How much time should elapse between injection and full numbness, typically? The last thing I want is for them to give a quick shot and then dive in. Dad will be accompanying them while the procedure is done, but I want to make sure all our bases are covered.

Obviously there's no way to ensure a pain free circumcision, but I want as close to it as possible.

**please no flames from my anti-circ friends out there** :goodvibes:

shortcake2386 03-13-2012 08:42 PM

Re: Nerve Block for Circumcision
 
no boys circumcised and i havent seen a circumcision in 8 years....but i will tell you that only some of the drs offered numbing cream. and of those some didnt even use it after telling the parents they would:cry: i cant see them doing a nerve block on a newborn for what they consider a "minor procedure" though

KatrinaLoves 03-13-2012 08:55 PM

Re: Nerve Block for Circumcision
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcake2386 (Post 14799311)
no boys circumcised and i havent seen a circumcision in 8 years....but i will tell you that only some of the drs offered numbing cream. and of those some didnt even use it after telling the parents they would:cry: i cant see them doing a nerve block on a newborn for what they consider a "minor procedure" though

Yeah, I definitely suspect that they might smile and nod at my request, and then not do it. Which is why DH will be accompanying them.

I'm not anti-circumcision, but would rather not have it done. I just think it's dumb (but that's a discussion for another day, and not a can of worms to open in this thread, :giggle2:). DH is more for the procedure, so if he ultimately decides it's a must (which I'm fine with, honestly, he's let me make almost every other major parenting decision unhindered), he must accompany them, and they must do a nerve block.

If the hospital won't do it... then, well, DH and I will have to pay for the procedure later, or they'll remain intact. It's daddy's call, but under no circumstances will it be done without full local anesthesia. No sir, no how.

The problem is... I don't know a darn thing about nerve blocks! :banghead:

MelDM 03-13-2012 09:00 PM

My DS was circ'd and they injected xylocaine before they did it. It pretty much works right away when injected. We use it at work (L&D) before stitching up the perineum and the docs inject then stitch right away.

shortcake2386 03-13-2012 09:02 PM

Re: Nerve Block for Circumcision
 
make sure dh can go with. the hospital i was at didnt allow anyone else in the room during the procedure:(

vmomma 03-13-2012 09:55 PM

Re: Nerve Block for Circumcision
 
I work in well-baby nursery and some of the docs use a lidocain injection, which numbs the area they are cutting. It works within a few minutes. I have never seen a doctor use a nerve block for a circ, not to say they can't. It's just not common practice. They either use the injection, or cream. The injection works better than the cream, IMO, but the baby also feels the pain from the injection.

Whether or not your husband goes to the procedure is really up to the doctor.

Mamata3 03-14-2012 05:34 AM

Ya for my last they didn't let anyone in the room! But you could watch from a little window in the door :(

JustSomeChickVee 03-14-2012 06:49 AM

Re: Nerve Block for Circumcision
 
i know this isn't what you posted for, but please give what I'm saying a chance.

Please don't circumcise your babies. No medical organization in the world recommends circumcision. There is no health benefit. Annually, 200 babies die from circumcision complications such as blood loss, hemorrhaging, sepsis, MRSA etc. Approximately 1/3 of all circumcisions are botched to some degree, and about 4% of all babies circumcised will need post operative treatment and surgery due to complications (this is about 48,000 babies per year.)

Circumcision interferes with breastfeeding. Out of 100 boys circumcised, approximately 75 will not readily breastfeed. Babies are born with a breast crawl reflex, circumcision interferes with that. Out of 100 boys, 3 will develop phimosis, 31 will develop metal ulcers, 55 will have some form of adverse reaction to the surgery, and 8 will suffer infection at the surgical site.

Circumcision damages sex for both men and women. Circumcising a man removes the foreskin, which is a prepuce organ. It has millions of nerve endings. The prepuce organ in the female is the clitoral hood and in the womb, they are formed from the exact same tissue. Removing the foreskin literally is like removing the clitoral hood. Circumcision also hurts women because circumcised men have sex in a completely different manner than intact men. Check out www.sexasnatureintendedit.com to see visual images of these differences. Definitely not work or child safe, graphic sexual images. My DH is intact, and from having done things with circumcised men, I can tell you there really IS a world of a difference when it comes to pleasure and that is obvious in their reactions to stimulation. The intact penis isn't dirty either as long as the man takes a shower, which he should be doing whether he is intact or not.

The head of the penis is not fully developed at birth. the foreskin is actually fused to the head via the synachia. This is to protect the still developing glans, and to prevent urine and fecal matter from entering the urethra and from having contact with the glans. When you remove the foreskin, you are exposing an underdeveloped glans and raising your child's risk of developing a UTI. Also, when you circumcise you create a wound. A wound that now gets to sit in dirty and moist diapers and that will burn intensely every time he pees.

Most doctors will not numb an infant for circumcision, and if they do, it's with local anesthetic. You STILL feel a circumcision with a local anesthetic, I promise. Not to mention that the local anesthetic in itself is painful.

Have you ever seen a circumcision performed? If not, you can see photos and a video here: http://www.cirp.org/​library/procedure/​plastibell/ and here: http://www.circumcisionvideos.com/

Considering the risks and the fact that there is no health benefit and that no medical organization in the world recommends circumcision, why circumcise? Also consider that circumcision is associated with sexual problems such as painful erections, decreased pleasure, keratinization of the glans, and even erectile dysfunction. It's not your penis, it should be up to your sons when they are adults if they want to do it. This isn't like a medically necessary procedure that you need to make a decision about.

For more info:

drmomma.org
4eric.org
http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...html#resources
cirp.org
nocirc.org
savingsons.org


and check out this thread for like a million more links: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119362


Please, please, please don't circumcise your babies.

JustSomeChickVee 03-14-2012 06:54 AM

Re: Nerve Block for Circumcision
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MelDM (Post 14799403)
My DS was circ'd and they injected xylocaine before they did it. It pretty much works right away when injected. We use it at work (L&D) before stitching up the perineum and the docs inject then stitch right away.

This did not stop me from feeling the pain of my stitching.

elkay724 03-14-2012 07:09 AM

Re: Nerve Block for Circumcision
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee (Post 14800441)
i know this isn't what you posted for, but please give what I'm saying a chance.

Please don't circumcise your babies. No medical organization in the world recommends circumcision. There is no health benefit. Annually, 200 babies die from circumcision complications such as blood loss, hemorrhaging, sepsis, MRSA etc. Approximately 1/3 of all circumcisions are botched to some degree, and about 4% of all babies circumcised will need post operative treatment and surgery due to complications (this is about 48,000 babies per year.)

Circumcision interferes with breastfeeding. Out of 100 boys circumcised, approximately 75 will not readily breastfeed. Babies are born with a breast crawl reflex, circumcision interferes with that. Out of 100 boys, 3 will develop phimosis, 31 will develop metal ulcers, 55 will have some form of adverse reaction to the surgery, and 8 will suffer infection at the surgical site.

Circumcision damages sex for both men and women. Circumcising a man removes the foreskin, which is a prepuce organ. It has millions of nerve endings. The prepuce organ in the female is the clitoral hood and in the womb, they are formed from the exact same tissue. Removing the foreskin literally is like removing the clitoral hood. Circumcision also hurts women because circumcised men have sex in a completely different manner than intact men. Check out www.sexasnatureintendedit.com to see visual images of these differences. Definitely not work or child safe, graphic sexual images. My DH is intact, and from having done things with circumcised men, I can tell you there really IS a world of a difference when it comes to pleasure and that is obvious in their reactions to stimulation. The intact penis isn't dirty either as long as the man takes a shower, which he should be doing whether he is intact or not.

The head of the penis is not fully developed at birth. the foreskin is actually fused to the head via the synachia. This is to protect the still developing glans, and to prevent urine and fecal matter from entering the urethra and from having contact with the glans. When you remove the foreskin, you are exposing an underdeveloped glans and raising your child's risk of developing a UTI. Also, when you circumcise you create a wound. A wound that now gets to sit in dirty and moist diapers and that will burn intensely every time he pees.

Most doctors will not numb an infant for circumcision, and if they do, it's with local anesthetic. You STILL feel a circumcision with a local anesthetic, I promise. Not to mention that the local anesthetic in itself is painful.

Have you ever seen a circumcision performed? If not, you can see photos and a video here: http://www.cirp.org/​library/procedure/​plastibell/ and here: http://www.circumcisionvideos.com/

Considering the risks and the fact that there is no health benefit and that no medical organization in the world recommends circumcision, why circumcise? Also consider that circumcision is associated with sexual problems such as painful erections, decreased pleasure, keratinization of the glans, and even erectile dysfunction. It's not your penis, it should be up to your sons when they are adults if they want to do it. This isn't like a medically necessary procedure that you need to make a decision about.

For more info:

drmomma.org
4eric.org
http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...html#resources
cirp.org
nocirc.org
savingsons.org


and check out this thread for like a million more links: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119362


Please, please, please don't circumcise your babies.



:highfive:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors