Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "but formula is better than breastmilk" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367097)

JustSomeChickVee 03-14-2012 05:18 PM

"but formula is better than breastmilk"

So background:

this guy, J, lives in my dad's neighborhood. he's like 18 and moved here from El Salvador when he was 13. He looks up to my dad a lot and likes to hang out with him. Today we took my dad's new boat to test it out and my dad invited J. J saw me giving my son a bottle and asked me what formula I was using and when I replied that it was pumped breast milk he looked at me and said "but formula is better than breast milk." I was like no way and explained why breast milk is far superior. I guess Nestle made a trip to El Salvador and convinced people that formula is better :banghead: so sad.

bigmamakelsey 03-14-2012 05:19 PM

Re: "but formula is better than breastmilk"

That is sad:(

PBAki 03-14-2012 05:22 PM

:(

JennTheMomma 03-14-2012 05:23 PM

That's sad :( And it's really hard to change minds, especially becasue NIP and breasts in general seem to be so taboo.

Rdesonia 03-14-2012 05:25 PM

9 years ago I was living in Tennessee when I had my son. People would tell me all the time how "sad" it was that I breastfed- Only poor people breastfed. I had people offer to buy me formula.

pcjs 03-14-2012 05:25 PM

To many of us, it is equal. I wouldn't not have argued as its how he was raised/his culture and its a very personal choice.

pcjs 03-14-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdesonia (Post 14803465)
9 years ago I was living in Tennessee when I had my son. People would tell me all the time how "sad" it was that I breastfed- Only poor people breastfed. I had people offer to buy me formula.

Can you send some of those formula buyers to some of us who are FF... its crazy $$$.

JennTheMomma 03-14-2012 05:28 PM

By not talking about it and educating people nothing gets changed. We then continue to raise a world on formula, which studies have shown to not be equal and should be used in times that breastmilk can't. Formula is great when you need it, but why not educate people about the benefits and importance of breastmilk? That young man may one day be a father and how wonderful would it be for him to support his wife/girlfriend in breastfeeding, and by knowing the benefits, etc.

basMama 03-14-2012 05:28 PM

I don't think the opinion of a 18 year old man reflect the views of an entire country. I have family from El Salvador and it is a very poor country. Breastfeeding is very common there. Formula would be too expensive to purchase.

burnsis 03-14-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basMama (Post 14803487)
I don't think the opinion of a 18 year old man reflect the views of an entire country. I have family from El Salvador and it is a very poor country. Breastfeeding is very common there. Formula would be too expensive to purchase.

that could be a contributing factor as to why he thinks it is better. who could imagine that something that is free could be so amazing?:giggle:

when my granny had my dad, bfing was considered inferior, and something associated with the poor folks who didn't have money to buy "good" stuff. probably due to Nestle's marketing as well. they actually gave her medication in the hospital to help her milk go away faster:( thing was that she was poor, and simply didn't know any better. now that she see how healthy my boys are, she believes it is b/c of the breastmilk. my grandpa actually said, 'why didn't you bf, we could have saved so much money!!':giggle2: