Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   This is how I feel about the BC debate (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367323)

vatblack 03-15-2012 08:15 AM

This is how I feel about the BC debate

We are doomed if we do and we are doomed if we don't. Somewhere, something's gotta give.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...erswappers.jpg

Oh dear, I should have known it would go into a debate. Maybe my title was not correct. What I was trying to comment on was not the whole free bc issue, but the issue that no matter what a women does in terms of family planning, she will always be criticized about one or all of her choices by one or more groups of people. It was more the notion that we are doomed (by someone) no matter what we choose to do.

This is what I get for posting and running!!! LOL. Sorry if I misled you!

MamaNae 03-15-2012 08:21 AM

Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

My only sticking point is the 'free' part.

If we have to pay $530 every 3 months for the medications my husband needs to not DIE then women can pay a $25 copay on birth control considering 98% of the time it's not life or death that they take it.

AnimalHouse 03-15-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaNae (Post 14805929)
My only sticking point is the 'free' part.

If we have to pay $530 every 3 months for the medications my husband needs to not DIE then women can pay a $25 copay on birth control considering 98% of the time it's not life or death that they take it.

Yup.

MamaNae 03-15-2012 08:31 AM

LOL, did the math really quick, a copay on birth control would have to be just over $44 a month for a woman to pay in one year what we pay in 3 months...We pay roughly $175 a month for insulin, syringes, other medication...and we have really really really good insurance and a pharmacy onsite at my husband's work that gives us a HUGE discount. If we went to any other pharmacy we'd be paying almost triple what we pay now.

amandamcgrady 03-15-2012 08:31 AM

well how do you get it free? Isnt the birth control debate about catholic insurance anways?

MamaNae 03-15-2012 08:35 AM

Everything I have read says the mandate requires all businesses and all insurance companies to provide plans that covers female birth control with a $0 copay.

The debate stems from the mandate that requires hospitals, churches, businesses, etc owned by religious people that have a moral opposition to birth control.

I couldn't care less if the Catholic church has to provide birth control for their nuns. My sticking point is the FREE part, the $0 copay. That pisses me off considering there is no government intervention trying to make the medications my husband needs to not die any more affordable.

keonli 03-15-2012 08:43 AM

Call me a prude, but if you think you are responsible enough to have sex then you should be responsible enough to pay for your birth control, right? Even without health insurance, there are places you can get free condoms.

MamaNae 03-15-2012 08:45 AM

See, this isn't even about providing birth control to low income women who lack health insurance. This is providing FREE birth control to ALL women who have health insurance. This is for people that currently have health insurance now they get 1 specific medication for free. I think it's stupid.

3 ladybugs 03-15-2012 08:51 AM

I don't like the religious part or now that I hear it is only birth control that is USED for birth control. I am on birth control for hormone replacement therapy (in menopause at 34 and that ain't good for a woman to be in at this age) so I have to pay for mine, but the woman next to me that didn't have chemo can get it for free.

So MamaNae I am right there with you! Mine isn't "saving my life" but I can see where I could be in your position and I agree with you. :hugs:

Mommy/4boys 03-15-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonli
Call me a prude, but if you think you are responsible enough to have sex then you should be responsible enough to pay for your birth control, right? Even without health insurance, there are places you can get free condoms.

I agree with you on this too.