Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Those who delay vaxes--what's your schedule? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367631)

jenncatsmeow 03-15-2012 06:26 PM

Those who delay vaxes--what's your schedule?

DS2's 2 month appointment is on Monday and I know my pediatrician is going to want to vax him. I don't want him to have them all at once. Both of my other two are vaxed, but on a weird schedule, no hep B until 5 years old, just so she could go to school, only one at a time, delay when we can....but no real method to which one(s) at what time, etc. DS1 had some of them, but none since his 1 year visit (he's now 2.5). I'd like to go in with a real plan this time around (third times the charm...right?)

Anyway, for those of you who delay.....which ones do you do, at what ages? What does your vax schedule look like? Why?

thanks!

lanwenyi 03-15-2012 08:53 PM

Re: Those who delay vaxes--what's your schedule?

Copied and pasted my selective/delay schedule from a previous thread like this (too much to type again ;) )
Quote:

We skip rotovirus entirely. DD had a rxn to it and I don't find it necessary. I know how to watch for dehydration and I nurse babies on-demand. I am confident in skipping this one and would not be afraid if my child got it. (DD did.)

We start vaxes at 4 mths. The kids get 1 shot at a time. DTaP, PCV, and Hib are the only ones they get under 2yrs. Those are the diseases (Pertussis, pneumoccus, and haemophilus influenza type b) that are most likely to affect children under 2 and are generally not serious to those over 2.

Our schedule to 2yrs looks like:
4mths - Hib or PCV or DTaP
6mths - DTaP or Hib or PCV
(no 9mth visit at our dr)
12 mths - PCV or DTaP or Hib
(by 12 mths, baby has 1 of each of these 3)
15 mths - Hib (end of series)
18 mths - DTaP
2yrs - PCV (end of series)

Age 3 - DTaP (to protect other young babies that they'll be around) - due to rxn, we only give the "daptacel" version of the DTaP vax.

If individual shots are avail, we start M, M, or R at 4yo. 1 shot per visit at 4yr, 5yr, and 6yr appt. If no ind shots are avail, full MMR will be considered at 6yrs.

I do give Polio, starting at the 4yo well-child visits. (public health reasons - likelihood of my child contracting polio is low, but it is one of the few diseases that I feel *should* be eradicated, so I'll do my part)

Varicella waits until after 12 (hoping for natural infection, but after 12, we feel the risks of the disease outweigh the risk of the vax) as do Hep A and Hep B (again, low risk of problems for Hep A or contraction of the disease for Heb B before this age).

Kids will get titer checks before getting a booster for MMR or getting any Varicella shots.

Currently, we will skip HPV, but remain open if more info or a safer profile emerges before our kids reach pre-teen age. Meningitis will be up to the kids when they go off to college.

HTH
Since this post, my kids have had Chicken Pox, so they will never get the Varicella vax.

At DD's 4yo appt, they asked to give her PCV 13 (she had PCV 7 for her under 2 shots), I declined. I gave them the choice of Polio or DTaP. They chose DTaP. She has now finished the DTaP series because her 4th shot was after age 4. (She can get Tdap or some other Td booster later in life, but childhood DTaPs are done)

BabySnickerdoodles 03-15-2012 09:01 PM

We under no circumstances will ever do the following:
Chicken pox vaccine (varicella)
Hep B
Hep A
Hep C
flu shots

We wait until 1 year old to do:
Polio
DTaP

We wait until 2+ to do:
MMR

A big suggestion I've had from my favorite Ped., was when selectively vaxing, make sure to ask for separate shots...IOW, ask to have JUST tetanus, rather than the tri or quad vax...and space out the shots, only letting them give 2 max per visit, and only 1 visit per month. This give their immune system alot of time to recover, ESPECIALLY if its during the typical flu or cold seasons :goodvibes:

emkeegan 03-15-2012 09:24 PM

Interested :) so far , I'm the - first kid, just researching, fully vaxed until his 1 year, where we didn't get the mmr or varicella, then we didn't get dtap booster at 15 mo...

jenncatsmeow 03-17-2012 10:49 AM

anyone else?

Bukawww 03-17-2012 10:55 AM

We wait till after 2yrs. We do polio, mmr, dtap, hib, and hep b. one at a time with at least 1 month in between and only during the summer.

My 4yr old has not had any vaxes so far though we have been preparing her for the summer. We do file an exemption with the school just because it's really none of their business what we do medically with our kids.

FluffyBum 03-17-2012 04:14 PM

We also delayed with vaxes and declined the last DTap due to a really bad reaction with the previous one. If you want a guideline from a Ped that is on board with delayed vaccination the Dr. Sears website has a good one they go by. I think his book might have it either the Baby Book or the Vaccine Book too.

pcjs 03-17-2012 07:14 PM

We kinda delayed... if I do it again what we decided what was "best" was to limit to no more than 2 shots per visit and working with the doc to decide what order/when. We started it I forget when, maybe at the 9 month visit when we got all sorts of cranky with the multiple shots. We don't do chicken pox or flu... I have reasons but none of them are really good or valid. I'd rather get the chicken pox naturally as I think its a better life long immunity but we'll do it around 8-9-10 if he doesn't get it by then and I will not purposely expose him. I have never gotten a flu shot so I will not get my child one.

We did offer to come back monthly or at more frequent intervals for shots but since we had been to the doctor for so many other issues they knew us well and that we would come back so they just kept us at regular 3 month appointments and it was a non-issue. We dealt with several peds and they have all been supportive about it (ours had to go on emergency leave twice but we loved her so we stuck it out). You could offer that when the child gets older. I was a bit worried about asking to delay but it was really a non-issue. The only time it became an issue was with preschool as we were "behind" a few shots and we had a schedule to get them (too early) but a few people here made enough comments to get me on track to figure out our waiver which ended up me signing for religious reasons but it didn't ask what or why and not a big deal. The school fussed a drop as they were worried about licensing (but once we got it proper they left me alone as I was more than happy to comply and get a written schedule from our ped.) and I guess it isn't done a lot with them but they were fine in the end.

TwinKristi 03-18-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluffyBum
We also delayed with vaxes and declined the last DTap due to a really bad reaction with the previous one. If you want a guideline from a Ped that is on board with delayed vaccination the Dr. Sears website has a good one they go by. I think his book might have it either the Baby Book or the Vaccine Book too.

This is when I started to delay vaccines. My DS had a nasty site reaction and we have skipped his last one.

With the new baby I was going to delay past 1yr but decided with our Ped to do one at a time, no flu or hep b. We did the pneumococcal vax last time and we'll see what we want to do at 4mos. The Ped said he would figure out what the best plan wouldbe doing one at a time but not to upset the sequencing of them? Like some have 3, some are 4 or 5, some are 1 or 2.

ducky5306 03-18-2012 09:46 AM

I started at 4.5 yrs old. Did the dtap (had very slight reaction of a red mark below the injection site) Had another dtap at 5 ish and had a really bad reaction :( Arm swelled so much was red, hot, tender and had a fever for 3 years. No more dtap for him!!

Will do the MMR soon (sometime this summer) CP only after age 12.

Hep shots given in the early teens years (possibly)

Plan for baby #2 is start at 2-3 years old (I BF until then and am a SAHM/WAHM so no daycare but I do worry about DS1 being in school and bringing junk home! more reasons to possibly home school :)

Polio will be given sometime before starting school this fall.