Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Please remind me that this phase will pass (toddler throwing food on floor) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367662)

JamieJLD 03-15-2012 08:22 PM

Please remind me that this phase will pass (toddler throwing food on floor)

My 18 month old is in the phase where she delights in throwing her food on the floor from her high chair. She will eat some and then suddenly start throwing fistfuls of food on the floor at lightning speed. I remember going through this phase with my older DD but I don't remember any successful tricks to help us end it. This is one I have to wait out and try to not make it worse, right?

I'm praising her when she eats her food and reminding her that "food goes on your tray or in your mouth" and when she begins throwing fistfuls I immediately remove the food and end her meal. Unfortunately she only sometimes waits until the end of the meal to start throwing - other times it is at the beginning or middle or whenever she decides it will be fun to see the food splat.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Do you want to remind me that eventually the phase will end? Do you want to commiserate with me? I'm getting so tired of cleaning big blobs of food off the floor. :thumbsup:

smilewithme 03-15-2012 08:24 PM

Re: Please remind me that this phase will pass (toddler throwing food on floor)

Subbing...my 12 month old is there as well...

Brooke789 03-15-2012 08:26 PM

When mine (21 months) start doign this we tell them to put anything they don't want to eat and put it in their cup holder. That does work better than nothing but they do generally start just putting everything on their trays into their cupholders. We don't generally have a lot on the floor. Usually just one or two pieces of food. If they continue to throw food we ask if they're all done and end the meal.

smilewithme 03-15-2012 09:37 PM

^I've been ending the meal...but I'm usually too late.

EmilytheStrange 03-15-2012 10:04 PM

When my daughter did this, we ended the meal. She must be done - okay, let me clear that tray!

sisu 03-15-2012 10:57 PM

Get a dog, then at least you won't have to clean the food off the floor. ;)

Seriously, it sounds like you're doing everything I would do, so... this too shall pass. :)

EveryDayIsANewDay 03-15-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 (Post 14809921)

Seriously, it sounds like you're doing everything I would do, so... this too shall pass. :)

:giggle2: I agree, get a dog! Our two dogs are our personal food vacuums.

JamieJLD 03-16-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 (Post 14809921)

:giggle:

My husband hates dogs so unfortunately that isn't an option for us. But literally every time I get on my hands and knees to clean up yogurt/peas/lunch meat/oranges/whatever off the floor I think "I want a dog!!" :giggle:

You know, I did remember one thing I did with my older DD that helped a little. I put her food on a regular plate on the table and only gave her a little bit at a time on her tray. At least then when she decided to throw it all on the floor it was a little less for me to clean up. I think I'll start doing that again. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for commiserating with me!

babylove921 03-16-2012 08:37 AM

My 14 month old does this too, but he does it because we have dogs, now he thinks everywhere we go he has to "feed the dogs". Ugh.

pumkinsmommy 03-16-2012 08:49 AM

Try giving a few bites at a time.