Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Buying Alvas in bulk and re-selling on craigslist? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367769)

mrspopo 03-16-2012 12:40 AM

Buying Alvas in bulk and re-selling on craigslist?

I've seen it listed several times over the last couple months. Someone bought 300+ Alva diapers because it was "cheaper to buy a lot and pass on the savings." So they are reselling them for $6 each (new with inserts).

Is that really going to save that person money? Can there really be that many buyers (still says "over 300" a couple of months later)? Assuming they got a great discount for bulk - maybe a thousand dollars, they could double the money if they are able to resell for $6 each - which is slightly more than retail.

But how many months will they take to sell? I would get sick of looking at them after a while. That would be nice to just go there and look through and pick them up in person without dealing with slow shipping... but it just seems odd.

momgoddess 03-16-2012 01:56 AM

Re: Buying Alvas in bulk and re-selling on craigslist?

I'm not sure...I've never looked for cloth diapers on CL, so I didn't realize there was a CL market for them. I've seen auctions for them on eBay as "wholesale lots" of quantities of 300, 100, 50, 20, 10, 7. For instance there is one on there that is for 100 and the Buy It Now is $370, which makes them $3.70 each and they give the option to "make an offer" to get it even lower. The auctions come directly for China, but they do not say that they are Alva's in the auction. They give no name for them. I wonder if it is the company? There is also an auction for same diapers, same seller but 50 diapers for $175, making them $3.50 each (don't you usually get more of a discount, the more you buy? Makes no sense.) I've wondered what people are doing with them and what is going on, because the auctions are constantly present on eBay and someone is buying them.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...aper+lot&rt=nc

Aren't those Alva's?

2+2macht4 03-16-2012 02:04 AM

In coop alva solids cost 2.50 plus 80 cents for an insert.

If you buy them for 2.50 and resell for 6, you would make out pretty good.

But I assume they bought a huge lot on ebay like pp said

momgoddess 03-16-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenajean1 (Post 14810401)
In coop alva solids cost 2.50 plus 80 cents for an insert.

If you buy them for 2.50 and resell for 6, you would make out pretty good.

But I assume they bought a huge lot on ebay like pp said

Yep, that's almost standard retail profit. It would be totally worth it, if they are easy to sell. A coop price is $3.30 each with inserts and selling for $6 is almost 100% profit, so that is a standard retail profit. Most retailers buy whatever it is they sell for half the price the sell it for to make 100% profit. (I used to work in wholesale fabric and notions and it hurts me to buy retail :giggle2:)

2+2macht4 03-16-2012 03:03 AM

See my main issue, if I know I can get the diaper in ccop for 2.50 or 3.10 for prints. I will not pay 6.00.

I mean ok I realize some people collect prints maybe if they had something fantastic I would for a special item.

But for me, I would not be drawn to buy new for 6.00 when I can get new for 2.50 and choose my type of insert.

Now speaking of print, man I wish thirsties would do coops, I have been staring at that tree print all week haha.

mrspopo 03-16-2012 04:07 AM

"I have over 300 new All In One cloth diapers of various colors and designs. The diapers are Alva baby and have snaps that you can adjust to fit any baby from 7lbs to 37lbs. They have a pocket in the back to put one or two inserts in, depending on how much absorbtion you need. Each diaper comes with one insert. I use these diapers for my baby girl and I love them. There's boy and girl diapers. It was cheaper for me to buy them in bulk so I just bought a lot and then passed on the savings. Comes out to be about $6 a diaper. I also have some portable wet/dry bags for you to put the dirtys in for an extra $3. These are brand new and never used. Nothing wrong with them, I just like to save money so I buy in bulk. Below is a picture of what the diapers are like. I have so many designs it's crazy, so I couldn't possible list them all but here's an idea of some: (if you email me, I can send you every design I have. It's too large for this ad)
"

I'm confused by the "passing on the savings" part because that's even more than retail. If I was going to buy in bulk to save and resell what i don't use, I don't think I'd buy THAT many. Just seems odd.

2+2macht4 03-16-2012 04:12 AM

I think the person is wanting to resell and make it sound like a deal.

What are alva new on the website I think about 6 dollars with shipping, more for bamboo.

But still not much savings. Now if it was 4.00 or so many.