Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chores (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13679)

Namaste 06-12-2006 10:55 AM

Chores

Another post about the Duggars got me thinking. What do your kids do at what age?

My dd#1 will be 5 in September. Her responsibilities are: putting her shoes and jackets in the proper place, making her bed, cleaning up her toys.

Anyone else? I don't want to raise a spoiled child and her duties will increase as she gets older. Not because I need it, but because it'll teach her how to care for herself, etc.

SheilaJoy 06-12-2006 11:17 AM

Re: Chores

I think it's important for my kids to not only take care of their own things, but help with general chores around the house. My 9yo is capable of doing laundry (he washes and dries one load a day, but I still fold and put away), takes out the trash and recycling, and vacuums the dining room. My 7yo sweeps the kitchen floor, puts miscellaneous shoes and things in the shoe closet, and takes dirty clothes to the laundry room. This is in addition to their own bedroom care.

Isaiah is 3 and can pick up his own toys, but that's pretty much it.

Carrie 06-12-2006 11:18 AM

That sounds appropriate for a 4-5 year old. I definitely believe that 4 is not too early to have a child make his/her bed. I think my mom started chores earlier than that with me but it was a battle of wills b/c I didn't really "get it." One thing we do is encourage "helping." Right now they are eager to help bring their diapers to us, bring the dustpan when we are sweeping, etc., but I'm not expecting them to be so cooperative forever! Setting reasonable expectations and allowing the child to fulfill them is what builds confidence, so if she has mastered what she is being asked to do now I don't see why she shouldn't have more responsibilities soon.

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 06-12-2006 11:19 AM

My dd is 7 and loads and unloads the dishwasher, she can also vaccume the playroom, clean her room and help with laundery. DD2 is 2 and she can help with dishes too.. she loves to unload them..lol and can also pick up her toys, put shoes in the box, and follow simple directions like that! :)

EasterBun 06-12-2006 12:33 PM

DS is 5.. he helps with a LOT, mainly because I feel it's only fair - he make a majority of the mess and he should help clean it up :thumbsup:
Stuff we do every day...
Pick up toys (not just his - DD likes to dump out her baskets!) and art supplies
Put any clothes left out in the hamper
Help sweep or vacuum the floor in the LR and in his room
Help put away dishes
Help with laundry

He helps with a lot more than that, but those are the big ones. Only the first two chores does he do by himself - the rest have to be supervised/directed :thumbsup:

hfitz5051 06-12-2006 12:43 PM

My 3 and 5 year old have to pick up after themselves. Clean room, make bed, clear thier own dishes after meals. They also help setting the table, making dinner(they love to mix) and getting laundry out of the dryer.

Shannon 06-12-2006 02:42 PM

My 3yr old has chores but I have been pretty lax in having her do them.

She is supposed to feed the dog and cat, empty the bathroom trashes, make her bed, clean up her toys.

She occassionaly will vacuum the kitchen floor for me.

My 1 yr old doesn't do much but she loves to help me hang things up on the drying racks...usually I have to fix them when she is done but it's helping and I like that. She also likes to "help" me wash dishes...they both do acually.

I plan on making/getting a sticker chore chart VERY soon to help Aspen see pictures of what her chores are for each day and let her know she has to do those before she does fun stuff. I need a kick in the rear to get started:)

KaleidoscopeEyes 06-12-2006 03:39 PM

DS1 is 7 and he is responsible for cleaning up after himself ie clothes in hamper, put dishes in sink and put water in them, put toys away etc. He also has to feed and water the dog twice a day as well as follow me when I mow the lawn and pick up any sticks or big rocks I find.

stellar225 06-12-2006 03:39 PM

J is 4 1/2. We have a magnetic responsibility chart that we use partly for behavioral stuff and partly for chores. We change it up every few weeks depending what needs attention. Sometimes it's a general "help mom" or "help dad" magnet. Things he has been taught to do using the chart are to clear his dishes, put dirty clothes in the basket, and clean up his toys. [These are regular things even when they're not on the chart.] He can't reach most of the places the dishes are kept, but he loves to put away the silverware and help me with laundry.

This is a good thread and one I'll be watching!

ZooCrew10 06-12-2006 09:08 PM

We've got older kids here so they each have chores to do each evening. The older 4 do their own laundry, one vacuums/picks up the living room, one does the dishes after dinner (dishwasher helps this job out), two each have a bathroom to tidy up each evening (no toothpaste stuck to the wall, that kind of thing), one cleans off the dinner table and makes sure there are no huge messes on the floor under the table, the 4 yo tidies up near the front door, putting the shoes in order. The oldest two help me in the barn feeding and watering the horses and pigs, one in the morning, the other in the evening. Then of course they have their bedrooms, but that's been slacking lately so I think I'll be cracking the whip over the next day or two, lol. I think that's about it...don't think I missed anything, hmmm...