Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Staying awake... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367913)

KdEMomma 03-16-2012 12:05 PM

Staying awake...

Since caffine is out the question, what are some ways to help bf momma stay awake?:goodvibes:

Chibirsd 03-16-2012 12:09 PM

Caffeine is not out of the question ! Lots of breastfeeding mammas drink it ...like myself!! As long as you drink In moderation a very little amount of passed into the milk and most babies are fine with it !!!

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.

Liadan23 03-16-2012 12:36 PM

Re: Staying awake...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chibirsd (Post 14812158)
Caffeine is not out of the question ! Lots of breastfeeding mammas drink it ...like myself!! As long as you drink In moderation a very little amount of passed into the milk and most babies are fine with it !!!

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.

ditto. as long as you're not drinking a ton of it, there's no harm. i did avoid caffeine for awhile while bf'ing because i noticed a drop in supply when i drank it. so, watch for that. but i had a friend at the time with a baby the same age as mine, who happily drank a cup or 2 of coffee a day and didn't have that issue at all.

other than that, you can keep yourself awake the same way you did while pregnant ;) but, i usually have a cup of coffee in the morning while pregnant too, since some caffeine is just fine as long as you don't overdo it. so i don't really have any other advice besides things like, have a glass of water, get up and walk around a bit, get some fresh air, etc. anything that is going to artificially stimulate you to not feel tired is going to be on the same level as caffeine, and the safety will depend on the substance and how much of it you're having.

luvof3boyz 03-16-2012 04:57 PM

I can't do even a drop of caffine. Lucky mamas. My advice as to what to do when you are tired is to not sit down.

mamma_z 03-16-2012 09:04 PM

You can use peppermint. I put a drop of peppermint essential oil on my pulse points when I need an evening pick-me-up. I can't have caffeine after noon or it keeps me up all night. Mint teas are supposed to stimulate as well

Alikhlas 03-16-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamma_z
You can use peppermint. I put a drop of peppermint essential oil on my pulse points when I need an evening pick-me-up. I can't have caffeine after noon or it keeps me up all night. Mint teas are supposed to stimulate as well

Peppermint can reduce milk supply, be careful!

eracheld 03-16-2012 10:25 PM

With ds I drank caffeine no problem, with dd I can't have any at all. To stay awake I usually call dh and talk to him while he's working

kferg 03-17-2012 01:56 AM

I never stopped drinking caffeine and it's never been an issue. Is there any way for you to take a nap in the daytime? Breastfeeding is demanding on the body. I find that I'm tired a lot and sometimes I haven't even been doing anything.

Squig'sMumMum 03-17-2012 11:23 AM

With DD1 I couldn't have ANY caffeine... With DD2 it doesn't seem to be an issue. I have never relied on it to keep me awake though, as it doesn't have that effect on me for some reason :headscratch:
You can try the peppermint EO, it shouldn't effect your supply externally, but the peppermint tea can, so as PP said, be careful with that.

indieknitter 03-28-2012 01:43 AM

I go outside (when weather permits) and that always helps to wake me up.