Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My MIL gave my son aspirin! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367973)

mom2luke&jake 03-16-2012 03:28 PM

My MIL gave my son aspirin!

I had a dr. appt today and my oldest ds had a fever, so I sent him over to my inlaws during the appt. Well he felt hot to her, so she called my hubby and asked if she could give him baby aspirin. Well dh thought she meant tylonol, as we've never even had aspirin in the home :banghead: so he said yes. Ugh!!!! My ped is overbooked so I didnt get the opportunity to talk to anyone at length about this and Im scared and frustrated at the same time. Geeze why didnt someone call ME?!?

MamaWillow 03-16-2012 03:45 PM

Re: My MIL gave my son aspirin!

Scary! I didn't even know they made aspirin for babies anymore. He will probably be fine if it's just a one time thing.

my2sweets 03-16-2012 04:08 PM

They do have-and call it-Baby aspirin but it's not meant for babies. Could that be anymore confusing?! :banghead: It's just a low dose of aspirin usually taken to help thin the blood for heart patients. IF it was just a one time thing for the 6yrold? then I wouldnt worry about it but most certainly let Gma know to only give tylenol from here on out.

jamieism 03-16-2012 04:15 PM

Calm down. Most of us grew up taking aspirin. It's not a big deal to have taken it once and it does help bring down fevers

escapethevillage 03-16-2012 04:31 PM

Myself and everybody I know or have ever known grew up with asprin only. There was no motrin, there was no children's tylenol.

Asprin is not poison, it's not at all likely that your child would develop Reye's syndrom. There are other factors that go with it, he'd have to have the underlying metabolic disorder, AND have the flu, or chicken Pox too.

Also, when my daughter would get "growing pains" at night (leg pain) I always gave her baby asprin. I trust baby asprin for typical pain, just not chicken pox.

momof3boys1girl 03-16-2012 04:36 PM

aww im sorry your dh prob thought he was doing ok. I wouldnt worry to much your lo will prob be fine.

JustSomeChickVee 03-16-2012 04:36 PM

your LO will be okay if it was only one dose, i think. But baby motrin is better than tylenol, tylenol is bad for the liver. just wanted to give you a heads up!

mom2luke&jake 03-16-2012 05:04 PM

Thanks everyone! Im not at all upset at the hubs or my MIL just frustrated.

bluedaisyma 03-16-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee (Post 14813045)
your LO will be okay if it was only one dose, i think. But baby motrin is better than tylenol, tylenol is bad for the liver. just wanted to give you a heads up!

and actually, motrin is bad for the kidneys :)

I would have flipped out, but we don't use any otc meds like that anyway! Don't worry, though, as people said, since the "danger" is for Reyes syndrome and he would have to have the other things people said! :goodvibes:

deezee02 03-16-2012 06:23 PM

I would not worry for a one time deal. Ods took 1/2 baby asprin daily for the first 4 years if his life.