Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I can't take the sassiness anymore! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368379)

corinne76 03-17-2012 05:03 PM

I can't take the sassiness anymore!

If you have a preschooler-ish age, please help me!
DD is 4 and OMG sassy. Everything is dripping with attitude lately.
How did you handle it? how did you STOP it? Timeout does not work.

Lanasmom 03-17-2012 07:03 PM

Re: I can't take the sassiness anymore!

When you find out let me k now??? LOL, my DD will be 4 in a month, and man at the attitude! Good luck mama, you aren't alone!

hiding57 03-17-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanasmom
When you find out let me k now??? LOL, my DD will be 4 in a month, and man at the attitude! Good luck mama, you aren't alone!

Yeah that! Lol.

I tell her a lot that you need to say excuse me may I please, not I must have this or else. And say it over and over. And a lot of long timeouts till she's ready to be polite. And not getting the things she wants which often leads to hysterical tantrums. Kids are awesome!

shortcake2386 03-17-2012 07:26 PM

ugh. my 5 year old just started this. she goes to her room until she is ready to have a good attitude....sometimes its 5 minutes, sometimes its an hour:/

corinne76 03-17-2012 09:35 PM

LOL JoAnna, DD would be in her room all day. She has this "pft" thing she does for EVERYTHING.
Shayden brush your teeth
pft
Shayden put your shoes on
pft
Shayden eat your dinner
pft
ahhhhhhhh! I'm going to go crazy soon.

SillyEllie 03-17-2012 09:50 PM

my dd is only 3.5 and has an attitude. It she tells me to "give me that" I just remind her "can I please have that?" and if she gives me major tude I just remind her "that's not nice to talk like that" and I don't put more into it. Seems the more I point it out the worse it gets. Obviously it's something most kids do since we are all going through it :)

shortcake2386 03-17-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinne76 (Post 14817981)
LOL JoAnna, DD would be in her room all day. She has this "pft" thing she does for EVERYTHING.
Shayden brush your teeth
pft
Shayden put your shoes on
pft
Shayden eat your dinner
pft
ahhhhhhhh! I'm going to go crazy soon.

ooo mackenzie just back talks. which is slightly less annoying than the 4 year old's constant whining.:banghead:

mackenzie its time for lunch.
-i dont want to eat.
well whether or not you eat its lunch time then naptime.
-well im not doing either and you cant make me.
:banghead:
of course then about 5 minutes later she decides she will eat, or will go to her room(sometimes she just doesnt want to eat:headscratch: even her favorite foods)

or my favorite(happens once a week at least...)
mackenzie we are going to chip and cheese.(mexican restaurant)
-can i get a bouncy bal/gum ball/peppermint/etc?
no its late and you had a bad attitude today
-well then im not going in the car and im not buckling up and im running away.
:headscratch:
then she stands there with her arms crossed glaring.
well thats fine i guess you can go to bed and ill stay here with you.
-but i like chips and cheese. i want to go eat.
then she scampers to the car and buckles up:banghead::banghead:

ok and here's the 4 year old:
makaela i made you corn and hamburgers for dinner.
-i dont LIKE corn and ambuggers
makaela you do like kit, you asked for corn and hamburgers for lunch.
-but i dont LIKE it anymore. i like icecream now(or any other totally not dinner food)
i proceed to make food and not give her a plate.
-mommy where's MY corn and ambugger. im HUNGRY.
:giggle2:
i swear some days by six i want to put myself in timeout and not come out:lostit:

chello 03-17-2012 10:50 PM

DD is 4.5. Some things we do are to teach her that you speak nicely to mommy and others. If I ask or tell her to do something, she says "yes mommy" and does it. If she doesn't want to do it or something, she still has to speak to me in a nice voice. And then usually she has to do it anyway :giggle: but we discuss it nicely. If she gives me attitude, I tell her she needs to change her attitude and speak nicely. I remind her that bad attitude doesn't get her anything. If it continues, she has to kneel down and put her nose on the floor until she's ready to be nice. We found regular timeouts don't work, going to her room doesn't work, standing in the corner doesn't work. But something about the nose on the floor works, it blocks out the rest of the world and also is humbling, reminding her that she is not the boss, and it's not a spanking :thumbsup:
We're working to teach her that she can say whatever she needs to say or wants to say, but she needs to speak nicely and with respect. Attitude still happens, but we're making progress. We give her choices and options, but when she makes a choice, she lives with it. Not changing her mind a million times.
I'm typing this while watching a movie so sorry if I'm rambling :giggle:

corinne76 03-17-2012 11:17 PM

thanks mamas. it makes me feel better knowing its not just me.

Besides the attitude, I constantly get "I want my ____ NOW!" I dont think so. Or I get "mommy! Where's. My. ___?!" very demanding. I think I'm going to kill her (kidding of course but I will lose my mind soon. DH is leaving all next week to go to vegas with his friends. me, I haven't gone out at night with my friends for over 2 years. I need a vacay)

Lanasmom 03-18-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chello (Post 14818197)
DD is 4.5. Some things we do are to teach her that you speak nicely to mommy and others. If I ask or tell her to do something, she says "yes mommy" and does it. If she doesn't want to do it or something, she still has to speak to me in a nice voice. And then usually she has to do it anyway :giggle: but we discuss it nicely. If she gives me attitude, I tell her she needs to change her attitude and speak nicely. I remind her that bad attitude doesn't get her anything. If it continues, she has to kneel down and put her nose on the floor until she's ready to be nice. We found regular timeouts don't work, going to her room doesn't work, standing in the corner doesn't work. But something about the nose on the floor works, it blocks out the rest of the world and also is humbling, reminding her that she is not the boss, and it's not a spanking :thumbsup:
We're working to teach her that she can say whatever she needs to say or wants to say, but she needs to speak nicely and with respect. Attitude still happens, but we're making progress. We give her choices and options, but when she makes a choice, she lives with it. Not changing her mind a million times.
I'm typing this while watching a movie so sorry if I'm rambling :giggle:

Oooo! I like nose to the floor, especially b/c it is humbling. I may try this. I'm tired of spanking and tantrums for attitude. And I know I will get flamed but I do spank and I spank for back talk. Time outs have NEVER EVER worked in our house. She thinks they are funny!

I will definitely try this!