Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   vitamin d supplements for infant while breastfeeding? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368594)

wyatt09 03-18-2012 08:57 AM

vitamin d supplements for infant while breastfeeding?

This is my 3rd child ive nursed and ive NEVER had to give them vit d supplements while nursing. Doc said other day i need to give them to her so i bought them but havent yet. Im sure they wont hurt her but who else here gives these to their kiddo's?:goodvibes:

sunyflwr 03-18-2012 09:27 AM

I did with my daughter but I live in the Midwest and she was born in Dec...people are notoriously low in Vit D here. Since then, I have found a chiropractor who has been monitoring my levels and will continue to do so during nursing. My levels are currently on the high end of normal, which is necessary if you want to pass appropriate levels into your milk. See if you can find a doc who will be willing to monitor your levels if you don't want to supplement?

If you do decide to just supplement, you can find supplements that are in organic bases and literally you only need a drop or two instead of a full dropper. I'd feel comfortable giving that to a BF baby since it isn much liquid and prob won't mess with the Virgin BF gut.

myoo 03-18-2012 05:18 PM

Re: vitamin d supplements for infant while breastfeeding?

We did the D-Vi-Sol, although we often missed days and didn't worry about it. DS actually loved it.

Urchin 03-18-2012 06:27 PM

We live up north (canada) and since DD was born in October, there's no real way for either of us to get enough Vit D.

My doc recommended d-vi-sol but i just found it SO sugary and messy. I switched to D-drops. It's just a single drop and much easier to administer.

When I was pregnant I made sure to take lots of Vitamin D. I remembered reading that when mom's take a good amount during pregnancy, then baby is born with more stored in thier own body. I think they are born with enough to cover their first 3 months ?

mommycass 03-18-2012 06:58 PM

My Dr recommended Vit D drops for my 2nd and 3rd. My 2nd is 4 now and I think when she was a baby they recommended a supplement that was more than just Vit.D and it gave her gas and caused her to be real fussy so I didnt use anything else after that. I never used anything for my 3rd, she's 15 months and BFing, doing great! I don't appreciate the Drs pushing things unless they are necessary for that child specificly. I like the idea of getting your levels checked but I'd just go with your mommy instinct:) God Bless!

Alikhlas 03-18-2012 07:02 PM

I'm in the same boat..but haven't bought them yet either. It's a standard rec not specific to my girl so Im not sure about following it. Spring and summer are coming up and I started taking her for daily walks instead, and will start cow milk soon so that'll cover the fortification aspect

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

RunawayBunny 03-19-2012 08:35 AM

I definitely think this is an individual case type thing. We are in the southern US, but i always had my son and myself covered. I know for certain my levels were low. I supplemented myself every day and occasionally my son with D-drops.

I am under the impression that if your levels are good, then your milk's levels will be good so if you dont want to supp baby, maybe you can get your levels checked instead.

Manderzthegr8 03-19-2012 08:46 AM

I do the d-vi-sol with my baby girl and so far so good. she doesn't mind taking it and it doesn't seem to affect her in any negative way
:)

SageR 03-19-2012 12:02 PM

Vitamin D deficiency is now recognized as being quite common. The amount in the RDA is now seen as being not nearly enough. And, even if you spend a lot of time in the sun you may not manufacture enough. People who live in places with a true winter, people with darker skin, and those who use physical and chemical sunscreens/blocks are particularly at risk.

I'm not comfortable with giving my ebf babies anything but breastmilk so I supplement myself. It is in my prenatal but I also take Carlson's drops. I do give the drops to my older children in the cold weather months. In the summer they spend most of their time outside near naked so I am confident they get what they need then.

jackyl08 03-19-2012 05:39 PM

DS gets a supplement of Vit A, C and D. Our doc prescribed it for him and since we live in Oregon(read: RAIN constantly), we do it. He is 7.5mths and we started it 2wks ago.