Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Not responding to antibiotics (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368612)

maddys_mama 03-18-2012 09:46 AM

Not responding to antibiotics

DS has been sick for 3 weeks. It started off with just a cough and cold...no biggie. But it didn't go away and didn't seem to get better. After he'd been sick for a week, he started running a low grade fever on and off for almost a week. Monday of last week (2 weeks of being ill), he took a FOUR hour nap (which he never does) and woke up with a fever of 103.5, so I decided to bring him in. Doctor said he had a double ear infection and a sinus infection (which nominates me for the worst mom of the year award, because we had just driven cross country and he apparently had this the entire time :cry: ) So she puts him on a high dose of amoxicillin and sends us on our way.

Well, here we are a week later and he's not improving much :headscratch: Fever is gone, cough is a little better, nose is still a faucet, he's still super super whiny (very out of character for him) and he's still sleeping like crap (he wakes up crying on and off all night.) I have to call our insurance in the morning to switch the kids' pediatrician to someone out here. He only has 4 days left on the meds but shouldn't they have made a more drastic effect by now? Would you bring him back in tomorrow or wait until he's done with the meds?

TheGreenBee 03-18-2012 11:41 AM

I would probably go back. Sounds like a misdiagnosis to me because with antibiotics you should see improvement in the first couple doses.

Is the ear infection still present? It could be that he had a combination of the ear/chest infection ad a viral infection in which case the antibiotics will clear up the bacterial infections but not touch the viral so you just need to let that run its course.

spencerrn 03-18-2012 12:31 PM

Re: Not responding to antibiotics

Could be he has a resistant bacteria and needs a stronger antibiotic. I would take him back to the doc.

FindingMercy 03-18-2012 12:56 PM

Sounds like an illness that went through our house. We did antibiotic ear drops in one of my girls ears and grapefruit seed extract drops in the younger ones ears. Worked wonders.

isabelsmummy 03-18-2012 02:33 PM

The runny nose is likely viral so that will just run it's course. It sounds like he's getting better but I might take him back to see how the ear infection is doing. It's possible that he needs a different antibiotic.

songbird516 03-18-2012 02:36 PM

It could be viral and not bacterial. I've read that 90% of antibiotics are perscribed for conditions that are viral and so they are not only ineffective, but they also damage the immune system by wiping out the good bacteria in the gut system. So something that he may have been able to fight off (like a virus) can be much harder to get rid of after antibiotic treatment.
Probiotics might help, as well as whole food vitamin C supplementation, grapeseed extract, and fermented foods to help strengthen the immune system. I wouldn't go with a heavier antibiotic unless you are sure that it is a bacterial infection or he has a really high fever. Otherwise I'd try to let his immune system work first by strengthening it.

juliasmom 03-18-2012 08:07 PM

I would wait until he finishes the antibiotic before taking him back to the doctor (unless he has new or worsening symptoms). A lot of kids ear infections don't respond to amoxicilin. My sweet nephew is very prone to them and he always need a stronger antibiotic (like augmentin) to clear the infection.

I had a sinus infection that lasted 5 weeks around Christmas time :( I'm pregnant and I could hardly take any medicine, and the Z-Pack that I was perscribed did nothing for it! It was miserable, but things like sinus infection and ear infections can take a long time to resolve and drain.

maddys_mama 03-18-2012 08:27 PM

I'll hold off on bringing him back in unless he gets worse. The crankiness is extreme and is driving us crazy, but he also decided to wean from nursing cold turkey last week and seems to be regretting that decision now (milk is gone though!) and that might be why he's so dang fussy.

I don't know about his ears...the only symptom he had was the fever and that's gone. This was only his second ear infection and he never yanked or tugged on his ears either time so it's hard for me to judge if they're actually bothering him still.

tygr2410 03-18-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliasmom (Post 14821252)
I would wait until he finishes the antibiotic before taking him back to the doctor (unless he has new or worsening symptoms). A lot of kids ear infections don't respond to amoxicilin. My sweet nephew is very prone to them and he always need a stronger antibiotic (like augmentin) to clear the infection.

If he's note getting better i would take him back as soon as you are able. My DS does not respond to amoxicilin. Each time he has been given it (twice) we have had to go back 4 days later b/c i've seen no improvement and each time the infection in his ears was worse. I now request something stronger, which isn't' necc great, but it clears the infection as DS is a happy camper again. (he does have a referral in for tubes for frequent ear infections)

pcjs 03-19-2012 10:52 AM

Call the clinic and ask them if they can see you even though your tricare has not transferred or take him to the ER (its free). I would not wait. Worst case, call or email your old provider.