Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Relief from terrible Vericose Veins during Pregnancy? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368709)

Mummandherboys 03-18-2012 02:20 PM

Relief from terrible Vericose Veins during Pregnancy?

Hello Mama's,

I am wondering if there are others out there who struggle with terrible vericose veins during your pregnancies? It has been a terrible struggle for me during 3 of my 4 pregnancies and though we are not pregnant now, we are hoping for one more baby in the not-too-distant-future, we hope :) BUT...as much as I feel confident that I would like to try for 1 more baby, I am scared that the pain of the veins for that many months will just be too much for even the tighest support panty hose! :( I am wondering what else you have found to help/work to relieve some discomfort and pain during pregnancy, besides the support hose... I have heard of a V-strap for the vaginal veins that I also deal with... what are your thoughts on that? I would love any, and all, ideas to give me some confidence that my body can do this once more! :)

Thank you! :hugs:

tygr2410 03-18-2012 03:40 PM

Re: Relief from terrible Vericose Veins during Pregnancy?

nothing helps me aside from having my legs up...second pregnancy dealing with them, and they are worse this time than last:banghead:

Mummandherboys 03-19-2012 03:11 PM

I'm so sorry Mama... I completely understand where you are at! :( I am hoping others have some ideas on anything that might give some relief!...any support hose that are better than others??...I have tried many brands...but would love to know if there is anything else that people do??...stop getting pregnant!?? LOL! ;)

TPLmommy 03-19-2012 03:35 PM

I'm 37 weeks with #3 & this is my second pregnancy dealing with horrible varicose veins. I have had days during this pregnancy & my last when all I could do was stand for a few (literally like 2 or 3) minutes at a time before running to the couch for relief. The support hose actually hurt me more, don't know if I had the wrong size or what, but I plan on buying one of these: http://amzn.com/B000F1S254 if God blesses us with another baby in the future. I've read great things about them!

Here are some things I do/have done that help a little...
-Leg massage to work the blood back up into my body (my most painful veins are around my ankles & feet).
-Take frequent rests during the day with my feet propped up.
-Light exercise, especially stretching.
-Avoid tight clothing or panties, I wear mostly skirts & dresses during the day & yoga pants pulled up around my belly at night.
-Only DTD before bed so that my body can redistribute all the blood (or do whatever it needs to do) while I sleep, otherwise I'm in a lot of pain for the rest of the day. :blush:

However, *for me*, it's just one of many difficulties (like 12-18 weeks of severe M/S) during a pregnancy & would never ever keep me from having another sweet baby. :goodvibes:

ETA: I was fitted for medical grade support hose & all that, but they still hurt me. :/ My mom mentioned that they now have support socks (at Bed Bath & Beyond I think) that might be helpful too. Next time! :)

tygr2410 03-19-2012 08:23 PM

oh there are medical grade compression hose...you have to be fitted for them, not just buy a small/medium/large off the shelf.

Admitably, i have some...but i live in the south and it's hot..and i'm even hotter when pregnant, so i only wear them when i know i will be on my feet a long time.

Strangely, the veins bothered me most of all between 12-28ish weeks...they aren't as painful now (maybe i've gotten use to them?) I was having some itching going on, but i figured out that the swelling and regular pregnancy dryness was making toilet paper stick to me more, and switched to using the cloth type and holy cow, what a difference!

I did have one instance where a vein in my leg had some issues...not sure if i just hit it on something and didn't realize it, or if it burst. I was 19.5 weeks then. We had just got the gender u/s done and went to the mall..the first store we stopped in, i felt an itching just below my knee..reached down and noticed some swelling so thought i'd better take a look incase i got bit by something...nope, just a huge bruise forming and instant swelling causing the itching...we went home shortly after so i could put my legs up

oneduckstuck5 03-20-2012 03:04 PM

I developed varicose veins in my left leg when pregnant with #4. I'm now pregnant with #6 and just had #5 a little over a year ago so they are definitely more pronounced now. I do use the compression hose but I'm due in August so that's just not going to work for me. I don't know if this would help but I just bought a thigh compression sleeve I think it's called and I use it on my upper thigh. It does help but it makes my leg sweat. It is supposed to be for support injuries but it does velcro and provide compression support. Also taking lecithin helps (I had actually forgotten about that and dh just asked me if I was taking that this time, oops). I think there are herbs that help but not sure if they're safe during pregnancy.

Mummandherboys 03-21-2012 05:01 PM

Good thoughts! Oh that prenatal cradle looks great!...that's what I was wondering about...something like that.... I have never tried anything like this...but just know that during my pregnancies, my crotch hurts so much because of the bulging veins and pressure! I will also be looking into one of those...thank you!
I have always gotten the medical grade compression hose during my pregnancies (the ones they measure me for) and they do help...but yes, they are so super hot and make me so sweaty...no matter the time of year! I know they have always helped the pain and discomfort a bit, but it does seem like they don't compress quite enough on my feet/ankles (where mine are the worst too) and even on the inside of the thigh... so that thigh sleeve sounds interesting too... Thanks for all the thoughts Mamas... I'll keep bumping this up in case others have some suggestions/thoughts too! :)

Mummandherboys 03-21-2012 05:03 PM

oops...replied too soon ;)

Mummandherboys 03-21-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneduckstuck5 (Post 14831214)
I developed varicose veins in my left leg when pregnant with #4. I'm now pregnant with #6 and just had #5 a little over a year ago so they are definitely more pronounced now. I do use the compression hose but I'm due in August so that's just not going to work for me. I don't know if this would help but I just bought a thigh compression sleeve I think it's called and I use it on my upper thigh. It does help but it makes my leg sweat. It is supposed to be for support injuries but it does velcro and provide compression support. Also taking lecithin helps (I had actually forgotten about that and dh just asked me if I was taking that this time, oops). I think there are herbs that help but not sure if they're safe during pregnancy.

What is Lecithin Mama? I have never heard of it... what does it do?

oneduckstuck5 03-22-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mummandherboys (Post 14837473)
What is Lecithin Mama? I have never heard of it... what does it do?

Lecithin is a supplement which is supposed to help with circulation as well as break down fats so they keep moving through the veins. Obviously it doesn't get rid of them (I would buy stock in it if it did) but it does help alleviate some of the pain. Hope that helps.