Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   baby utensils (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368768)

Urchin 03-18-2012 04:37 PM

baby utensils

So, I am a bit wierd when it comes to plastics. My little one will be starting solids in the next month or so, and that had me thinking...

For my little one, all of her food containers are glass. But then I started to look for utensils. There are stainless steel ones, but I don't know if that's really appropriate for a little one who is learning to eat. There are tons of plastic onces available, but I have no idea which ones are BPA/Pthalate free or if one brand is better than the other?

What do you all use for feeding time with your little ones?

Alikhlas 03-18-2012 04:56 PM

I'm not sure how green or safe mine are, but after trying a few I fell in love with tommee tippee baby feeding spoons, they're comfy for soft gums and new teeth, and for me to hold.

Brooke789 03-18-2012 05:34 PM

Re: baby utensils

We use the Green Sprouts spoons & forks. They are great (and safe) but they can't go in the dishwasher, so you have to handwash them! My twins have been using them since 6 months (they're 21 months now).

MCR 03-18-2012 07:13 PM

My kids had an older set of stainless steel ones my mom sent to us, I think they were from when I was a toddler. They were fine.

KB'sMama1031 03-18-2012 07:31 PM

ours are made by green toys, they are called green eats, bpa free and made from recycled milk jugs, nice and small for little hands and dishwasher safe!
we got ours from amazon.com, free 2 day shipping if you have prime
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

quoted from product site:
"Eating green doesn't just mean eating your veggies. The Green Eats Feeding Spoons and Forks are made in the USA from 100% recycled plastic milk containers. This ultra-safe recycled plastic has no melamine, BPA, phthalates, PVC, or external coatings. Each of the four forks and spoons in this set has soft edges and is easy to handle for beginning eaters and those that help feed them. Make meal time healthy and full of good green fun. Packaged using only recycled and recyclable materials and printed with soy inks. Spoon and forks are 4 1/4" long. For ages 6 months and up. Dishwasher safe. All green toys products are 100% made in the USA. To be more specific, they are produced in California, a state known for strict toy safety and environmental laws. It's cool to buy USA, but also think about this: transportation is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gasses. We all know driving less is good for mother nature, but did you ever think about how many miles a toy logs before it ends up in your local store? Our toys are truly local creations. Every step in the process, from milk container recycling to toy production to final assembly, occurs in California. Our raw materials and toys aren't shipped from overseas, which saves a lot of energy and reduces greenhouse gasses. It also guarantees your toys won't get seasick before they get to your home."

mamaspice 03-18-2012 07:33 PM

You can get silicone ones

melyndie 03-18-2012 07:47 PM

I started out with a silver spoon (silver is a healthy metal to have in your system!) and them moved to a bigger stainless steel set when DD needed bigger silverware. I never had trouble with starting out with something that wasn't soft. DD did start solids at 10.5 months though, not 6 months.

Urchin 03-19-2012 07:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't realize how clueless I was with this.. hah

sisu 03-19-2012 10:13 AM

We had, and still have, THIS stainless set for DS. He didn't have any problems with them at all. We also have some of THESE bamboo ones, they're OK but I prefer the stainless for ease of washing.

pcjs 03-19-2012 10:29 AM

Bad plastic mom here. Ikea has a nice set of silverware but the spoon is bigger. My son loves that set over the all the others for some reason (I need to get more) but I think it looks more like ours. You can also use ice tea spoons. We used ours when everything else was dirty. They are smaller.