Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dinner question....picky eaters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368800)

Colleen+1 03-18-2012 06:42 PM

Dinner question....picky eaters

When your lo's are picky and not wanting to eat what you have for dinner, do you make them something special or something else?

Ds is 18 mos old, and seems to be getting pickier. Sometimes he's good, sometimes not. He pretty much refuses all meat all the time, so meals are difficult to start. Tonight we had at my parents- chicken, asparagus, salad, salt potatoes, and pasta. He ate nothing. They made the pasta just for him- He has gotten picky about the type of noodle he eats. He only likes big ones. He only drank his milk tonight....Dh gets pretty upset about this- it doesn't happen often, but more lately than ever before. I'd also like him to eat, but don't want to play the here, have this, no? ok, how about this....etc.

I do always offer and give him the foods he refuses, but he is getting to the stage where he knows what he wants and if he isn't getting it he gets mad. He wanted a bagel the other day and cried at breakfast for it. I don't want to make him separate meals and get him used to that, kwim?

mebl0901 03-18-2012 06:56 PM

Re: Dinner question....picky eaters

We are having this problem right now with our DS. He's gotten very picky just in the last couple of weeks. He has been sick, too, so at first I thought it was that, but he's better now and still picky so I'm assuming it's the toddler thing (DD did it too and it was just a phase for her).

He is only 16 months so I put everything on his plate that we eat, just cut up really small. He usually won't it it. Tonight we had flank steak, roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli. He ended up throwing the whole plate on the floor. :banghead: I made him wait until everyone else was finished and then I gave him some organic yogurt with sweet potatoes mixed in and a cut up banana. I have resorted back to making baby food and hiding it in yogurt and applesauce since that's basically all he's interested in. He did however like the pot roast/potatoes/carrots I made the other night.

I just never know what he will eat and what he won't. But no, at this point, I don't let him go to bed hungry. He's still a baby.

Colleen+1 03-18-2012 07:03 PM

Ds was sick too this week, has 3 teeth coming in and fell today and cut his lip a little so that may have been hurting him.

He seems to have his appetite back post sickness, and ate an entire sandwich, sweet potatoes and crackers for lunch. I do also not like him to not really eat anything, besides drinking about 8 oz of milk...but if this continues I will probably have to, now my hormonal self is a bit upset thinking about it.

Please don't think I'm starving him :( and I don't want to turn this into a debate either- just looking for some advice and what you do with your lo's

MCR 03-18-2012 07:07 PM

I just give them what everyone else is having, usually there is something on the plate that they like or will eat. I did find all my kids stopped wanting any kind of sauce on anything around age two :headscratch: No gravy no cheese sauce nothing. and it went on for years. I rarely make them something special just because they don't like dinner, but will occasionally cook their favorites for everyone to eat.

knodceo 03-18-2012 07:09 PM

I don't do separate meals. I put a small amount of each thin on her plate and she has to taste everything. When she is hungry later and didn't eat dinner she gets the plate of food. It stopped that real quick. But honestly it is our only battle.

Leiiki 03-18-2012 07:12 PM

I don't make a special meal for DD and never have. She gets what we're having, cut up. She also gets a side of fruit, a sauce for dipping, and either kefir or water. If she doesn't eat anything, she still has to sit and wait for mommy and daddy to finish eating. Some days she doesn't eat much, others she is gobbling everything in sight and asking for more off our plates (we are ok with that). Toddlers will eat if they're hungry, forcing them to eat doesn't really accomplish anything, and making them special foods all the time just makes them pickier.

Colleen+1 03-18-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki (Post 14821030)
I don't make a special meal for DD and never have. She gets what we're having, cut up. She also gets a side of fruit, a sauce for dipping, and either kefir or water. If she doesn't eat anything, she still has to sit and wait for mommy and daddy to finish eating. Some days she doesn't eat much, others she is gobbling everything in sight and asking for more off our plates (we are ok with that). Toddlers will eat if they're hungry, forcing them to eat doesn't really accomplish anything, and making them special foods all the time just makes them pickier.

This makes me feel better. He wasn't angry after dinner and crying for food. That is what I told Dh, I can't force him, but then my pregnancy hormones started to get the best of me

carriek38 03-18-2012 07:40 PM

We've always done a separate meal for DD d/t some early food sensitivities, including dairy, onions, chocolate, and berries. Generally, she gets a protein, a veggie, and a starch...we try to make it food that DD is likely to eat, but not just "kid food." Tonight was a hot dog (leftover from when we all had them on Friday), peas & carrots, a slice of soy cheese, & sauerkraut. I'm finding that now that she's 2, the thing she liked 2 days ago she doesn't like today. So she powered through the hot dog & the "cheese", 1/2 the peas, & pushed the sauerkraut off her plate onto the table. Normally she loves, but not today...but it was only kraut, so not a big loss. But when she does it, say, when her meal is rice & beans (normally a fave where I can sneak in some veggies)...she tells me she's done, I make sure she understands that if she doesn't eat her dinner, there's no fun snack before bed, all she gets is her normal cup of milk, then I let her clear her plate if she wants. And in two hours, when she asks for snack, I remind her about dinner & offer to let her lay w/ me & snuggle on the couch w/ her milk. It usually goes pretty smoothly, except that once, a couple weeks ago, there was a meal that she just did NOT want to eat, & come snack time she was wretched b/c she really was hungry. We caved that night & gave her a peanut-butter sandwich, b/c I really can't bear to send her to bed hungry. Oh, and for her, everything is better w/ ranch dressing...there is very little she won't eat if she has ranch to dip it in.

november 03-18-2012 07:49 PM

I don't make a separate meal, no. I do make sure I always offer her everything we are having and I also make sure there is one (or more) things I KNOW she will eat so that there is familiarity there. If she gobbles those up and wants more, I tell her she must take a bite of ____ before she gets more of her favorite foods. This works well for us and so far, she complies. She tries everything at most meals - sometimes she doesn't like what she tries, sometimes she does.

megenic 03-18-2012 07:54 PM

I never make separate meals, but always have lots of stuff available that I know my girls like. So, at each meal, I have cut up fruit and veggies, chunks of cheese, some hummus for dip...that way even if they don't like what I made, they have something healthy to eat.

The last thing you ever want to do is get into battles over food. It's your job as a parent to provide plenty of healthy, nutritious food, and it's your LO's job to decide when and how much to eat.

In our house, we do 6 mini meals a day. 3 main meals plus 3 snacks. Each time I serve food, I ensure it's nutritionally dense and balanced. If someone isn't hungry, I know there will be another opportunity for healthy food in a few hours.

I do, however, require that each kid take at least 1 bite of everything I'm serving. That's because tastes change over time, so just because they didn't like it last week doesn't mean they won't like it if they try it again. But once they take that bite, they don't have to eat more if they don't want to. They ask to be excused from the table, and that's that. Next snack, more healthy food arrives, and they can choose again.

Food should be enjoyable and relaxed, and if you fight with little ones over it, you're bound to lose, and they may end up with food-related issues down the road.