Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Is tap water okay? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369009)

RockinLou 03-19-2012 08:58 AM

Is tap water okay?

I am weaning my 9 month old, and have been giving him tap water to drink out of his cup, but he's never really gotten more than a few ounces a day. When DD was weaned to formula we were living in Morocco, so I boiled her water daily. do I need to do the same here?

mibarra 03-19-2012 09:40 AM

Re: Is tap water okay?

Where do you live? We never boiled our water, we just gave DD tap water, even to mix her formula. If you are concerned, contact your city or water company for a water quality report, which will give you detailed information about what is in your water. :)

cjslater1 03-19-2012 10:59 AM

I think depends where you live, Our city was voted 3rd best water in the world, but I still use the gallons of gerber water.

pcjs 03-19-2012 11:03 AM

Younger than that, I'd boil. But, its fine to use tap. I'd just filter it (fridge or britta)

happysmileylady 03-19-2012 11:09 AM

I think tap is probably just fine

Computermama 03-19-2012 12:01 PM

Unless there's something wrong with your water, you don't need to boil it. I might filter it if it tastes odd, but it should be fine. Even for formula making they don't recommend boiling or sterilizing past about 4 months.

november 03-19-2012 12:30 PM

We had well water so we didn't use that. We used distilled water. As to whether I'll use tap water w/ our next baby, I'll have to read our local water reports.

RockinLou 03-19-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama (Post 14824140)
Unless there's something wrong with your water, you don't need to boil it. I might filter it if it tastes odd, but it should be fine. Even for formula making they don't recommend boiling or sterilizing past about 4 months.

thanks- I drink it straight from the tap so I'm not too worried!

SPJ&E 03-20-2012 11:24 AM

With the last 2, we used nursery water for a while and then tap. With this one, we use distilled water and will do-so until he's off of formula. Our water here is heavily treated. It tastes like pool water to me. If I won't drink it myself, I'm not about to give it to my 6 month old.

If your water tastes good to you, chances are it's just fine for your baby.

moms5angels 03-20-2012 12:34 PM

ive always used tap water even in my kids formula the day they came home from the hospital. i think shell b ok :)