Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New Walker on hard floors (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369148)

wonton 03-19-2012 12:33 PM

New Walker on hard floors

So we are going to be moving (yea!) to a new rental home and ALL the floors are hard, tile downstairs and wood laminate upstairs.

My daughter will be 14 mos when we move in, she started walking around 11mos. She certainly still very much "toddles" and wobbles when she walks.

I remember when I lived at my mom's house that she had tiled and my feet always hurt, so I am worried about dd's feet.

She has a pair of Robeez soft soles that she wears when we leave the house.

Does she need shoes inside since it's all hard floors?
I was thinking something like robeez minishoez or pediped originals, since they have a bit more cushion but are still softer than regular shoes.
I was thinking her feet wont feel much better in just robeez soft soles.

I know barefeet are best, but even on hard surfaces ALL the time?

I have flat feet so thats probably a major reason my feet hurt on hard floors.

tia!

EmilytheStrange 03-19-2012 12:37 PM

We have hard floors downstairs and my daughter usually just wears socks cause it's winter. Once it's warmer, will prolly be barefoot.

We were in a temporary lodging facility when she was just learning to walk that was all hardwood floors and she slipped around a bit, but got used to it quickly.

You certainly can use Robeez, we have some, but usually only wear shoes outdoors.

seacat 03-19-2012 12:44 PM

Re: New Walker on hard floors

We've got all hard woods and DS1 hates sock and shoes. He learned to walk on hard wood and has been barefoot ever since. Barefoot is really best, but if the tile seems irritating... for a good beginner shoe I like robeez mini shoes and pediped, but make sure they have a little grip and are not just leather. The most dangerous thing I found was just socks. He'll come racing down the stairs and hit the floor and its always a wipe out.

juliasmom 03-19-2012 01:33 PM

We have all hard floors. Barefoot is best. The only difference is that you can't do socks without grippy bottoms... too slippery. I also had a pair of leather bottom shoes (Livie and Luca) that seemed to slick when she first started walking. We like those Skidder socks for winter time.

Dmpmercury 03-19-2012 02:25 PM

I had hard wood floors for all my new walkers and barefoot is fine. I much prefer hard wood to carpet. We are moving to a place with carpet and I will miss the wood. It is so much easier to clean.

iris0110 03-19-2012 02:39 PM

We moved when Tharen was about 16 months. I don't allow shoes in my home though I bend the rules some for soft soled shoes. He could wear his soft shoes in the house if he wanted to but he usually took them off. Our house is almost all laminate and tile, only the bedrooms have carpet (which I hate, I would rather have all laminate or wood). He has been walking since he was 8 months but I don't know that it makes much difference. What probably makes more difference is that we live in TX and it was summer so the floors definitely weren't cold. I like soft soled shoes and have nothing against buying more pairs for in home wear I just don't think it is really necessary simply because you have hard floors. Barefoot is always best (better grip).