Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I swear it's not THAT dangerous. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369284)

Joyful Tie Dyes 03-19-2012 05:19 PM

I swear it's not THAT dangerous.

So when sharing our happy news I have had a few people express a "OMG that's so dangerous" or "I'm just worried sick about you" kind of feeling about me being pregnant. Now I am 41, my DS will be three when the newbie arrives.

Now I don't feel like I am doing anything that is a huge risk of life and limb. My MW is not concerned, I am not concerned, but I admit hearing that sentiment expressed causes me a lot of anxiety.

Am I just delusional?

sea697 03-19-2012 05:23 PM

No, you are not delusional, and that is so flippin rude for people to say something like that or give off that vibe. However, people never cease to amaze me with their lack of social skills and manners, so I guess I'm not surprised! So many people are having children at your age now, and if your mw is not worried you shouldn't be either :)

Hands&Fire Pottery 03-19-2012 05:29 PM

Re: I swear it's not THAT dangerous.

Those comments just seem strange, not to mention unpleasant.

Joyful Tie Dyes 03-19-2012 05:32 PM

Yeah and one of them came from my Dad and was preceded by "You're going to have ANOTHER one"

jackyl08 03-19-2012 05:32 PM

Not delusional. Even my OB said that she doesn't find it much of an issue over 40. Yes, there are risks(she mentioned risk of twins(!) and risk of m/c), but pregnancy in and of itself has risks. She also mentioned risk of things like DS, which I guess goes up to 1 in 40, or as she put it, you have a 39 out of 40 chance of a healthy baby. I would not concern myself with others worries, since you are big girl and can take care of yourself, no? :) Good luck and congrats!

ETA: I hope this came out encouraging, as that is how I meant it!

seacat 03-19-2012 05:35 PM

You didn't specifically state, but the concern is being generated because you are 41? If that's the case I'm ROFL. Are you kidding me? No, I would have no issues if I were to become pregnant at 41. We intend to try for our last child around 38. Yes, there are some additional risks and things to take note of but we are not living in the dark ages people. Congratulations!!!

MrsStripe 03-19-2012 05:58 PM

Well, if it is dangerous, then I'm sure you are in good company. Personally, I hope to be done by then, but I started earlier too. And sure there is an increased risk in some things, just think how lucky you would be if you had twins:) I would make sure to do nothing else "dangerous" while pregnant (said tongue in cheek) because everyone has their opinions. I hope it just gives you something to laugh while cuddling your little one.

magdalynaa 03-19-2012 05:58 PM

I don't know what it is about a pregnant woman that brings out the completely inappropriate in people...

maple79vt 03-19-2012 06:01 PM

Gee, here I thought the dangerous thing would be jumping out of a plane or something! That to me would be dangerous. Pregnant at 41? How does this qualify as dangerous? I think it's a blessing. Congratulations!

momnb4 03-19-2012 06:03 PM

I just had my fifth at 41 and got alot of flak for it everyone kept calling such a high risk pregnancy and by the end of it I felt like a freak for having a baby at my age but if financially we could afford it I would do it again!I refused an amnio and all testing as made no difference to me but I know they do recommend testing for Downs etc as age does increase risk.Your health prepregnancy also makes a difference.Hope you a healthy happy pregnancy!