Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Unexplained High Fevers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369365)

MommyZ of 2 03-19-2012 08:05 PM

Unexplained High Fevers?

Both of my boys, ages 4 years and 18 months, have had high fevers with no other symptoms for three days now. The fever makes them absolutely miserable, but after some Tylenol, they're back to their normal selves and want to go play outside. No runny nose, cough, ear discomfort, or red throat- nothing at all but fever. Im taking my 4 yr olds temp axillary (armpit) and getting 103.5 sometimes! I called the doctor today, and she told me that if it continues through Wednesday, to bring them in. I'm so confused- shouldn't there be SOMETHING else going on with them with a fever this high? Anyone else had something like this happen? BTW they've both had Roseola already.

Bukawww 03-19-2012 08:14 PM

My 6yr old is dealing with this exactly right now...we got a temporal temp of 105.6 at one point!!!! 103.5 under the tongue 20 min after Motrin.

My kids do occasionally get just a fever although never this high and same as you, they've all had roseolla.

At the moment, I'm just really hoping the 2wk old is able to escape whatever bug this might be.

mrseum 03-19-2012 08:42 PM

Ds1 had this! The fever came mon then was gone over 24 hrs, than came back. At one point I got 103 under arm; so we took him to the ER. He has a double ear infection! He never even complained. :( our friends' daughter had a high fever on and off for a week and a half! She was tested for everything, and nothing showed up. It finally seems to be gone now. Ds2 also had a mild fever on and off for a few days. Whatever this bug is, it's very strange!

MommyZ of 2 03-19-2012 09:24 PM

Thanks, mamas. It is really comforting to know that others have had this experience.

3lilbubs 03-19-2012 10:46 PM

Re: Unexplained High Fevers?

My kids went thru that, high fever and headache for 2-3 days acting normal when they were medicated. But on day 3-4ish vomiting,sour stomach, belching, runny nose, body aches and a deep congested cough appeared. The doctor's office wasn't even sure what it was but it hit the town all at once.

Bukawww 03-19-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
My kids went thru that, high fever and headache for 2-3 days acting normal when they were medicated. But on day 3-4ish vomiting,sour stomach, belching, runny nose, body aches and a deep congested cough appeared. The doctor's office wasn't even sure what it was but it hit the town all at once.

Did the dr just figure it for a virus that has to run its course or did he have other suggestions? Yours sounds very influenza- like.

EmmaGM 03-20-2012 12:15 AM

I had this once when I was a kid. 103 temp completely unexplained. My doctor ended up saying it was a virus. I never had any other symptoms. :dunno:

Sent from my Galaxy Skyrocket using DS Forum

momgoddess 03-20-2012 12:42 AM

Re: Unexplained High Fevers?

Fever means the body is FIGHTING off an infection. Fevers are always seen as bad, but in fact they are many times a good thing. If we are exposed to something, then our body's reaction in order to kill it is to heat up with a fever. Sometimes the fever does it's job and successfully fights it off, and sometimes the bug wins and we get sick. This is often why a fever is the first and only symptom of something and sometimes a fever will happen out of no where (exposure) and then go away and no other symptoms. Those are the times that the fever wins! A lot of times suppressing the fever with Tylenol or other medications does a disservice. The body is a miraculous thing that is capable of fighting infection and that is the fever's role. If you always suppress the fever, then the fever doesn't have the chance to do it's job and the likelihood of coming down with whatever it was fighting is pretty high. Of course, there are risks with TOO HIGH fevers, that need to be treated...but the average, regular fever is a healthy process of our body and I personally try not to suppress it so it can do it's job.

That's my 2 cents on fevers! ;)

Bukawww 03-20-2012 08:26 AM

I agree with you on the fevers. We don't usually medicate for them unless they are over 103 (and only to make sure it comes down 1 degree in 1 hour) or before bed if the kiddo is too uncomfortable to rest.

Obviously the 105 reading had me freaking out a little - especially because she wasn't radiating heat like I would normally expect from a temp that high AND I fel like a bad mom for missing such a high temp when I was pretty sure it was only around 102 or so (we only own thermometers when there is an infant in the house).

I never had 'just a fever' when I was growing up but my mom always medicated at the first sign of fever so that's probably why....hence my marveling at my kids immune systems since they often have 'just a fever' and usually escape the symptoms everyone at school is riddled with.

MommyZ of 2 03-20-2012 04:41 PM

Both my kids are fever-free today and back to normal! Yea! Of course, the baby tripped and busted his lip open a little- but that's life, I guess!