Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Oct (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Punkin Handmade Diaper Share Thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369907)

zacifer 03-20-2012 08:56 PM

Punkin Handmade Diaper Share Thread

I know I'm not the only Mama who mentioned sewing some mama made dipes. I thought I'd start this thread so we can talk about the process, and share our progress. Add to it whenever you sew up a new dipe Mamas! Can't wait to see your handmade dipes!

zacifer 03-20-2012 08:59 PM

Re: Punkin Handmade Diaper Share Thread

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...r/love1of3.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...r/love2of3.jpg

This is my first ever handmade diaper. It needs some work, but its ok for a first attempt. It has an inner and outer layer of flannel, a hidden inner layer of fleece, and a sewn in soaker of two layers upcycled terry towel, and two layers flannel. Its the DD orange pattern and I plan to add velcro later. I did the hidden inner layer of fleece hoping it would add a waterproof - ish barrier so babe could go coverless some to show off the cute flannel prints, but it didn't really work. It held a lot of water when I tested it, but when I applied pressure to the outside of the dipe, it soaked through the fleece. So, I won't be doing that again, especially since I think it made my full body layering too thick and the elastic didn't stretch as well. I'm off now to try diaper #2!

zacifer 03-20-2012 09:02 PM

Oh, and I'm doing all my dipes on the cheap. I was handed down a full rubbermaid of flannel, so I'm ONLY using that. Soakers will be made out of old towels and flannel and I have some fleece in my stash as well to use wherever. I do not have a snap press and won't buy one since I'm doing this on the cheap. So I cut out a permanant cord notch. My only cost should be velcro and thread. YAY! I am "buying" my covers at my consignment shop with credit I have there. So they're free. They only sell proraps so that's what will cover all my dipes.

Michellelg 03-20-2012 09:09 PM

How cute! Good job. Makes me wish I still had my sewing machine. And time. And motivation. Go supermom!

Keme 03-20-2012 11:56 PM

ADORABLE! I know my way around a sewing machine- but this looks so fancy! The fabric is super cute too- way to go crafty lady

zacifer 03-21-2012 01:07 AM

Kara, it was not fancy at all. A bit of straight stitching, a bit of zig zag, a bunch of layering, sewn in elastic (I didn't even make a casing for it!), and turn and top stitch. Super easy. I find the hardest part is learning the science behind knowing how many layers will be needed and which layers will be most absorbant and less bulky. Diaper #2 was a flop tonight, but its salvagable and hopefully I can give it a 2nd try tomorrow.

kymdenise 03-21-2012 06:52 AM

I worry I wouldn't be able to get the elastic even. How do you do that??

capizzi0 03-21-2012 09:50 AM

I really want to try and make some this time! I have tons of hoarded knit prints and a few yards of bamboo fleece & terry. The elastic part has me scared too!

zacifer 03-21-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kymdenise (Post 14834221)
I worry I wouldn't be able to get the elastic even. How do you do that??

Quote:

Originally Posted by capizzi0 (Post 14835144)
I really want to try and make some this time! I have tons of hoarded knit prints and a few yards of bamboo fleece & terry. The elastic part has me scared too!

I won't give elastic advice b/c this is my first ever diaper. And I'm not sure I did the elastic right. But I joined the NB sewing thread in the craft section, and those ladies are super helpful. Most all the ladies there are sewing NB dipes. I've also read tons of tutorials to try to familiarize myself with the process and tips, and I've printed out tons of free dipe patterns, some of which come with directions. For this dipe, I just sewed the elastic right on the dipe before turning and topstitching. I sewed 6 inches relaxed. But I think the legs holes are too big and a mama in the craft chat said she thought it was b/c my layers were too bulky. So on my next dipe, I'm going to nix the hidden inner layer, and use only 5 inches of elastic on the legs and see how that goes. The back elastic didn't really work so going to try a diff way on my next one.

Sweetbabybows 03-22-2012 04:46 PM

I think for the elastic it needs to be a certain length stretched. I bought the ddu pattern for my last baby I'll go look thru it and see what it says about the orange size elastic.