Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Salem, OR (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1370110)

myboygus 03-21-2012 11:09 AM

Salem, OR

Hi mamas,

Who all lives in the Salem, OR area? My family is new to the area and I'd love to hear what there is to do in Salem with kids. My husband works all day while I'm home with a 3.5 year old and a 1 month old. I'd love to be able to take my oldest to the park or something but I don't know of any.

So I'm hoping someone can help me out. What is there to do??? I'm going to go crazy cooped inside the house all day.

catilina 04-04-2012 10:44 AM

Re: Salem, OR

Welcome to Salem! We've been here almost a year and have been loving it! :) What part of Salem are you in? I live in south Salem so I mostly know what's around down here.

There are tons of parks but the weather has been so terrible lately! We usually just go to our small neighborhood park but when we feel like being adventurous we like to go to the park on Mildred Lane (in south Salem). I can't remember the name of it but the playgrounds are so fun! Also like Bush's Pasture Park, Minto Brown, and Riverfront Park. In the summer we like to go to one of the parks with a splash pad (Wes Bennett, on Baxter Rd. behind the Walmart in south Salem. Riverfront Park has one too but the bathrooms are quite a walk from the splash pad, so I don't love it! I think there's also some fountains for kids in front of the capitol.).

AC Gilbert House (children's museum) is a favorite. We've had a pass this year but it's about to run out. :( My kids can spend all day there, especially when the weather's nice and they can run around outside on the huge playground! The membership also gets you into OMSI in Portland and the Science Factory in Eugene and a bunch of out-of-state discovery museums.

There is also the Northwest Kids Club in south Salem (near Northern Lights Theater), but I think it's pricey so we never go. It's basically an indoor park. Northern Lights often has matinees of kids movies, and at $3/ticket, it can be a good option for a rainy day. :) There is a great little coffee shop in south Salem, just south of Trader Joe's, next door to Mother Goose resale on s. Commercial, called Latte Play. It is totally catered to parents with little ones, with two play areas full of toys and healthy, kid-friendly snacks and lunches on the menu (in addition to coffee, tea, etc). It's a great place to meet up with other mom friends and actually get to enjoy a conversation while the little ones play. :)

In the summer, my kids love to go to the Wednesday and Saturday markets and just walk around (and of course buy fresh produce. They think they hit the jackpot with a bag of sungold or cherry tomatoes and a basket of berries or a fresh young coconut!). Saturday Market just had it's first weekend, I think. Both markets are downtown, but in slightly different locations. And if it's rainy, we sometimes go to the Salem Public Market, on Rural and 12th (south Salem), open every Saturday morning. It's small but fun on occasion.

You can also tour/walk around inside the Capitol. We haven't done this yet but intend to! Deepwood Estates, Bush House, Oregon Garden (in Silverton). Of course there's the carousel at Riverfront Park (insider tip: if you take your kids to see the woodcarvers before riding the carousel, they almost always give the kids a free ride pass! They love the little visitors!). The downtown library has a great kids' area, and even better "discovery room," which has fun "exhibits" the kids can play with that change about every 6 weeks. The Mission Mill is fun, and free on Tuesdays (at least it used to be. We haven't gone in about a year). Maybe not that great for young kids, but my 5 1/2 year old and 3 year old have always enjoyed it (I've been forcing museums on them for years, though, so maybe they're just used to that kind of thing!). When the weather gets nicer and things start growing, we LOVE going berry picking as a family. :)

Hope that gives you a few ideas of what to do with your kiddos! Salem is a great place to have a family! :)

catilina 04-04-2012 10:49 AM

Forgot to mention our favorite thing to do as a family, when it's warm and dry! Hiking! Silver Falls State Park, North Santiam Recreation Area, any of the wilderness refuges in the area (Baskett Slough in west Salem and one south near Jefferson, can't remember the name), Minto Brown are some of the places we frequent. :) And of course the beaches! I love Oregon year-round, but in the summer it's heaven on earth!!!! :)

stevensmom 04-04-2012 10:54 AM

Also during the summer drive one hour east on 22 and you'll be at Detroit lake.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

myboygus 04-05-2012 10:40 AM

Wow, thank you for all that wonderful information! That is very helpful. We live just outside of Salem, east on hwy 22. All those things sound like something we'd enjoy. We've already been to the AC Gilbert House and our 3 year old loved it. We plan on getting a membership for sure. Thanks for all the great ideas! :goodvibes:

bumminbeachbabe 04-06-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboygus
Wow, thank you for all that wonderful information! That is very helpful. We live just outside of Salem, east on hwy 22. All those things sound like something we'd enjoy. We've already been to the AC Gilbert House and our 3 year old loved it. We plan on getting a membership for sure. Thanks for all the great ideas! :goodvibes:

It sounds like you live out my way. When it's rainy my boys love the library. We will go to the one in Salem or the one in Stayton. The kids area librarian in Stayton is fantastic.

There are parks all around. My kids love the splash pad in Keizer. Silver falls is gorgeous and the fireworks in Detroit lake on the 4th of July are amazing.

stevensmom 04-06-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe

It sounds like you live out my way. When it's rainy my boys love the library. We will go to the one in Salem or the one in Stayton. The kids area librarian in Stayton is fantastic.

There are parks all around. My kids love the splash pad in Keizer. Silver falls is gorgeous and the fireworks in Detroit lake on the 4th of July are amazing.

Hey anjuli... Next 4th (well June 30th) we need to hook up at the lake :hugegrin:

bumminbeachbabe 04-21-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom

Hey anjuli... Next 4th (well June 30th) we need to hook up at the lake :hugegrin:

No clue how I missed this! You're on!