Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   how often does/did your 5mo nurse? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1370259)

karabeth05 03-21-2012 03:58 PM

how often does/did your 5mo nurse?

At yds' 4 mo checkup the nurse asked me if he was nursing every 4 hours, and i was like "ummmm, no. about 2.5, maaaaybe 3 sometimes". now he's 5mo and still about the same. it doesn't bother me any since i am a SAHM, but it does seem to make naps difficult...he's very gassy so i feed him when he wakes up instead of nursing him to sleep, like i did my other two, so by the time he's ready for another nap he barely sleeps for 30 min and then wakes up angry and ravenous :( anyway, i'm just wondering what's average.

Katie Mae 03-21-2012 04:49 PM

Re: how often does/did your 5mo nurse?

I don't know average, DD was formula fed, but DS was nursing at least that often at 5 months if not more. He still nurses every 2-3 hours, though naps are starting to be longer than 30 minutes just this week and he's decided he likes some more foods so maybe we'll be stretching it a bit. I don't count hours because I feed on demand though, even if it is just a snack. :) I figure if it becomes an issue then I'll address it, but because I enjoy it I'm going to keep it up.

seacat 03-21-2012 05:12 PM

DS2 is about four months old and he nurses most hours of the day still. :) I would say his longer stretches are two hours and his shorter are every hour, but he's a snacker and I don't mind.

mamIIboys 03-21-2012 05:49 PM

My DD will be 5 months in a few days. I nurse on demand. Sometimes it's 4-5 hours other times it's 1-2. This is a typical weekend day (I work durring the week) she'll eat at 5, 7, 10 12, 2, 5, 7, 9, 11. She sometime sleeps through to 5 am other times she wakes between 2-3 for a snack. Durring the week I nurse her at 5am then she usually has 3 bottles between then and 5 pm so I guess it averages 3-4 hours between bottles. She finishes her weeknight by nursing at 5, 7, ,9 & 11 or someyimes skips 9 &11 & just does 10.

Teexie 03-21-2012 07:26 PM

DD was nursing at least every 2 hours at 5 months, oftentimes every hour.

Leanbh 03-21-2012 07:40 PM

We have our 4mo check up tomorrow, but he was 4 mo on the 10th of March. About the same as you. Usually about every 2-3hrs. Sometimes it could only be an hour.

He's starting to get into a more established routine for napping now all of a sudden, so I think that's starting to put a bit more structure on it too.

Now he did go four hours this morning as I was out and DH was with him, but that's very rare. That was because he fell asleep for his morning nap early and I didn't get a chance to feed him before I left :(

teacherpippi 03-21-2012 07:55 PM

ODD- every 2.5-3.5 hours during the day; every 4 hours at night
YDD- every 1.5-2 hours during the day; every 4-8 hours at night

Truckerswife 03-22-2012 07:34 AM

my 5mo eats on demand average 3 hours between feedings and 6-7 hours at night but some days sge eats more last night she was up every 3 hours

nicolejshannon 03-22-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamIIboys
My DD will be 5 months in a few days. I nurse on demand. Sometimes it's 4-5 hours other times it's 1-2. This is a typical weekend day (I work durring the week) she'll eat at 5, 7, 10 12, 2, 5, 7, 9, 11. She sometime sleeps through to 5 am other times she wakes between 2-3 for a snack. Durring the week I nurse her at 5am then she usually has 3 bottles between then and 5 pm so I guess it averages 3-4 hours between bottles. She finishes her weeknight by nursing at 5, 7, ,9 & 11 or someyimes skips 9 &11 & just does 10.

How many ounces does your dd eat from a bottle while you are at work? I nurse on demand when home, but I send pumped milk to daycare with my dd. I never know how much to put in the bottle or how many bottles to send. I usually do anywhere from 4-6 oz per bottle and about 4 bottles. Sometimes she eats 2, sometimes 4. She usually finishes the bottles when they're 4oz so I don't know if she needs more. My dd is 5 months old as well.

karabeth05 03-22-2012 09:00 AM

hm, i thought 4 hours sounded a bit long...i'm lucky if he goes that long at night! :giggle: i have been trying to stretch him more towards 3 hours, but now he's up more often at night so i think i'm going to go back to not worrying the time during the day. we nurse on demand, but i have OALD/oversupply and if he eats too much too close together he spends the next couple of hours spitting up :(