Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   More kids after a complicated delivery? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1370333)

whitneywalters 03-21-2012 07:15 PM

More kids after a complicated delivery?

I want one more baby so badly but I am doubting it will ever happen for me. I had cholestasis of pregnancy and I hemorrhaged last time. My husband is scared to even think of trying again. Am I crazy? Anyone else had more kids after issues like these?

Hands&Fire Pottery 03-21-2012 07:31 PM

Re: More kids after a complicated delivery?

I had HELLP and hemmorraghing and it didn't change my wishes or plans for my 2nd child. It did increase the stress level of my 2nd pregnancy considerably. The 2nd delivery was amazing and free from complications and makes me want to do it again.

Br2me 03-21-2012 07:39 PM

talk it out with a few drs and see what they think...then do alot of praying!!!

tygr2410 03-21-2012 08:22 PM

Was your hemorrhaging enough to require surgery, or were meds enough to stop the bleeding? Was a cause found (like low iron/clotting factors that could be preventing next time)?

I dont' know much about col...can't even spell it lol!

whitneywalters 03-21-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tygr2410 (Post 14838432)
Was your hemorrhaging enough to require surgery, or were meds enough to stop the bleeding? Was a cause found (like low iron/clotting factors that could be preventing next time)?

I dont' know much about col...can't even spell it lol!

I have been doing tons of reading and it most likely was caused from the cholestasis. Some doctors are giving women vitamin K to prevent it. I have a high chance of getting it again with anymore pregnancies. I have also had SPD the last two pregnancies.

It took five meds and a d&c by hand to stop the bleeding. I had a blood transfusion and it took 11 wks for the bleeding to stop. I ended up having retained placenta after all that and it took me months to feel normal again.

AmandaR 03-21-2012 09:48 PM

I just had a very complicated pregnancy (PTL, clotting issues, placental issues, SCH, cord flow issues, growth issues, HELLP) that ended in a 31 week preemie (who is thriving now at 9 weeks old; and I had very easy delivery and recovery and was back to normal at about 1 week pp). I wouldn't have another child. I would have loved another, but I don't feel comfortable risking my life to do so, or risking have another preemie (likely a much earlier one than this time). Some days I feel totally at peace with that and some days it's really hard to cope.

3lilbubs 03-21-2012 10:10 PM

I bled out after having ds #3, a very complicated cesarean that resulted in me going back into the OR for another two hours after 20 min in recovery triage where I soaked the bed in my blood and nearly passed out. The last reading I remember seeing was where my bp was like 65/40 and I told the nurse "hey I'm sorry to bother you but I feel really dizzy and nauseated.... Honestly dh and I were scared to death to have another. Ds #4 was a oops, a BIG one. We imagined and prepared for the worst but I had a great doctor and an easy delivery. There were issues with the baby afterward but my surgery was as straightforward and unremarkable as could be.

So you know that Cholestasis will most likely reoccur. Can you tolerate that? Hemorrhaging, it depends on the reason. If your doctor or midwife is aware of the potential for it or if it was caused by an isolated event like a retained placenta that can be controlled as well.

I think it's all about being prepared for what may come and having information instead of being afraid of the what ifs. When I found out I was pregnant I told my new OB the whole horrible story of my ds#3's birth and we came up with a plan for my safety and the baby's safety that would prepare everyone for a high risk situation. Thankfully it didn't happen but I'm so grateful for the peace of mind that gave me. Every pregnancy and birth of mine has been as unique and individual as the baby that followed. You need to know all of your options and all the risks before you decide either way. Good luck!

songbird516 03-22-2012 06:49 AM

There are a lot of issues that cab be prevented or minimized by diet- making sure that your body is extremely nourished before conception. I'm not blaming you for anything that happened, but if I had a very difficult pregnancy I would take a few years, probably do the GAPS diet to heal any inderlying immune issues and undernourishment issues that might affect the outcome/risks of another pregnancy. before trying to have another baby.
My mother faced this choice and after two difficult pregnancies, she decided to not have any more children. I respect her decision as a responsible one.

andyoly82 03-22-2012 07:39 AM

With my first child (adopted as I was very young) I developed Pre ecclampsia which turned into full blown ecclampsia and toxemia at 32 weeks. I had seizures during delivery (vagional in my a dorm room

andyoly82 03-22-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyoly82
With my first child (adopted as I was very young) I developed Pre ecclampsia which turned into full blown ecclampsia and toxemia at 32 weeks. I had seizures during delivery (vagional in my a dorm room

Oops.. Hit send on my phone too early...

Cont.. I did not completely deliver the placenta, had surgery to stop the hemorrhage, 3 blood transfusions, was in a coma for a week, had kidney and liver failure and was on a ventilator. The baby was just fine btw. I recovered quite quickly after I awoke. I was not planning in more children.

Fast forward to 10 years later I'm pregnant with DS. I was extremely healthy, in the army and followed the Brewers diet to the letter. This did not work (diet does not work for everyone. It's not a cure) I developed severe Pre e and delivered my son via induction at 35 weeks 5 days. He was big for this gestation weighing in at 6lbs 4 oz and did beautifully. Today I am 18 weeks pregnant with our 2nd DS and I am showing no signs of Pre e or toxemia. I eat healthy foods but follow no particular diet and I walk regularly with DS. I plan on one more after this. DH and I are both in the medical field and I trust my OB completely (with my life). My condition can be regulated and I know all the warning signs for my body. I'm not afraid to speak up. Now my risk of getting sick this time are greatly reduced because my two DS share the same father and my pregnancies are close together.

Your heart will let you know what is best for you mama.