Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Leaving a nursing toddler for nearly a week (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1370401)

mrosehughes 03-21-2012 09:30 PM

Leaving a nursing toddler for nearly a week

I posted in weaning support a few weeks ago because I thought DS was almost finished nursing (he's 29 months), but I was clearly wrong because he's been asking to nurse more frequently and longer the past few weeks.

So my problem is that I have two trips coming up for work and I'm not sure what to do. The first is one night and day. DS would normally just nurse twice during that one, so I'm thinking of just not doing anything (ie no pumping) for that trip. The second is the one I'm worried about: I'm leaving Monday and coming back Friday. I'm afraid if I don't pump I'll be pretty uncomfortable by the second day. But the last time I tried pumping (nearly a year ago at this point, when I was out of town for two nights), it basically did very little.

So, I could do cabbage leaves or something but then if DS wants to nurse when I get back it might mess that up. WWYD?

Connor 03-21-2012 11:07 PM

If it were me I would hand express. For one to keep up supply, and not to get plugged ducts, engorgement, mastitis, etc. 5 days is a LONG time to go without nursing or pumping. It could definitely cause some issues.

alioberg 03-22-2012 06:29 PM

Re: Leaving a nursing toddler for nearly a week

I have a friend who swears by the hand held manual breastpump. She didn't produce well for an electric one so she got it just for relief on the occasional night out and ended up using it regularly. It might be worth trying, especially after showering.

cody82414 03-22-2012 06:32 PM

I too suggest the hand expressing while you are away.

Get in a warm shower
and just alleviate enough pressure for you to be comfortable.

mrosehughes 03-22-2012 08:38 PM

I have a freestyle that worked great for me when DS was an infant, but like I said in my op, it just didn't work well for me last time I was away. Hand expression is what I resorted to last time, but I am pretty lousy at it, and last time was much shorter. My sis has my ameda hand pump; maybe I'll bring that.

This would be a bit easier if he had weaned like I thought he was going to, but he still clearly wants to nurse so I'm hesitant to force him.

ilovelabello 03-25-2012 12:12 AM

I think at this point hand expressing would be best. I think you can look up videos on how to do it if you havent done it before.

blastomom 03-26-2012 08:06 PM

Hand expressing in a warm shower worked for me when I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I'm not a very good at it either, but I was able to do just enough, morning and evening, to keep myself comfortable for the 10 days I was gone. At that point I had nursed DS#1 for two years and then DS#2 for another 18mos so my supply re-established quickly once I returned home.