Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Advice for calming down during a CS? UPDATE in post #19! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371211)

ashersmomoo 03-23-2012 05:47 PM

Advice for calming down during a CS? UPDATE in post #19!

No horror stories, please! I have my own and I really just can't go there right now! I really just need positive and calming advice. :goodvibes:

So my 1st was traumatic for me and my second was planned (I tried for a VBAC, but never went into labor, like even a little bit), BUT I lost it on the table. Total anxiety attack. I did Councelling prior, I had the perfect support team, I should have been fine, but I seriously just lost it. :cry:

Anyway, do you have any advice on ways to stay calm during the surgery? I really just want a calm, happy surgery. My CS is in one week. I don't want to be scared, I want to feel in control. I would love to hear what helped you! Thanks!!

png_lovebirds 03-23-2012 06:37 PM

Re: Advice for calming down during a CS?

I just had my 5th and what works for me is keeping my eyes closed until the baby is about to come out! I focus on taking deep breaths and my DH's hand rubbing mine! So far I haven't had any anxiety during my Csections! :)

ashersmomoo 03-23-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by png_lovebirds
I just had my 5th and what works for me is keeping my eyes closed until the baby is about to come out! I focus on taking deep breaths and my DH's hand rubbing mine! So far I haven't had any anxiety during my Csections! :)

Oh! I like that! I think part of the problem is the OR, so that may really help. Thanks!!!!

lindsaymoo 03-23-2012 08:03 PM

I was super nervous before and durring my planed cs with my twins. The OR totaly set of a pnic attack for me too, even though I was about as prepared as humanly possible of what was going to happen. It was not a good situation, but I'll spare you the details. However, the thing that helped me the most was the anticipation of finding out the gender of the twins. I just kept trying to clear my mind and focus on waiting for those three words, well six words I guess LOL. The first was a boy btw, which I had "known" all allong. The second was a girl. In my gut I think I knew that She was a girl, but I convinced myself that it was two boys because one of each would be too good to be true. Not that I would have minded two boys, but we struggled for years with infertility and the chances of us having more kids is very low, so to get to see both worlds was nice. Anyway, i knew that whatever the gender I was in for a happy surprise, so I tried to focus on the excitement rather than the fear. Congrats on your new addition!

leila03ash 03-23-2012 08:13 PM

I've never had a CS but are you allowed to listen to music? I would think the noise of the OR would make me crazy. Maybe DH rubbing my hand plus tuning out with headphones in my ears would help. But like I said, I'm not sure if it is allowed. ;)

lindsaymoo 03-23-2012 08:18 PM

Ya know, I did think of that before my cs. They said I could, but I was afraid I'd miss the babies crying. I didn't trust DH to remeber to tell me to turn down the volume in time!

smilewithme 03-23-2012 08:20 PM

I talked to the nurse anesthesist the entire time....

tusheez 03-23-2012 08:21 PM

My 1st was all natural then when I was in labor with DD they said we are gonna have to do a c-section. I looked at my DH and my mom. They said they could see me freak inside and they said hey guess what your gonna see your baby girl in a few minutes. Thats all it took. Thats all I could think about! I remember laying there and listening to the doctor talking to me from the other side of the sheet and I couldnt wait for the other kids to see their baby sister

mysticmomma1879 03-23-2012 08:56 PM

Hypnobabies is good foe c section mamas too.

raisingcropsandbabies 03-24-2012 04:04 AM

I make a c-section play list and have it playing in the OR. Lots of my favorite music... I close my eyes and just focus on the songs and sing them in my head. It really soothes me and then I think that the baby enjoys it too as it's born hearing familiar songs. I've had music during all 3 of my c-sections and I love hearing a song and thinking, "Oh, so and so was born during this song!" I just asked my OB if we could and he said definitely... surgeons usually have music playing during surgeries where the patient is under anesthesia so why not awake! They don't turn it up super loud because they have to talk to each other and whatnot... it's just in the background... keeping me calm. :)

Before they start playing my music and I'm in there by myself getting prepped, I ask the team to talk to me until my music is on. So they make small talk with me to help calm my nerves.

I close my eyes just about the whole c-section. I do not look at my husband because then I start crying (don't know why!). It helps to close my eyes though...

((hugs)) mama. Good luck to you!