Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What spontaneous things do you do with/for your kids? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371555)

cobbermama 03-24-2012 07:03 PM

What spontaneous things do you do with/for your kids?

Talking with a friend the other day about the fun of sometimes being a spontaneous mommy. What's your favorite spontaneous mommy thing you've done? :)

Celeste 03-24-2012 07:13 PM

I think what we've all enjoyed most is when we pick Ava up from preschool & go to the beach. Its not totally spontaneous because I have to pack a bag & do sunscreen & all that, but it's about as last minute as it can be. They also love it when we go out for ice cream...thats a little easier to do last minute.

cobbermama 03-24-2012 07:44 PM

Fun!! My DD is only six months, but one of the things I said when we were chatting was that I can't wait to surprise her with random ice cream after day care. :)

ashersmomoo 03-24-2012 07:44 PM

Re: What spontaneous things do you do with/for your kids?

My ODS has Aspergers and so we don't get to be spontaneous. Even for fun things, it's just too hard for him. :( But DS2 and I sometimes do spontaneous things. Not often, but we like to go out to lunch and to the zoo. :goodvibes: DS2 is very social and always up for anything. He loves to go out! :)

swingkid1975 03-24-2012 07:48 PM

One night I asked DD which of two meals (pork chops or pancakes) she wanted for dinner that night. She said "Neither. I want waffles." So we hopped in the car and went to IHOP for dinner.

tallanvor 03-24-2012 08:28 PM

I don't know. A few months ago I actually budgeted the money to take the kids to the kovies and get popcorn and soda. Not exactly spontaneous, since I had to budget it in, but the kids didn't know until that day that we were going to go. They loved it because we virtually never go to the movies.

Another great thing my kids love is going to the book store -- Barnes and Noble or the used book store.

hullabal98 03-24-2012 10:06 PM

park when nice outside, indoor pool at our ymca when it isn't. playdoh on our back patio for an hour one day (I played too) - it was just so nice to watch my 1 yo and 3 yo interact and create. get up and dance around the house!

steely_cass 03-24-2012 10:12 PM

My favorites are donut Saturdays, or randomly stopping cleaning the kitchen after dinner to go get ice cream.

We've gone to the aquarium and zoo as a surprise too. For most if this, I know it's going to happen, but I think adding the element if surprise makes it even better for DD.

jessicap 03-24-2012 10:13 PM

Most activities outside of our homeschooling and regular activities for the week are spontaneous according to the children. I find that it is easier to not tell them where or what we are doing until right before we leave or until we arrive because if for whatever reason it falls through, they have no idea they missed out on something. If it goes through, then no bigs, they are super stoked and feel suprised! :)

Pyrodjm 03-24-2012 10:54 PM

playground
surprise visits to my parents
buying icees/ice cream cones
baking cupcakes