Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone make their own nut milks ( hemp, almond)?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371694)

vjbakke 03-25-2012 09:15 AM

Anyone make their own nut milks ( hemp, almond)??

I have been watching videos on this and it seems pretty easy and money saving. Also it is raw and not pasteurized or heated like the almond and hemp milk you buy in the store. What are your fave nut milk recipes? Best sources for buying the raw nuts?

Leocaligirl 03-25-2012 06:53 PM

Re: Anyone make their own nut milks ( hemp, almond)??

I used to make my own Almond milk. I would get my "Truly Raw" Almonds shipped directly from the farm. I can't remember the name. I will try it and remember and get back to you. It was a very time consuming process. I would soak my almonds then blend them in my Vitamix, strain then dry out the "Almond meal".

I did not save $ making my own but it was more nutritious and I could them bake with the leftover meal. So in that sense it is cheaper.

I do not have as much time so I make coconut milk which is a much easier process for me.

vjbakke 03-26-2012 05:37 PM

Thanks, I made hemp milk but the flavor is not what I was expecting. I want to try almonds, but we don't have a high power blender or juicer.

Leocaligirl 03-27-2012 04:26 PM

I have noticed the high powered blender is key. I tried making the almond milk before I had it in my magic bullet and it is just not the same. Still can not remember the name of the almond farm. I get emails from them periodically. I will let you know when I either remember or get and email, whichever comes first. :giggle2: Also Azure Standard has a great price on Raw Almonds if you can use them.

tandiwe76 03-28-2012 08:42 AM

One source for raw almonds is Big Tree Farms. I believe they came in 25-50# boxes, which sounds like a lot, but depends on how much almond milk you're making.

I agree that the high speed blender like a vitamix or blendtec/champ is essential. Otherwise you won't get as thick or creamy of a milk. Another option I never tried was grinding in a Champion, maybe then use any blender to mix with water? Anyone tried this?

The pulp can be mixed up with yummy stuff to make delicious dehydrated cookies. We mixed the pulp with blended dates, some raisins, coconut, and vanilla to make light crunchy cookies like macaroons. Or mix with carrot cake ingredients for a cooked or dehydrated carrot cake.

We get raw almond butter in bulk from Artisana, and this made me think of maybe blending the raw butter with water to make a milk....hmmm

vjbakke 03-28-2012 11:01 AM

Thanks, we do order from Azure, I was just looking at the raw nuts they have. I think I will be saving up for a new blender.

shortcake2386 03-28-2012 11:11 AM

we make our own almond milk