Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   building a freezer stash (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371729)

wyoming butterfly 03-25-2012 11:06 AM

How do you build a freezer stash without causing oversupply issues? DS2 is just over a week old. I would like to build a freezer stash so DH and I can have a date night sometimes. Not thinking any time soon but he eats like DS1 so I will need a good freezer stash for when we go out. Any tips would be helpful thanks

steaniepie 03-25-2012 11:34 AM

Re: building a freezer stash

I ave an over supply and it is not a problem for me. I work and pump more at one sitting hat she takes at one time. I don't usually pump unless I'm at work. I like the security of having a freezer stash. I take an herbal supplement by vitamin a to boost my supply.

AnimalHouse 03-25-2012 11:39 AM

I would wait until 6-8 weeks, when your supply is more regulated, before pumping. After that, I would just pump a little between feedings. Not enough to "empty" your breasts, maybe just a few ounces.

mibarra 03-25-2012 12:26 PM

Wait until 4-6 weeks. I start buy pumping while they nap, or right after bed, just to get a little, and slowly save up. Then we do 1 bottle a day while I pump. Since mine only nurse one side, I usually get more than they eat so I can save it :)

mamIIboys 03-25-2012 03:49 PM

Like pp I wait until LOs are 6+ weeks & then pump the side LO doesn't nurse in the in the morning while LO nurses. My LOs typically only nurse 1 side at a time unless going through a growth spurtso this works or me. This take advantage of having a greater milk supply in AM & the natural let down from LO.

e_roehm23 03-25-2012 07:21 PM

Hmmm, I've never heard of waiting until 4-6 weeks, but that's just me. I always pump right after my first nursing in the am. Usually like 6 am or so, because I was always told that's when your body makes the most milk (early in the morning) Anyway, I usually pump first thing and get about 2-3 oz in the first couple months, then 5-7+ oz in the later months.

lilmomma83 03-25-2012 08:28 PM

I would just pump once each morning...your supply should be a bit higher at that point and your body will just know to make extra milk then but a regular amount throughout the day. It worked really well for me to do that and I got a pretty big stash from it :-)

Connor 03-25-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_roehm23
Hmmm, I've never heard of waiting until 4-6 weeks, but that's just me. I always pump right after my first nursing in the am. Usually like 6 am or so, because I was always told that's when your body makes the most milk (early in the morning) Anyway, I usually pump first thing and get about 2-3 oz in the first couple months, then 5-7+ oz in the later months.

Agreed.

GEMQEMCABOOSE 03-27-2012 10:32 PM

I pumped after my first morning feeding with all my guys, consistently for 6 months or so. I always tried to pump after one more feeding throughout the day also. I was able to have 600oz on hand here and donate additional milk to two friends.

JulieHyphenAnn 03-29-2012 04:25 PM

Just try pumping a bit immediately after any feeding. That way you're already "in the flow" and it's not as hard to get going.