Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newbie Questions.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371793)

MyKzooFamily 03-25-2012 03:00 PM

Newbie Questions..

I'm new to breastfeeding, but SO glad I am sticking with it this time instead of giving up early and switching to formula. Luckily DD hates formula (even soy), and might have a milk allergy, so I'm pretty much suckered into EBF'ing. And she smiles after every nursing session, so who could say 'no' to that?! :wub:

1. When your nipples get that pin-prickle feeling, that means I'm engorged, right? It happens every hour, or every 2 hours, and at that time my boobs are usually pretty hard, but sometimes not at all, so I'm assuming that means I'm engorged?

2. I noticed when DD latches and sucks for 1-2 seconds, the milk 'lets down' on both sides. I just got a Milkies Milk-Saver and was amazed how much milk leaks from the other side during the let down. Is this normal? Do other moms just have the breast pads soak up the milk from the other side?

3. How do I know when my boobs are empty? I can tell when she first starts eating she is getting milk. Her sucks are long and slow, and she gulps after. But then the sucks pick up, and are more intense, and if it starts hurting I unlatch her and switch sides. From how hard and fast she is sucking I'm assuming there is nothing there and she is trying to get more. How do I know when there is nothing left? Or when I should switch sides?

4. Is it possible to be engorged every feeding at night, but not have enough milk during the day? During the day many times she will nurse, both sides, and then still be hungry. She fusses, and 'searches', but I JUST nursed her. I try to do the paci and burp her again (in case she is fussy from gas), but I don't know why she's still hungry. Could it be because I drink all day (and get good supply at night), but because I don't drink at night, my supply is low during the day?

5. How much do babies need to be 'burped' after nursing? Or do they? I noticed with bottles, she has huge burps, and gets an upset tummy easily. But after nursing, sometimes she doesn't burp at all.

6. Is soreness normal? All the time? I know my nipples can be sore all the time, but my boob itself all the way around is pretty sore. Normal?

Thanks! :goodvibes:

luvof3boyz 03-25-2012 05:31 PM

Re: Newbie Questions..

How old is your baby? Oh wait I see she is just about 2 weeks. Engorgment is that very "full" feeling. Your breasts may get hard and feel like they might burst. The pin pricky feeling is something I would get when I hear my baby cry or it is close to a feeding. It can even happen just talking about my baby. I usually leak at that time.

Yes very normal to have both sides let down at this stage. Your milk is not mature yet and your body is really adjusting. That went away for me after a couple months or so.

You will know when it time to switch sides by your baby slowing down or falling asleep at the breast. If this is your first time nursing this can be 10-20 minutes per side. Once she is older it won't take her that long to "empty" a breast. You know she is getting enough by her 7-10 wets diapers a day. Is she pooping? Then she is getting the good fatty hindmilk that comes after the foremilk. Your milk supply will be its lowest in the evenings. You make your milk at night. Are you thirsty at night? If not you must be getting enough liquids during the day. I drink A lOT at night. I am always so thirsty but I am chasing to older boys during the day so I may not get enough water. Newborns are fussy and it may not mean that she is hungary. It took me 3 kids to learn that most of the time it was not hungar but tiredness. I was always offering the breast when really he just wanted to sleep! Again if the wet diapers are adequate then your baby is getting enough. That is the #1 mind game mamas play with themselves. Is my baby getting enough?

All babies are different on the burping. My first 2 never burped. #3 needed to burp. Breastfed babies burp less then formula fed babies because they intake less air. If after a few minutes of trying you don't get one then forget it. If you lay her down and she is fussy then she may need to burp. My ds made a special fuss if he needed a burp.

Soreness is very normal. Did they check the latch? If they did and it is good then fear not it gets better. Is it toe curling when she latches on? Normal.

I hope I answered some of your questions. Good for you. I have been a nursing mom for over 5 years. Some of the most special memories I have. It is worth it. Blessings to you and your new baby girl.

Connor 03-25-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily
I'm new to breastfeeding, but SO glad I am sticking with it this time instead of giving up early and switching to formula. Luckily DD hates formula (even soy), and might have a milk allergy, so I'm pretty much suckered into EBF'ing. And she smiles after every nursing session, so who could say 'no' to that?! :wub:

1. When your nipples get that pin-prickle feeling, that means I'm engorged, right? It happens every hour, or every 2 hours, and at that time my boobs are usually pretty hard, but sometimes not at all, so I'm assuming that means I'm engorged?

2. I noticed when DD latches and sucks for 1-2 seconds, the milk 'lets down' on both sides. I just got a Milkies Milk-Saver and was amazed how much milk leaks from the other side during the let down. Is this normal? Do other moms just have the breast pads soak up the milk from the other side?

3. How do I know when my boobs are empty? I can tell when she first starts eating she is getting milk. Her sucks are long and slow, and she gulps after. But then the sucks pick up, and are more intense, and if it starts hurting I unlatch her and switch sides. From how hard and fast she is sucking I'm assuming there is nothing there and she is trying to get more. How do I know when there is nothing left? Or when I should switch sides?

4. Is it possible to be engorged every feeding at night, but not have enough milk during the day? During the day many times she will nurse, both sides, and then still be hungry. She fusses, and 'searches', but I JUST nursed her. I try to do the paci and burp her again (in case she is fussy from gas), but I don't know why she's still hungry. Could it be because I drink all day (and get good supply at night), but because I don't drink at night, my supply is low during the day?

5. How much do babies need to be 'burped' after nursing? Or do they? I noticed with bottles, she has huge burps, and gets an upset tummy easily. But after nursing, sometimes she doesn't burp at all.

6. Is soreness normal? All the time? I know my nipples can be sore all the time, but my boob itself all the way around is pretty sore. Normal?

Thanks! :goodvibes:

The prickly feeling is most likely let down. You can have that feeling even while you aren't nursing.

It's normal to leak from the other side while nursing. Some women use breast pads. Nothing wrong with saving that milk though. Just know that it's probably foremilk.

You can let her nurse on one side until she comes off on her own. When she starts sucking fast again she is trying to trigger another let down. Your breasts are never truly empty, but should feel lighter/softer after a feeding. With you leaking lots of milk I doubt you have a supply issue, at least not low supply :giggle:

Engorgement can make your whole breast sore. That's normal. How often is she nursing at night? When your breasts get really full, to the point of soreness you need to either nurse or hand express just enough milk to relieve the discomfort.

No, your nipples should not be sore all the time. Soreness during the first week or so may be normal but you should notice major improvement by now. Make sure she's latched on nice and deep and has a lot of the areola in her mouth. Rub some breastmilk on those nipples :D

I would try burping before switching to the other side and again once she's finished.

As long as she's having 5-7 wet dipes a day and 4 poopy dipes you're good :thumbsup:

You mentioned formula. Can I ask why you supplemented with formula? Be careful because formula can and will affect your supply.

Good for you for sticking it out this time :)

MyKzooFamily 03-25-2012 08:58 PM

Thanks for the awesome posts!! :D

I had to supplement with formula because DD had jaundice and the DR wanted to flush it out right after birth. My milk wasn't in yet, so we had to use formula. Since then, I've only been using the formula when she is done nursing and still seems hungry.

I'm SO glad you mentioned the difference in milk. Formilk and hindmilk. I had NO idea there were differences. One HUGE concern I have is her poopy diapers. She only has about 1 per day. Sometimes none, and it worries me. Sometimes 2. I just feel like it's not enough at all. And she seems constipated sometimes.

Am I not letting her nurse long enough? I just nursed on each side, but she still seems hungry. My boobs are STILL sore on the sides, does this mean I still have more milk she should be drinking? Maybe I should NOT be unlatching her until SHE does? And if she does, and it doesn't seem long enough, try to relatch her?

What tips do you have for a proper latch? I know that the lips are supposed to be out, and she should have as much of the areola in her mouth as possible. I think I need to look up some information on proper holds, and good latches.

luvof3boyz 03-25-2012 09:09 PM

How long is she nursing on each side? How much formula does she take after you have nursed her on each side?

Connor 03-25-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily
Thanks for the awesome posts!! :D

I had to supplement with formula because DD had jaundice and the DR wanted to flush it out right after birth. My milk wasn't in yet, so we had to use formula. Since then, I've only been using the formula when she is done nursing and still seems hungry.

I'm SO glad you mentioned the difference in milk. Formilk and hindmilk. I had NO idea there were differences. One HUGE concern I have is her poopy diapers. She only has about 1 per day. Sometimes none, and it worries me. Sometimes 2. I just feel like it's not enough at all. And she seems constipated sometimes.

Am I not letting her nurse long enough? I just nursed on each side, but she still seems hungry. My boobs are STILL sore on the sides, does this mean I still have more milk she should be drinking? Maybe I should NOT be unlatching her until SHE does? And if she does, and it doesn't seem long enough, try to relatch her?

What tips do you have for a proper latch? I know that the lips are supposed to be out, and she should have as much of the areola in her mouth as possible. I think I need to look up some information on proper holds, and good latches.

I would let her nurse as long and as much as she'd like.
You can think of every oz of formula she gets, that's one less oz you will produce. I would definitely recommend cutting the formula completely. How big is the one poopy diaper? By definition, one poopy diaper is equal to the size of 25. So 4 quarters/a dollar bill size is what you look for in one day. If that's all in one diaper it's totally fine :)

Also, bm digests much faster than formula and colostrum acts as a laxative for a newborn to pass all that meconium. It's much better for a jaundice baby to nurse than to receive formula. :)

Michelle_M 03-25-2012 11:13 PM

Sometimes my nipples would tingle when it was feeding time. If you are engorged then your breasts will feel hard, almost like rocks and may be painful. When this happens you'll need to express a little bit of milk out in order for your baby to get a good latch. Otherwise it'll be like trying to get a latch on a baseball. Pretty tough.

This is normal. You can use the milk savers and then put that milk into a bag to save. When adding milk to that, please remember not to combine milk that is freshly expressed with milk that is already cold. Place the newly expressed milk into the fridge, when it's the same temperature as the bottle/bag already in the fridge, THEN combine them. This will avoid temperature fluctuation that can cause bacterial growth.

Your breasts are never totally empty, but the flow can slow down, which is what is causing your baby to act this way. When she acts like this, it's ok to switch sides.. however, it's important to remember to start the next feeding with the breast she fed from last the previous feeding. Example.. if at 1pm she nurses first on your left side, then on your right side..... her next feeding (let's say 3pm) should START at your right side then switch her to your left. This ensures that she's getting a balanced diet of fore milk (the appetizer) to hindmilk (where the fattier milk is).

Your body will adjust to your baby's needs. What you're experiencing is called "cluster feeding." It's your baby telling your body "Hey, I'm growing, you need to make more milk." Giving a paci or a bottle at this stage will actually harm your milk supply. If you think you aren't making enough milk, or your baby isn't getting enough milk, go see a Lactation Consultant. You can weigh baby, then feed, then weigh again to see just how much milk your baby is drinking. Doing this over a 24 hour to forty eight hour period will give you a great estimation of how much milk your baby is actually getting. The local Lactation Consultant here has a scale that she rents out for $5 a day.

It's normal for many breast fed babies, who have a good latch to not burp after nursing. If the latch is correct, then your baby isn't swallowing any air. It's the air ingested during feeding that causes a lot of burping. None of my boys burped that much after nursing. Occasionally, but it was fairly rare.

This can be normal. Warm compresses help, and expressing some milk out will help if the soreness is due to engorgement. The pain will lessen and eventually go away over the next few weeks. However... if you notice a red spot, or if your breast feels hot to the touch.. or if you see red streaks.. all of these are signs of a clogged duct and / or mastitis and you must get the milk ducts unclogged as soon as possible to avoid mastitis. Once you have mastitis, most people need antibiotics to treat it. But if you get it unclogged before it turns to mastitis, then you'll be good to go.

Good for you for continuing to nurse.
I highly suggest you find a La Leche League meeting nera you. Go to www.llli.org, select the country you're in, then select your city and a list of meetings will pop up for you. The leaders are highly trained and are a great resource!

Good luck mama. Keep up the great work.

God bless!

Michelle_M 03-25-2012 11:15 PM

To other breast feeding people...

I have never heard "You need formula because baby has jaundice."

My first had jaundice when he was born and I nursed him. Doctor never said anything about him needing formula. My milk came in when he was 3 or 4 days old.

Just curious.

God bless!

Connor 03-25-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M
To other breast feeding people...

I have never heard "You need formula because baby has jaundice."

My first had jaundice when he was born and I nursed him. Doctor never said anything about him needing formula. My milk came in when he was 3 or 4 days old.

Just curious.

God bless!

Unfortunately, many times formula is recommended to help a jaundice baby "flush it out", since it's more volume. Most doctors aren't educated about bf and just this short term supplementation can sabotage milk supply and ruin a breastfeeding relationship :(

doulamomma 03-26-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor

Unfortunately, many times formula is recommended to help a jaundice baby "flush it out", since it's more volume. Most doctors aren't educated about bf and just this short term supplementation can sabotage milk supply and ruin a breastfeeding relationship :(

wss

op, google dr jack newman. his site has great imfo especially for latching. there is no set time for how long baby should nurse on each side. let her go until shes done. if she is acting fussy after a feeding I would nurse till she seems to be fine, burp, then place her back on the same side. she may not be getting enough hindmilk. are her poops yellow and seedy or greenish?