Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   baby won't take a bottle (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1372132)

mandymatus 03-26-2012 11:38 AM

baby won't take a bottle

she is 5 1/2 months. technically she'll drink about an ounce, but basically just chews the nipple. :banghead: lc said try a cup, that seems so foreign to me as older dd didn't get one til she was about a year! i'm willing to try though. tips, suggestions?

i am sahm, but need to get out once and awhile :giggle:

Connor 03-26-2012 12:04 PM

You could try a very small cup, kind of like the cups that come on the top of a medicine bottle (like pepto, cough syrup, etc). You would just tip it back so she gets a little at the time. Or you could try one a little bigger, maybe about the size of a shot glass? Or you may just have to try diff types of bottles and nipples until you find one she likes.

mandymatus 03-26-2012 12:08 PM

Re: baby won't take a bottle

thanks for the suggestion! i do hope to find something that would be easy enough to be left with someone and i'm not sure i'd trust many people with a plain ole cup! not to mention i have a 19 month old who climbs all over us during feedings :) haha! i've tried a few different types of bottles. she suggested a sippy type cup with the flow restricter removed. think i'll try after nap time. more suggestions welcome!

amitchell98 03-26-2012 12:22 PM

what kind of bottles have you tried? My kids always did well w/ the First Years Breastflow bottles. Closest thing I could ever find to mom's nipple ;)

greencrunchymama 03-26-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitchell98 (Post 14858023)
what kind of bottles have you tried? My kids always did well w/ the First Years Breastflow bottles. Closest thing I could ever find to mom's nipple ;)

I've heard these are great too. I have heard if you don't get them used to a bottle by 6 weeks they won't take one.

cyanotype 03-26-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencrunchymama

I've heard these are great too. I have heard if you don't get them used to a bottle by 6 weeks they won't take one.

My daughter didn't get a bottle until she was 6 months and we had no issues. My son on the other hand started at 6/8 weeks and would take a bottle until he was 5 months. He will only take the Mumijumi bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

cyanotype 03-26-2012 04:32 PM

I would try a cup or a sippy cup with a straw.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Mac & Cheeses mom 03-26-2012 04:39 PM

Or YDD weaned early. It was about 5m when we switched almost full time to the Advent soft tip cups. She would every few months make me switch the bottles she used up to that point. The Advent sippys are sold with the bottles and have a clear soft nipple/spout. She loved it and was not taking bottles after that.

She also skipped almost all pureed foods and went streight to solids. She is a goof. The fact is each child is different and yours might end up doing things inher own time. I hope this helps.

mandymatus 03-26-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitchell98 (Post 14858023)

i did try this earlier with no luck. tried again today with this bottle and was able to get her to take 2 ounces. (which is twice as much as previously) it seems she is having a hard time latching on. my husband suggested i just keep trying each day. i think this might be key.

what i don't like about these bottles is the way they cave in with suction and looks uncomfortable for baby (had little luck with older dd with these bottles)
am i doing something wrong?

mandymatus 03-26-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greencrunchymama (Post 14858891)

i've heard this as well. lc assured me today that it's not because i waited too long. she said babies that have taken a bottle for months will suddenly refuse! little stinkers!! :giggle: