Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Elevated BP at 40+weeks appt (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1372181)

CountryChicMama 03-26-2012 01:10 PM

Elevated BP at 40+weeks appt

Any tips to getting my blood pressure down while pregnant?? I'm 40 weeks 2 days pregnant, went in today for an OB check and my BP was about 137/87. Not horrible, but not great. Had to have an NST on the baby, which they said was fantastic. I don't feel bad, have very little swelling in my ankles/legs (most of which I attribute to the heat), and no protein in urine, etc. They let me go, said it could be a fluke, but want me back on Friday to check again. Oh, and no dilation what so ever; high and tight. :/ I was 10 days late w/ my second (my VBAC) and I'm so scared that if I don't get my BP back to normal by Friday they may try to induce me. :( Is there anything I can do????

jessicalev8 03-26-2012 01:20 PM

Re: Elevated BP at 40+weeks appt

Stop worrying! That will raise it more. Lay on your left side as much as possible, that will bring it down.

How was your bp during the NST?

jessicalev8 03-26-2012 01:20 PM

Dp

jackyl08 03-26-2012 02:21 PM

Mine was very slightly elevated at 38+2, so they sent me for the NST, then home with instructions to drink lots of water and lay on my left side as much as possible. It did seem to help it, since I went into labor later than night and my bp was perfect when I got there.

champatlife 03-26-2012 03:08 PM

all the suggestions given above (left side, water) and watch sodium intake. Honestly unless your doc is induction happy, with no other symptoms (and a relatively "low" high BP) that won't induce. My last practice my BP would jump all around and up into the 170s (went higher during labor) but they never made me induce. (But I was induced, but thats because I cried about my husband possibly missing the birth)

sillyutalktome 03-26-2012 03:22 PM

Do you know of anything that relaxes you? I had high blood pressure for a few weeks in my pregnancy and started painting (not well, but for fun) and that accompanied with seeing a friend for a few hours really lowered my blood pressure. I was fine at my next appointment and all through delivery. I think the bedrest (for preterm labor) had made me totally stressed, plus I probably wasn't eating very well as dh was working tons.

CountryChicMama 03-26-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicalev8 (Post 14858340)
Stop worrying! That will raise it more. Lay on your left side as much as possible, that will bring it down.

How was your bp during the NST?

I know, I think that's really what happened b/c they took it after the NST and it was 139/88!!

I'm going to try to drink lots of water, stay on my left, take some of my natural mama calm (magnesium supplement) and hope for the best come Friday!! :)

averysmom 03-26-2012 05:06 PM

Also, up your protein intake. If I notice my b/p rising I try to eat a little extra and it usually brings it down. Plus everything that was listed above!!