Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Skin rash help please (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13728)

SheilaJoy 06-12-2006 02:18 PM

Skin rash help please

OK, I don't like taking the kids to the dr unless it's necessary, and I'd rather spend $20 on good skin cream than use it for a co-pay just for my dr to prescribe a steroid cream we wouldn't use anyway. So you mamas please help.

DS occasionally gets this rash that flares up on his skin. He naturally has dry skin, but today he's totally broken out worse than I've seen before. It's tiny red bumps all over that seem to itch. They're most concentrated around the insides of his arms (crook), but also on his tummy and upper thighs.

He also has it just a little bit around his right eye! I would post a pic except the laptop is broken, and I'm using an ancient computer right now without the digital camera hookups. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be and what I could use on it? I'm looking for natural/homeopathic stuff, not cortisone.

SheilaJoy 06-12-2006 07:29 PM

Re: Skin rash help please

:anyone: :please:

Moo&LaLasMomma 06-12-2006 07:52 PM

I am waiting a response on this w.you ... have a similar problem

SheilaJoy 06-13-2006 10:58 AM

Well, maybe we can discuss it amongst ourselves since no one else is responding.

I went online looking up skin rashes. Eczema is the most common recurring skin rash that I can find. Does yours go away and then flare up again? This is what ds's does, and I thought he just had really dry skin before, but now it's definitely a rash, and it does resemble some of the pics I've seen of eczema.

I'm thinking of trying Florasone, which is a natural skin cream.

geckoed 06-13-2006 11:25 AM

eczema does ebb and flow. Try olive oil on it or shortening. Being natural those absorb nicely and don't irritate it or block it up.

Audriannasmommy 06-13-2006 11:39 AM

whats the weather like.It sounds exactly like what Audrianna gets which we thought was eczema turned out just heat rash. we have ac in almost every room in the house cause it would get so bad you could barely see skin mostly in her body creases. Run out and get some aveeno oatmeal bath it should be in a box wanna say 8.00 its meant for rashes works great if its heat rash cool water will help. If i had the packets left i would send some the aveeno lotion for excema should work also

SheilaJoy 06-13-2006 03:04 PM

It's actually pretty chilly here still, so that's not it. I think I will try an oatmeal bath, though, that sounds like a good idea. Maybe some cornstarch in the bath? I think I heard somewhere that helps.

BTW, I finally got your stuff mailed. :blush: :mrgreen:

Audriannasmommy 06-13-2006 05:39 PM

I believe the aveeno oatmeal bath has cornstarch in it

MamaLove 06-13-2006 06:17 PM

Sounds like eczema since it's usually dry and itchy, but could be an allergic reaction. If nothing else works, You may want to try stopping the commen allergens (eggs, peanuts, diary, soy, wheat, and meat).

Here's the homeopathic and herbal remedies I know of for rashes:

~Florasone...I've heard it works fast!
~Aloe vera gel, calendula, nettles (urtica), comfrey leaf, chamomile, elder flower, and tea tree oil can be used externally as a soothing wash.
~Oat straw baths reduce inflammation and itching.
~Sulpher 30c, Urtica 30c, and Rhus Tox 30c...They are all good for red, itchy rashes, and I'll check back with the specific symptoms for each of these when I have my book.

:hugs: I hope it goes away quick. I know how hard rashes are to deal with because it's hard to find the cause. Once you find it, it'll go away fast. Best wishes, mama. :hugs: