Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   18-week vertigo (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1374988)

1healthylady 04-02-2012 06:11 AM

18-week vertigo

I've had a wonderful pregnancy, hardly any nausea in first tri, and just feeling great in general. Until last week when I started getting these terrible dizzy spells. I'm used to lightheadedness, I've gotten that since I was a teen, but this is different. With this I feel really drunk, like I can't focus on anything because the room is spinning so fast and I feel nauseous. Plus I get sweaty and clammy. After 4 of these episodes in just a few days, and the nurse at my MW office not wanting to see me til today (I called Friday), I went to urgent care. My BP was 106/48 and I was slightly dehydrated. The 'episodes' take 30 minutes at least to recover from, and the last 3 days now I've been waking up dizzy. I'm supposed to play in our church cantata Thursday night, but practicing the English Horn last night brought on another dizzy spell. :( I go in to the MW this morning, but thought I'd check with you all as well. Does this seem normal? I know dizziness is supposed to happen around this time, but i wasn't expecting it to be this bad. Tell me about your dizzy experiences.

mamanorsby 04-02-2012 07:23 AM

I get this too, although I'm further along (31 weeks). For me, is a combo of low BP, low blood sugar, and anemia. I find eating every 2 hrs w a combo of protein and carbs, avoiding junk food, and taking an iron supplement help. Also, laying on my left side can help. And lots of water. Although nothing has really been a magic bullet for me in terms of keeping the spells away, so I'd love to hear from other mamas!

SeaChellsRun 04-03-2012 08:28 PM

Re: 18-week vertigo

I've found that chiropractic really helps with vertigo and if you do some research you find it's something going on with the inner ear. I'm mainly get vertigo on flights and if I get adjusted before my flight I'm ok, otherwise I better have a sickie bag jic!

jaks 04-06-2012 12:36 PM

I've had this problem off and on throughout my entire pregnancy, and (like you) I actually have dizzy spells sometimes even when I'm not pregnant. I have talked to my doctor a lot and she said that it could be a lot of things.

First your circulatory system is doing all sorts of weird things (blood flow increases to the uterus which means less for you, many blood vessels dialate). Also, your blood sugar is rocketing around a lot more than normal and it is easy to get really dehydrated. I may have had more dizzy spells than a lot of people because I was close to having gestational diabetes...(I failed the first glucose test but passed the 3 hr test.)

She suggested I try to eat a significant amount of protein at every meal to keep my blood sugar stable and hydrate constantly. That has cut down on a lot of my dizzy spells although they have not completely gone away. I also have had to re-adjust what I am eating and drinking periodically throughout the pregnancy...I feel that as soon as I figure out what is happening, something changes and gets out of whack again. (I'm 31 weeks now.)

Keep talking to your doctor, but the protein and constant hydration might help you. Sounds like you know some of that already, but you're not alone :)

1healthylady 04-07-2012 05:34 AM

Thanks for the support ladies. It's good to know I'm not alone and not as crazy as I thought! The MW wasn't really concerned at all and said it could just be pregnancy hormones, and like morning sickness, some women get it worse than others. I haven't had a really bad spell since Sunday night, just a couple of my normal light-headed spells. I'm totally fine with that. I can't imagine i was THAT dehydrated, but drinking 100-120oz of water plus 24oz of Gatorade mid-day might be what's making the difference. That seems like so much drinking!! Nothing really has changed in my diet since I ate really well before, I just have to be more aware of getting protein almost everytime I snack.