Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Big Baby Concerns (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1375403)

mamaspice 04-02-2012 09:12 PM

Big Baby Concerns

Can a breastfed baby gain weight too quicky?

My DD was 21.5 lbs at 6 months, meaning that she is off the growth charts for weight, above the 95th percentile. She is slightly above average for head circumference and height. She was 8 lbs 7 oz at birth.

I have been feeding on demand, usually every 2.5-3 hrs and sometimes for comfort or before naps, and haven't been concerned, (In fact I've been pleased) but my dr today seemed like it was something to keep an eye on.

She suggested trying to stretch her feedings to 3-4 hrs, not nurse for comfort, and engouraging her to fully empty breast so that she wasn't carb-binging on the foremilk and not getting enough fat to sustain her. (I usually only nurse on one side per feeding)

I think these are reasonable suggestions, but are they necessary? I am feeling worried and unsure about her weight where I wasn't before. Any thoughts?

We have barely started introducing veggies, so I don't consider solids as much of a factor. Also, she is not yet crawling.

Thanks!

lilmomma83 04-02-2012 09:16 PM

Re: Big Baby Concerns

My older 2 both thinned out some when they started crawling. My little sister was EBF until close to a year and was HUGE. At 12 months, my mom was told to put her on a diet...my mom didn't and just continued to breastfeed. MY sister is 18 now, and very slender ;-)

RunawayBunny 04-02-2012 09:23 PM

If it were my child i would not change anything. Sounds to me like you are doing great!

palsmama 04-02-2012 09:40 PM

You can't over feed a strictly bf'd baby. Sounds like you just have a higher fat content than some other mamas. Get this, at 6 month my friends baby was almost 30 lbs. he was exclusively bf'd. No bottles ever. He was in 2T clothing! He is two now and hasn't gained much. He actually had lost a tad. Everyone's breast milk is different. Your baby sounds perfect and healthy! Keep it up! Your milk has everything your baby need for brain and physical growth!

me_just_me 04-02-2012 09:50 PM

My babies were both big and EBF. My friends even joked about my milk being all cream :giggle2: I just had a very good supply and my babies got a lot of milk! They both started to come down on the growth chart after 6 months, once they started moving.

I wouldn't be too worried! Sounds like you are feeding her just right!

jackyl08 04-02-2012 10:27 PM

My guy was 7lbs 10oz at birth and was gaining 2oz per day for the first twoish mths. He was 19.5lbs at 6mths. He really started slowing down on weight gain when he started rolling all over(he really gets around FAST) and is only 21-22lbs at 8mths. He has only ever nursed one side at a time. He eats very few solids, nothing consistent. Our doctor said he's just perfect. I would not change a thing!

jaelynsmommy61607 04-02-2012 10:34 PM

I wouldn't change a thing. My Ds was big. He was 22 lbs at 9 months. He started crawling at 5 months tho so I think it slowed his weight gain down. We bf on demand until he was 17 months. He's now 25 months and only 31lbs.

mamaspice 04-02-2012 10:48 PM

Thank you, I needed some reassurance!

Trey&Shae 04-02-2012 10:49 PM

i agree with what everyone has already said. my ds was 10.5 when he was born and now at 6 months is 26 lbs! we just started a bit of veggies in the past 2 weeks. he's been ebf since he was born. our dr said he was overweight at his 4 month appt, but i pointed out that he's also "over height" as well and is just a big healthy baby. sounds like that's what you have too is a big, healthy baby! keep up the good work!

mamaspice 04-03-2012 12:50 AM

The more I think about it, the more affirmed I am to not try to control her intake or to worry that there is something wrong with her. She is healthy and happy and beautiful and perfect, and I think she has the instincts to know what she needs and grow on her own schedule. And it would be against my instincts not to nurse her when she wants to.

It is strange how I would let someone shake up such a deeply held belief, even someone who's professional opinion I respect.

Thanks for all of your comments!