Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Detergent Woes! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381437)

AprilIsche 04-16-2012 08:47 PM

Detergent Woes!

Can anyone who uses both Bamboo and Organic Cotton diapers recommend a good detergent? I use BG Elementals, GroVia AI2s and Omaiki Bamboo AIOs. I'm considering either the Laundry Tarts (but am concerned about the sodium bicarbonate in it as it is not recommended on Cotton Babies) and Nellies (but have heard that the coconut oil based ingredients can be bad in that). I'm pretty sure RNG is eating my diapers so I have to switch, but I just don't want to do anymore damage to them or void my warranties? Country Save is recommended on all of their sites...any experience or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated! My poor poor diapers!

g1zm0h 04-26-2012 12:13 AM

Re: Detergent Woes!

I'm not sure if this is much help to your or not. I have been using Nellies for 5 months and haven't had any issues with any of my diapers. I have AMP hemp and bamboo and Grovia cotton soakers in my stash and I have never had any problems. I always hang my shells and dry my inserts. I'm sure my opinion is quite biased, but I haven't tried RnG (I think it's pricey?). Laundry Tarts are 25% off right now or BOGO, so you should be able to try them out (I haven't used them either, sorry!). I purchased my tin of Nellies Laundry Soda for $15/100 loads in Toronto. Cotton Babies sells Nellies, so I'm not sure why they would not recommend it.
Nellie's Laundry Soda
Q.
What's in the Laundry Soda?
A.
SODA ASH - (SODIUM CARBONATE) also known as washing soda. In domestic use, it's used as a water softener during laundry.

SODIUM METASILICATE - A major use is as a builder (a material that enhances or maintains the cleaning efficiency of a surfactant, principally by inactivating water hardness) in soaps and detergents

SODIUM CHLORIDE - Sodium chloride, also known as common salt, table salt, or halite. As well as the familiar uses of salt in cooking, salt is used in many applications, from manufacturing pulp and paper to setting dyes in textiles and fabric, to producing soaps and detergents.

CITRIC ACID - This is a weak organic acid. It serves as an environmentally benign cleaning agent and acts as an antioxidant.

The Detergent is a coconut based (LAURYL) Ethoxylated fatty alcohol. Coconut oil on its own will wash nothing. It is therefore chemically modified so that it becomes surface active and thus performs like a detergent. This commodity is widely used by many detergent manufacturers because it is readily biodegradable, non toxic and mild and efficient. It is also NOT Petroleum based.

editrix 04-26-2012 01:18 PM

I've used Nellie's with no problem. I mostly use Sunlight Sensitive, and as much as I read all the bally-hoo about conventional detergents, I haven't had a problem at all.

I have used Laundry Tarts though, and they left DD with a red bum and some ammonia-smelling diapers. I gave them a good cleaning with my regular detergent (I think I used Sunlight, though maybe Nellie's) and didn't have that problem again.

greenpea 06-18-2012 07:50 PM

I have used sunlight sensitive too and it was fine...

Nanookie 06-21-2012 01:15 PM

I'm using Nellie's (mix of FB microfibre, FB hemp, Lil Helper Bamboo) and my only problem has been figuring out the right amount of detergent to use to get everything clean in my top loader. We've been CDing for about 5 weeks. I hang dry everything as much as I can.

You can also get 4 tins of Nellie's from the Costco website and it goes on sale for $10 off occasionally. Free shipping, too. If you collect Aeroplan points, you can sign up for a 50 point bonus on the Costco site.

Veronica 06-22-2012 06:19 AM

Over the past 6yrs we have used Nellies, rng, laundry tarts, lil outlaws, and none of them have done the trick. Tide is my best laundry friend! And a wee bit of bleach every now and then.
We have used BG's, rar's, thirties, and a tone of different brand fitteds.
Good luck finding something that works for you!:thumbsup:

pharmmama 06-25-2012 07:57 AM

I haven't actually tried it yet (I won't have the opportunity until after Jelly gets here in the next few weeks), but Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds gets great reviews as laundry detergent for both regular laundry and cloth diapers. I've started using it as my all purpose cleaner and it does a really good job. There is some discussion about it here http://lisa.drbronner.com/?p=127

hc100 07-23-2012 08:29 PM

We love our Laundry Tarts! In fact, I was this year's winner of Tarts for a Year. I love, love, love, Pina Colada and Apple Pie!

ClaireElise 08-26-2012 07:52 PM

I use both cotton and bamboo dipes and I've used Nature Kleen pretty much exclusively since I started cloth diapering almost 4 years ago. I've never had any problem. I usually put a little vinegar in the rinse cycle also to keep the stinkies away. I also do a strip with Dawn every couple of months.

If it helps, both my daughters have extremely sensitive skin, so I really recommend Nature Kleen! It's normally available at Walmart, the Natural Foods aisle in Superstore, and a store here called Nutters (I think it's a chain but I don't know what other provinces they're in.)

alexaE 11-10-2012 08:30 PM

Ive heard rave reviews for Charlies Soap. And its low priced.