Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Toddler Tooth Trauma (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381540)

mom2corag 04-17-2012 07:06 AM

Toddler Tooth Trauma

My 2.5yo dd did a faceplant two weeks ago and knocked one of her front top teeth loose. There was a lot of bleeding and screaming... but we both calmed down pretty quickly and I took her for an emergency appointment with her pediatric dentist. Boy was I glad that I had taken her for a few regular dental checks before this - she was perfectly happy to sit in the chair and let the dentist take x-rays. I was amazed. The dentist told us that it looked like there was a good chance that the tooth would heal itself back up, gave us a prescription for an antibiotic, and a list of restrictions (soft foods, no sippy cups, no sucking thumbs, etc.) and sent us on our way with a follow-up appointment scheduled for two weeks (yesterday afternoon).

Since the injury, she's done rally well. The tooth has firmed back up. It did slightly change colors, which I knew might be expected (looks somewhat yellow/purple, which is basically a bruise in the tooth). Yesterday at the appointment, the dentist took more x-rays - she did really well with this again, sitting in the chair by herself and holding perfectly still - and said that the root looks infected and he needs to extract the tooth. I was not at all prepared to hear that! Has anyone had an experience with this kind of a situation? From the reading I've done online, infections are usually associated with pain in/around the tooth and redness and swelling of the gums, but she doesn't have any of that. If it's inevitable that there will be a problem and we can take care of it now by pulling the tooth, okay, that makes sense to me... but my mom-sense is going crazy. Pulling the tooth will require sedation, which to me is even scarier than the extraction itself! I'm taking her to another dentist this afternoon to get a second opinion, since I feel like I need to be really confident that it's the right choice before doing something as drastic as pulling the tooth.

I should add that while I'd like her to keep the tooth to avoid her having a more difficult time with speech and eating for the next five plus years, the look/vanity consideration is a very small part of my concern. I know that some dentists offer a pulpotomy / baby root canal type procedure; I would opt to have the tooth pulled rather than put her though that.

I guess I'm looking for any advice from any moms who have had this happen? TIA!

pcjs 04-17-2012 09:03 AM

Re: Toddler Tooth Trauma

We had a neighbor do it and they just got a replacement tooth and it looked great. That is my biggest fear as my son has done a face plant like that but we got lucky it didn't damage the tooth and now I'm in constant fear.

sandrc 04-17-2012 09:51 AM

my friends son fell when he was about that same age. did a faceplant on the concrete and his front tooth fell out. he is 7 now and the adult tooth hasn't come in yet (it should soon) but the other teeth around it haven't moved into the space either. he has had no problems with it at all. he can eat anything he wants with no problems. it's caused him no problems with his peers either. :goodvibes:

jennak 04-17-2012 09:55 AM

my daughter fell down last December and knocked her front tooth out. She was 3.5. we took her to the ER but there was nothing they could do for her, she will have that hole until her permanent tooth comes in :(

jennak 04-17-2012 09:55 AM

my daughter fell down last December and knocked her front tooth out. She was 3.5. we took her to the ER but there was nothing they could do for her, she will have that hole until her permanent tooth comes in :(

mom2corag 04-18-2012 07:27 AM

Thanks, all. We learned from the second dentist that it's not necessary to pull the tooth - the x-ray shows what could be infection, but could also be that the root is broken. Since she doesn't show any other signs of infection (no pain, swelling, or fever), we've decided to leave it alone and monitor it rather than put her though the trauma of a pulled tooth if we don't need to.

hailey1312 04-18-2012 11:38 AM

glad that you got a 2nd opinion. I never heard of them saying there is infection when there are no other symptoms. If the root is broken or dying the tooth will turn gray is what i have been told. My nephew fell down the stairs of the porch when he was 1 year old. My sister took him to the dentist and they said his tooth would turn grey if the root were to die. So you will know in time. But my guess is, it will heal. His tooth healed just fine, even though it got shoved back up partially into his gum!

GreenHome Sewing 04-18-2012 11:52 AM

My two year old hit the coffee table a few Weeks ago.we were also given the it may need to be pulled speech. Weasked the opinion of a family member who is a pediatric dentist.she told us this happens so often to kids that they should teach about it in health classes haha.she said it is unlikely any action will have to be taken, just leave it be but be gentle with it.we did have him finish his antibiotics because he really injured the gums when he fell.
as of now, my toddler has gray teeth and my coffee table has teeth marks.his teeth were misplaced, not terrible, but I don't think he'll lose them. We were told that it its likely they will stay gray, but sometimes they do lighten over time.

mom2corag 04-18-2012 12:02 PM

Thanks for the reassurance! I just have had that mom-sense feeling in the pit of my stomach that we shouldn't pull out a tooth that is perfectly functional unless it were causing her a problem. We'll make sure to keep a close eye on it, and I'm pretty sure that we will be frequent dentist visiters (haven't yet worked out what follow-up schedule her pediatric dentist will want us to keep, but I'm sure that it will be frequent).

NATTYBATSMOM 04-18-2012 10:46 PM

Yeah, if you can avoid that trauma, do. My first memory of the dentist is having a tooth pulled after killing. I was four. I remember them holding me down and trying to give me the shot and me fighting them. Horrible horrible horrible. I avoid dentists now because of all of the issues I had with my teeth growing up, only go if I'm in pain.

My teeth ended up messed up too. Not sure if it was related to that or not but I had another tooth that never came in, my left eye tooth. It fused to the bone and the dental surgeon had to go in and remove it (this after two other surgeries up in the roof of my mouth that included putting a chain on my tooth to try and bring it down which meant I had a chain coming out of my gum!). Between that and falling off a pony at 8, my teeth and jaws are massively messed up. Technically, I need jaw surgery because I have both major over and underbites (my jaw is horribly crooked) but it's considered cosmetic surgery and it's supposed to be REALLY expensive, like $15,000 or so.