Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What does your toddler eat for lunch? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381659)

Ryder 04-17-2012 10:41 AM

What does your toddler eat for lunch?

My 20 mth old is in daycare 2 times a week and im looking for new ideas of things I can send for lunch/snack. Everything goes in a cooler lunchbag with ice pack and I have a small thermos we put hot food in. We either do hot dog, chicken fingers, or meatballs with a veggie and some sort of fruit. Snacks are goldfish crackers, craisins, fruit, or yogurt. That's about it for variety!! Any ideas???

carriek38 04-17-2012 11:10 AM

Re: What does your toddler eat for lunch?

DD is 26 mos...she eats "main dishes" for lunch like cold cuts (ham & buffalo chicken are favorites), noodles (any kind, but particularly ramen :thud:), PB sandwiches (w/ jam, bananas, or sometimes fluff), tuna/egg/chicken salad sandwiches...she loves hummus--in a sandwich, on pita chips, pretty much any way you serve it up, & on days when DCP is particularly struggling w/ DD, Beefaroni soothes the savage beast. She'll eat fresh fruit, applesauce, dried fruits, or even the Motts fruit snacks w/ her lunch. Sometimes she has some pretzels or veggie straws, sometimes a slice of cheese. She will snack on nearly anything (crackers, pretzels, fruit, granola bar, etc.), & is a kid who would rather have a series of snacks throughout the day, rather than 3 larger "meals", though she usually eats a good amount for breakfast, an okay lunch, & then picks at dinner, though she usually has an afternoon & a before-bed snack.

bluedaisyma 04-17-2012 11:46 AM

my 22 mo old eats hummus a lot with pita chips, chips or pretzel sticks. He likes annies fruit snacks, crunchy granola bars, any fruit, froze, fresh or dried. Crackers and cheese. Avocados, smoothies, yogurt. He doesn't really like sammies. Occasionally he eats cheese bread or PB toast or shares my sandwich. He also loves ramen and other noodles. Plain black beans. Rice and cheese. He is a snacker, not a big eater, except at dinner.

dworth629 04-17-2012 12:25 PM

my dd loves wraps with almost any filling inside. sometimes its avacado or hummus and veggies. sometimes we just do cold cuts or chicken salad.
Also she is a huge fan or cold pasta salads.

ArronDalesMama 04-17-2012 12:45 PM

Yesterday:

Pb sandwich (my fancy expensive kind since we ran out of the jar stuff, I've turned him. he now says he wants mommy's pb.)
Grapes
Trail mix (with extra dried pineapple)
Yogurt

Today:
Plain pasta with butter
Strawberries
Carrots w/Ranch
Jello

He is a vegetarian by his own choice. Everyday I send a main (be it a sandwich, pasta, homemade lunchables thing) a fruit, a 3rd side (try for veggies but sometimes he requests things) and a fun side he sometimes saves for snack time (yogurt, jello)

I've done fruit salad with plain yogurt and granola. And then a side of random cheese cubes and veggies.

I pack lunch everyday for him and most nights it comes home empty.

Truckerswife 04-17-2012 02:15 PM

my kids love peanut butter on whole wheat bread they also like cheese cubes grapes apples oranges raisins yogurt crackers or if DH is home I often do grilled cheese and soup or pasta

babylove921 04-17-2012 02:17 PM

lunch today was grilled cheese and banana, snack was animal cookies and blueberries..:)

GreyMum 04-17-2012 02:43 PM

My 14 month old is also in daycare 2X per week. I usually send:

Breakfast: french toast cut into cubes (she eats when she first gets there), but she could also have this for lunch, or pancakes with cottage cheese mixed into batter, or scrambled eggs with a little cheese

Snacks: sometimes cubed cheese - havarti is her fave! :-) ; grape tomatoes cut into pieces (she always gets this); banana; tj's jarred peaches cut up; avocado; cut up peeled pears.

Lunch:

Veggie from the night before - broccoli or asparagus are faves.

Sweet potato. I almost always send sweet potato.

Today I sent a black bean burger that I made from dry beans with cheese. (She ate some last night, but not too into it.)

Pasta with sauce (not a fave.)

Quesadilla (black bean and cheese)

Grilled cheese (not warm when she eats it, but she doesn't seem to mind. I suppose I do this because otherwise sandwich would fall apart, and she'd just eat the cheese. I also make it in the am when I make her breakfast, so it's not leftover from night before.)

Fritatta is a good option, but she doesn't enjoy it (even though she loves her eggs.)

I used to make cream cheese sandwiches with a little fruit jam, but she now rejects them.

Shimpie 04-17-2012 03:37 PM

Yup, I've sent variations of all these foods with DD to daycare. DD likes to dip pita bread in hummus. She also likes stirfrys with pasta and fried rice. Sweet potato fries are hit. Mini bagels make a good snack.

One of the kids at daycare has a peanut sensitivity, so there is a ban on peanuts and peanut butter. However, DD loves nuts and seeds. I've sent every alternative to peanuts I can find.

cashews
walnuts
toasted soynuts
sunflower seed
pumpkin seeds
pistachios

GreyMum 04-17-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpie (Post 14962985)
Yup, I've sent variations of all these foods with DD to daycare. DD likes to dip pita bread in hummus. She also stirfrys with pasta and fried rice. Sweet potato fries are hit. Mini bagels make a good snack.

One of kids at daycare has a peanut sensitivity, so there is a ban on peanuts and peanut butter. However, DD loves nuts and seeds. I've sent every alternative to peanuts I can find.

cashews
walnuts
toasted soynuts
sunflower seed
pumpkin seeds
pistachios

Hmm, wondering how old your daughter is . . . I haven't tried nuts with my DD yet. Perhaps, I should?