Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   The ONE thing I can not figure out! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1382333)

Mommyto2B2G 04-18-2012 05:04 PM

The ONE thing I can not figure out!

Is carseats! I have no idea why. I want to get something good (and safe) that lasts from the day baby comes home to the day they will be big enough to not use a seat. My youngest is in a booster now but it has been sooo long that I did the whole carseat buying/research thing for a small one that I am a bit confused. Also, I think because when my kids were little I first used the infant bucket seats rather than one that grew with them so mainly I think that is my issue. I have been buying here and there since I found out I was pregnant and the only thing I can't decide on is what seat I should be looking at. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg but since I am planning and saving it might not be that big of an issue. I know this is probably a no brainer but I think the baby has sucked most of my thinking power up. :blush:

MDever 04-18-2012 05:12 PM

Re: The ONE thing I can not figure out!

What are your rfing goals? Do you have long skinny babes or chunky ones? What do you drive? The carseat gurus(I am a novice) like to know these things. Right of the top of my head I would suggest a TrueFit.

Tati&Malika's Mom 04-18-2012 05:15 PM

I would suggest a Britax for a newbie and advise against 3 on 1 seats! Also what's your budget?

Mommyto2B2G 04-18-2012 05:31 PM

I have a Saturn Vue. We typically have skinny long leg babies. And RFing goals? I am not sure what that is but I plan to try to rear face as long as possible since that is the most safe thing to do I have been hearing. :goodvibes: I don't really have a budget goal but over 200 sounds like too much to me. So maybe up to 200? Is that too little for something good? I probably have a lot more reading up to do. Esp. on the new rear facing facts.

TPLmommy 04-18-2012 05:31 PM

I'd also suggest a britax. Roundabout is the most affordable & has lasted my kids RFing until 3 & FF probably until 5 or whenever a new baby comes & we need to pass the seat down. I have tall but average weight kids. We go from the Roundabout to the Frountier, which should fit my kids until at least 10. :goodvibes:

I'm not sure there's actually anything on the market that will last until your child is too big for a carseat. Our laws here (CA) are 8 years & 80 pounds (but we will go til the limits of the seat) & most seats expire after 6 years. :/

ETA: Roundabouts can be found on Amazon for less than $200. I've haven't paid more than $150 for my britax seats (I have 3 so far).

MDever 04-18-2012 05:38 PM

With those stats I stand by the TF. They have high slots so good for tall LO. They rf to 35lb which should be fine for you. With a thin child you could get over 3 easily. You can ff to 65lb and you would likely feel ready for a booster at that point. They are readily available for between $150 and $200. I really like the feature of being able to remove the headrest up to 22lbs.

Mommyto2B2G 04-18-2012 05:51 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions. :goodvibes: I just read up on the car seat primer sticky which helped out some other questions I had as well.

Squig'sMumMum 04-18-2012 06:16 PM

I will also suggest the True Fit :thumbsup: Babies R Us actually has the True Fit Premier for sale right now (has an anti-rebound bar and level indicator) around $160-170-ish, which is AWESOME.
DD1 is still rear facing in hers and she turned 4 last month (long legs, tall and thin). With it harnessing forward facing to 65 lbs, I think we'll see many more years of use.

jjordan 04-18-2012 06:48 PM

You won't be able to get one seat that lasts from newborn through out of seats altogether. But, there are several convertible seats that will last from newborn through age 5-6, at which point you can move the child into a booster.

These options should all work (and prices top out around $200). If you're going to use the seat for 5-6 years, every day, then try it out first and make sure you like it!

*Britax roundabout 55 or marathon 70 - you *may* need the infant positioner for a newborn, those cost about $15
*Evenflo triumph 65 or momentum 65
*Graco myride
*The First Years/Lamaze Truefit
*Maxi Cosi Pria (might be stretching your budget)

epiclesis 04-18-2012 06:50 PM

Yeah, you're not going to have to buy only one seat. There isn't a seat that lasts from newborn to done with carseats and does each stage safely and age appropriately. Also kids generally don't pass the 5 step test in a vehicle until 10-12 years old.
There are definitely seats that will last you until you need a high back booster, and you can just purchase one then, which is a few years down the road. :)

I would also suggest the True Fit. It sounds like it would be a good option for you. :)