Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Help! What to say to DH's family member's improper car seat usage! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1382854)

KandFsMomma 04-19-2012 08:21 PM

Help! What to say to DH's family member's improper car seat usage!

You Mommas are so smart, wordy and non offensive. I am not :giggle:

DH's family member just posted some cute pics of their baby on FB. She's in some sort of convertible, luckily rear facing, but the straps are SO loose and the chest clip is on her belly :banghead: the baby is 8 months old :cry:

I'm going to privately message him, but he is a very opinionated man, I don't want to piss him off and have him ignore what I say.

Is there something I can link him to that is simple? that maybe talks about straps and ERF?

They have 3 older kids, much older and I imagine they have not researched anything new. He's a stay at home dad too, and drives her around a ton.

Thank you for any ideas!

jjordan 04-19-2012 08:27 PM

Re: Help! What to say to DH's family member's improper car seat usage!

Do they live local to you? Do you know of a good CPST in their area?

BW1426 04-19-2012 09:21 PM

I'm a CPST and unfortunately, I have yet to meet someone who takes kindly too unsolicited advice. I spend a lot of time holding my tongue. Fortunately, I have a six year old who does not have a problem pointing out carseat misuse to others. If I were you, I might post a general link about keeping kids safe in the car, rather than confronting him in particular. If it were somebody you spent a great deal of timewith irl I might feel differently.

KatrinaLoves 04-19-2012 09:26 PM

Personally, I wouldn't say anything. 99% of the time, it's not received well. No one likes being told how to parent, and often they'll intentionally not listen, and will essentially "rebel" by taking a stance against yours. :sadno:

However, I have had fairly positive experiences posting safety videos and articles on my own Facebook. People see it, don't feel threatened, and have decided for themselves to make changes.
Put the information out there, and let them take or leave it.

Good luck, mama! I know how frustrating it is to see people endangering their kids!

KandFsMomma 04-19-2012 09:54 PM

Thanks Mommas. They live an hour away and we see them every few months. If it was in person, I would feel fine walking them out and helping them buckle her. It has worked on others in the past. This dad has asked my advice on a few parenting issues in the past, but I am worried how I will "sound" online.

I post car seat stuff on my facebook a lot, I think I'll just start tagging all the parents I know so I don't single him out. I've also been adding people to "car seats for the littles" on FB