Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Looking for WAHM ideas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1383660)

ayahnasha 04-21-2012 09:11 PM

Looking for WAHM ideas?

Hi there! I am new to the group and am a first time mama to my 9 month old babygirl and I have been finding it difficult to not work yet i still want to stay home with my DD to be her caregiver full time. My hubby only makes so much and i would really like to contribute to my shopping habit and to give our DD a good life but am not sure what i could do from home to help earn an income? Anyone have any ideas to help me out? Thanks

mom2a2z 04-23-2012 08:42 AM

Re: Looking for WAHM ideas?

What do you enjoy doing? What are you passionate about? Most successful businesses are built from something that is enjoyable/important to the business owner.

doodah 04-23-2012 10:40 AM

What were you doing previously? Any part time options or WAHM options to be had there?

ayahnasha 04-23-2012 07:48 PM

Well i love art, painting, and making things and am very creative but im just at a loss of what to make n what i could do with little start up cost. I used to sew but not a whole lot just basic things and i no longer have a sewing machine. Ive thought about making jewelery, candles, soaps etc. but dont even know where to start and i dont have extra money to purchase all the stuff needed to start so am looking into somethin i could do inexpensively to get me started to buy more supplies with once i figured it all out...

OFMommy 04-30-2012 10:24 PM

Have you tried knitting or crocheting. I crochet and make baby hats for photo props and gifts. It isn't hard to learn, but takes a little while to perfect, I got books from the library to learn. Supplies aren't too expensive.

lifeabroad 05-10-2012 03:13 PM

What about painting wine glasses. I'm thinking along the lines of "tata" glasses...have you seen those? Or painting any glasses for that matter, with family names, that sort of thing...If you do something that is "personalized" you could do just a few (of whatever you choose) to start and then offer great discounts at the beginning to get customers and a "portfolio." Take pictures of your product to show. This way you wouldn't have to make a ton of anything and a huge up front cost. You could go to flea markets and the like and paint while there so that people can see you working! Obviously, you wouldn't be making a ton of money at he beginning, but if you offer a discount or coupon for your work to start, you can get your name out there while giving people a good deal. Then, once you get a good customer base, you can get up to your ideal price. These are just some thoughts! :)

Keep thinking through ideas! I'm sure you will be able to find something to bring in a little extra income for you and your family!

On a side note, I love working with Thirty-One Gifts through the party-plan! It really is what I needed for myself and for a little spending money :) I know some people do not want to do direct sales, and honestly, I SWORE I'd never do it :) But, I love it. You can PM me or email me through my website if you'd like more info.

Good Luck!!

carrollrj25 05-14-2012 02:04 PM

I have been thinking the same question since I got pregnant with my second baby. I am looking into starting a daycare. However, it would be nice to know if wahm who sell their craft actually make enough to help contribute to the family income.

WRmomma 05-29-2012 10:04 AM

I have been wondering the same things. My oldest is about to start school and I have one on the way. With the budget tight as it was before me expecting, I have to do something. The man was talking of taking on another job, but we would never see each other. The stress from trying to figure out the best thing to do is mounding.

WRmomma 05-29-2012 10:04 AM

opps

lifeabroad 05-30-2012 08:44 AM

I feel like some of you aren't able to get the real answers that you want for some reason here! I wonder if you found some WAHMs here who are selling stuff in the the selling forums and PM them your specific questions. Maybe they are so busy making money they don't have time to read this forum :) I'd keep the questions short and maybe keep to only one or two questions so that it will be easy for them to respond. Good luck to all of you!