Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Birth Stories and Announcements (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Lennon Maxine's Birth Story (2 hour labor/waterbirth/rare placenta abnormality) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1383710)

momgoddess 04-22-2012 04:36 AM

Lennon Maxine's Birth Story (2 hour labor/waterbirth/rare placenta abnormality)

The Birth Story of Lennon Maxine

Born in water

Into her mama’s hands

April 17, 2012 7:42 PM

9 pounds 2 ounces, 20 inches long
Beginning of Labor

My due date was April 15th and on the night of April 16th, I had trouble sleeping. I couldn’t get comfortable and tossed and turned. I finally fell asleep around 2 or 3 AM the 17th and since I was able, I slept that day until my body naturally woke me which was about 2 PM. I got up and noticed pretty quickly after awaking that I was having some pretty good, yet painless Braxton Hicks type contractions. When I went to the bathroom, I noticed some of my mucus plug was lost…but I still didn’t think a whole lot of it, since it was not blood tinged or anything. At least I knew that these BH contractions were doing something. In my gut I kind of had a feeling this could be the start of something, so I started cleaning up and doing things I’d want done before going into labor. The contractions seemed to become a little stronger, yet still painless and I thought for sure that I was in “early labor”.

In hindsight, I now see that my “early labor” must have been taking place earlier in the day while I was actually SLEEPING, because things were about to take a really fast turn. I was standing in the bathroom rinsing out a waste basket when suddenly my water broke. With my last birth (the only one in which my water was NOT artificially ruptured), my water didn’t break until her head was emerging , right before she was birthed so when I was standing there and my water broke, my first reaction was fear (that she was going to be born within moments!) but that faded as rationality set in. However, I have a history of very fast labors so I knew that I had to get to the waterbirth center quickly. My water broke at 5:45 PM and I called my midwife, she said she could meet me at the birth center in about an hour. I hoped I had an hour. I discovered after I hung up with her that there was actually meconium in my water. I called her back and told her and she said that was okay and just asked if it was light or dark. It was light, so my water was just a light tinged brown color instead of being clear which indicated that it was old and that is better than if it were fresh meconium which would indicate the baby was in distress.

Labor and Birth

There was maybe a 10 minute rest between the painless contractions prior to my membranes rupturing and when I had the next contraction which was painful enough to let me know I was now in active labor. I was very flustered as I rushed to get leave for the birth center. When I arrived, I got there before the midwife and her apprentice did, but the receptionist for some reason had stayed late that day and so there was someone there. Her eyes got very wide as I come stumbling in with a towel between my legs and in very obvious labor. I just remember saying very urgently, “Can we fill the birth pool like NOW?”

The contractions were getting progressively stronger and closer together. I think I was just entering transition or close to it when I arrived at the birth center at about 6:30 PM. The apprentice arrived first and then my midwife. My contractions were coming really close together and they were strong. As one ended, there was barely a breath in between the next one starting. I remember saying, “Oh no, not another one already!!” every time a new one would start. It was almost a little bit scary how fast it was all progressing. My midwife asked me at one point if I’d like to have my cervix checked for dilation of if I’d like to decline. I was a little curious, but had wanted no cervix checks during pregnancy or labor at all (unless necessary) and I answered, “I don’t know…how dilated do you think I am?” (As I’m in the throes of transition stage labor) and she said, “I think it doesn’t matter.” That is what I thought too, so I said “I decline”.

The contractions kept coming one on top of another practically and I started feeling the baby moving lower and lower. I started to feel the pressure of her head. It was not long until I felt the need to bear down with the contractions. I couldn’t help but bear down. I did so with a grunting and I’m not sure how many contractions that I had the uncontrollable urge to bear down with each contraction, I’m thinking maybe eight? I had gotten up on my knees, upright because that is the position I ended up in with my other waterbirth. The floor of the birth pool was hurting my knees, though. My midwife said, “I assume you want to catch your own baby?” and I said, “Yes.” She then said, “Okay, we won’t put our hands in the water. Unless the baby needs help, we will keep our hands out of the water”. She sat on the bed, a good distance from the birth pool the entire time. The apprentices watched a little closer but no one ever put their hands in the water once the entire time I labored and birthed.

With each contraction that I beared down with, she was coming closer and closer to being born. I reached down and felt her head at one point just right there. Finally with a contraction I pushed her head out and with the next one, her body slid out into the water. I reached down into the water and lifted her up to my heart. The first thing that I said was “I did it!” My first thought when I looked at her was “Oh my goodness, she is so cute!” I just saw this round, chubby, perfect little cherub face. From the moment she was born, all covered in vernix she was so beautiful! The midwives’ first comment was “She is not little!” They were already guessing she was close to a 9 pounder. I stayed in the water and just held her. She was born at 7:42 PM. About an hour after I arrived at the birth center.

I was given a break of maybe 10 minutes from contractions, when the afterbirth contractions started and they were truly as painful and strong as the end of labor contractions. It was unbelievable. They kept coming and coming and they were way too painful than they should have been. The apprentice asked if she could feel for the placenta and do gentle cord traction. She thought it was right there, and it was…so with a contraction I pushed it out and it was massive. It was the biggest placenta that the apprentices had ever seen. It looked very healthy as well. I tried nursing her in the water, but she didn’t seem to be interested yet. I think she was in shock from the fast labor, also. After the placenta was birthed, they plopped it into a bowl and floated it in the water and then we clamped it off at her navel and cut the cord.

The Afterbirth Discovery

I was in bed snuggling my precious new baby, attempting to get her to take the breast while the midwives were in the bathroom examining the placenta when my midwife came to me and said, “Um, is it alright with you if we take pictures of your placenta?” I said yes, and she said, okay good because we’ve never seen this before. I asked if it was “good or bad” and she said, “Let me just put it this way, it’s a miracle your baby is alive right now.” Then she told me and showed me that my placenta had a rare abnormality called Vasa Previa and a Velamentous cord insertion.

This is my placenta. You can see where these giant, unprotected veins ran through the membranes and the whiter part is the cord inserting into the membranes.

Vasa previa is a rarely (1:2500) reported condition in which fetal blood vessel(s) from the placenta or umbilical cord crosses the entrance to the birth canal, beneath the baby. The condition has a high fetal mortality rate (50-95%). This can be attributed to rapid fetal exsanguination resulting from the vessels tearing when the cervix dilates, membranes rupture or if the vessels become pinched off as they are compressed between the baby and the walls of the birth canal. Normally, the veins of the baby run from the middle of the placenta via the umbilical cord to the baby. Velamentous insertion means that the veins, unprotected by Wharton's jelly, traverse the membranes before they come together into the umbilical cord.

The umbilical cord inserts on the placental mass in about 99% of cases. The insertion site may vary from the center of the fetal surface to the border of the placenta. The term velamentous insertion is used to describe the condition in which the umbilical cord inserts on the chorioamniotic membranes rather than on the placental mass.

Therefore, a variable segment of the umbilical vessels runs between the amnion and the chorion, losing the protection of the Wharton's jelly.

The incidence of this condition is about 1.1% in singleton pregnancies and 8.7% in twin gestations. In twin pregnancies it is higher in monochorionic placentation or when the placentas are fused than when the placentas are non-fused. The incidence of velamentous insertion is even higher in early pregnancy; in spontaneous abortions it has been estimated to be 33% between the 9th and 12th weeks and 26% between the 13th and 16th weeks.

The most significant clinical problem arising from a velamentous insertion of the umbilical cord is vasa previa, a dangerous condition in which the velamentous umbilical vessels traverse the fetal membranes in the lower uterine segment below the presenting part. In 6% of singleton pregnancies with a velamentous insertion, vasa previa is a coexisting condition. These unprotected vessels may rupture at any time during pregnancy, causing fetal exsanguination and death. Although spontaneous rupture has been reported before labor and with or without intact membranes, this accident occurs most often during amniotomy. (When the water breaks)

A Gift

IT IS A MIRACLE THAT LENNON IS ALIVE!! I truly know in my heart that she survived the odds of this condition because she was being watched over and has a very special purpose here in which she was meant to be here. It blows my mind to know how easily I could have lost her. Its things like this that reminds me there is a God.

She is so beautiful. I can’t take my eyes off her. Everything about her is so perfect. She has the sweetest disposition, too. I’m so grateful she came into my life. Named after my beloved grandma and another magnanimous soul, John Lennon…she has two angel kiss birthmarks on her eyelids that I’d like to believe came from my grandma, her namesake.

HookedByCarolyn 04-22-2012 07:45 AM

Re: Lennon Maxine's Birth Story (2 hour labor/waterbirth/rare placenta abnormality)

First off CONGRATULATIONS!

Second, I have CHILLS! My last baby, I was diagnosed with Vasa Previa at my 20 week anatomy scan. They noticed that I had a bi-lobed placenta and that it was low lying, so they did a vaginal ultrasound with the color doppler. That is when they found it. I had monthly ultrasounds the rest of my pregnancy and it never moved. I was put on pelvic rest and told that I would have to have a c-section in order for my baby to survive. I was very sad to not have a vaginal delivery, but I knew it was necessary. They took him at 36 weeks. He was in the NICU for 6 days. They showed me the placenta and cord while they were stitching me up. It was amazing. I was the talk of the maternity ward the whole time I was there. They had never seen one at the hospital be diagnosed in pregnancy. They HAD seen a few, but they were undiagnosed and it was too late by the time they found it. :( I am so thankful for that color doppler! I know it saved my baby's life as I have always had AROM in my labors. Our babies truly are miracles to this devastating condition!!!

MaterofJacob 04-22-2012 07:54 AM

Re: Lennon Maxine's Birth Story (2 hour labor/waterbirth/rare placenta abnormality)

Congratulations mama! Your little one is beautiful, and truly is a miracle!

momgoddess 04-22-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn (Post 14984336)
First off CONGRATULATIONS!

Second, I have CHILLS! My last baby, I was diagnosed with Vasa Previa at my 20 week anatomy scan. They noticed that I had a bi-lobed placenta and that it was low lying, so they did a vaginal ultrasound with the color doppler. That is when they found it. I had monthly ultrasounds the rest of my pregnancy and it never moved. I was put on pelvic rest and told that I would have to have a c-section in order for my baby to survive. I was very sad to not have a vaginal delivery, but I knew it was necessary. They took him at 36 weeks. He was in the NICU for 6 days. They showed me the placenta and cord while they were stitching me up. It was amazing. I was the talk of the maternity ward the whole time I was there. They had never seen one at the hospital be diagnosed in pregnancy. They HAD seen a few, but they were undiagnosed and it was too late by the time they found it. :( I am so thankful for that color doppler! I know it saved my baby's life as I have always had AROM in my labors. Our babies truly are miracles to this devastating condition!!!

Amazing! It is very, very are that an undiagnosed vasa previa turns out with my outcome. I had a u/s at 20 and 24 weeks where they noted cord insertion being at a different spot than the center of the placenta, but they missed the fact that it was velamentous and a vasa previa! I have photos of my placenta, too. I should maybe add it.

HookedByCarolyn 04-22-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momgoddess

Amazing! It is very, very are that an undiagnosed vasa previa turns out with my outcome. I had a u/s at 20 and 24 weeks where they noted cord insertion being at a different spot than the center of the placenta, but they missed the fact that it was velamentous and a vasa previa! I have photos of my placenta, too. I should maybe add it.

I know. They told me that the mortalitly rate for vaginal deliveries or undiagnosed VP are 95%!!! The baby loses their entire blood volume in just 5 minutes. Its so so scary and sad! What a precious miracle you have! <3

There's a web site for the vasa previa organization. I have my story posted there. I'm sure yours would be appreciated as well. Just google it to find it. If you can't find it, I can add a link later. (On phone now.)

TwinKristi 04-22-2012 01:37 PM

I would be interested in seeing the pic! That's so awesome that your little miracle defied the odds!

And my DS6 has angel kisses alllllll over his eyes, forehead and back of his head and we joke that his grandma (passed in 2010) was kissing him like crazy up in Heaven before he made it down here. :-)

momgoddess 04-22-2012 04:30 PM

* I edited to add a photo of the placenta. My midwife actually has a BETTER photo on her camera she is supposed to email me, but you can see how these giant veins ran through the membranes and the cord was inserted into the membranes too.

I've seen www.vasaprevia.org that is where I got the info explaining vasa previa and velamentous cord insertion. I do plan on sharing my story there when I'm more recovered. I had never heard of this before it happened to me. It's nice to know that there are other vasa previa miracles out there!!!

Mac & Cheeses mom 04-22-2012 05:26 PM

Congrats I am so happy both you an baby are safe. I too was at risk for this. At my 20 week ultra sound they found that I had a wonky placenta. The cord came out the side not the middle. They then did a vaginal ultrasound to make sure there was no other problems. They did not see anything, but they did keep a watch out for it through out my entire pregnancy.

I am so glad all is well, and your LO has some mighty strong gaurdian angels.

Almacham 04-23-2012 09:17 AM

Congratulations! She sure is beautiful. Your birth story gave me chills!

songbird516 04-23-2012 01:06 PM

That's amazing! I have read one other story of a mom who had a vaginal birth of an undiagnosed vasa previa, but I don't remember where it was...