Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When would you take a newborn out in public? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1383899)

Palooka 04-22-2012 03:30 PM

When would you take a newborn out in public?

Curious what other mom's policies are. I took my 11 day old to a department store because we didn't have enough sleepers, but he was asleep in the wrap the entire time. Anyway, I got a few shocked comments so I thought maybe I was doin' wrong.

Now my friend just posted a photo on Facebook of her with her 12 day old at the beach, and I'm thinking she's crazy!

Meanwhile I know folks who didn't take their baby outside until it was 3 months old. Pretty sure I would die. lol.

So what's your rule? Oh and, did it change when you had older kids to care for? (I'm guessing yes). :)

MilaniasSuperMomma 04-22-2012 03:32 PM

Re: When would you take a newborn out in public?

doctor said 6 weeks but i waited 8 weeks

jaelynsmommy61607 04-22-2012 03:34 PM

With both kids I had to go to the store to get prescriptions after we left the hospital. And I remember going to Walmart within the first week.

Honeymommy3 04-22-2012 03:35 PM

With my oldest I was out in public the day or day after I was out of the hospital. My other two were c/s so I didn't feel great soon after and I don't really remember but I would think within the first week. Probably not to the beach though, for me.

revolekim 04-22-2012 03:41 PM

I can't stand to stay in! With DS1, I was stuck in because our car broke down the night I went into labor and we just had a truck with no room for a carseat. :\ But he was born on Monday, and we still made it to church the following Sunday--morning and evening. :) And with DS2, he was born via c-section on Tuesday, got out of the hospital on Friday, and was in church on Sunday.

Mac & Cheeses mom 04-22-2012 03:45 PM

I think we were home 2 days when I took DD2 out to the mall so I could walk.

DD1 was 3 days home when we went to the airport 45 min away to pick my mom up.

I am a firm believer of exposure.

Sigkap714 04-22-2012 03:46 PM

We stopped at the store on the way home, then went out to IHOP for my birthday lunch the next day.

luvsviola 04-22-2012 03:49 PM

I took my kids out from the beginning. DD1 had to go back to the hospital on day 3 for tests, and we went out to lunch afterward. I had errands to run, and never took her out of her carseat.

DD2 also had to go back and get testing done on day 3, so she also went out. My MIL was here, and we went and did things. :)

matersalad 04-22-2012 03:51 PM

I think we went to Walmart or target at 3 days old and he went out to dinner with us when he was 4 days old. We go out right from the beginning!

beaute_marquee 04-22-2012 03:51 PM

I don't do so well cooped up with a newborn. I take them out as soon as I feel up to it.